Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eukofios

Fig Cuttings For Trade or Postage

eukofios
11 years ago

I have lots of cuttings and will have more. If you would like them, let me know and I can send some, if you'll send back the postage plus the cost of the mailer. The mailers are about $1.50 and postage usually a couple of dollars. I don't want payment for the cuttings, just reimbursement for mailing.

I moved a fig tree today and pruned it heavily. I think it is Brunswick / Magnolia / Dalmatica / Madonna. It was a NOID cutting collected 10 years ago in Vancouver WA that looks most like the Brunswick type fig. The figs are large, tan color, pale cream color inside, very very sweet. Here in Maritime NW the brebas usually fall off. The Main crop is also fairly late, so I don't get a lot of figs. I'm moving the tree to a sunnier spot to see if it does better.

I will also have cuttings available for the following next month. They are listed with the name I obtained them as, first, then what I think are synonyms if there are any.

Petite negri. For me this is a slow growing small tree. It's easy for me to grow from cuttings. Sometimes I get fair breba crop but mostly main crop. I lose a few of the main crop due to rainy fall. The figs have a great "fig" flavor. Fairly small fig but great "figgy" flavor. Not as sweet as Brunswick.

Hardy Chicago. I get few or no breba, but it's the first of my main crop, and I usually get lots of figs. They have a great "fig" flavor. Fairly small fig but flavor is similar to that of dried figs, I like it a lot. Not as sweet as Brunswick.

King / Desert King. These are green outside, red inside. This is my best for breba crop. They are almost all breba, but unlike the web info I do get a few main crop. This is my most vigorous grower. Very sweet.

Lattarula / Lemon / Blanche / Italian Honey / White Marselles. Good here for both breba and main crop. Green fig, cream colored center, very sweet but less of the 'figginess'.

I am hoping to add a couple of new or novel varieties so if you have one that needs pruning and seems interesting, I might be interested. Not interested in Turkey fig, tried that and didn't like it.

The Brunswick are already cut. The others I plan to cut this month.

I've tried various ways of growing cuttings. Usually I stick them, half their length, into the soil of a planter that is being used for other plants, and just water as needed for the other plants. I get about 80% of my cuttings to root that way, which is plenty for me with minimal effort. The more involved methods are probably better and maybe faster.

The pictured figs are Hardy Chicago (left top), Brunswick (right top) and Petite negri (left bottom)

Here is a link that might be useful: Petite negri fig tree

Comments (37)

• wisner_gw wisner
    11 years ago

Those are some nice looking figs. I've had similar results by sticking cuttings into pots. I only leave an inch or so sticking out. I rooted a couple this year in the tubs where I had 2 tomato plants.

• eukofios
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Wisner! You are doing exactly what I eften do - I have tubs of tomato plants and pepper plants, and those get the fig cuttings.

TO all who responded by email, I'll make a list so that when I prune the trees I can mail them to you!

• orchidtrader
    11 years ago

I am very interested in some cuttings if you have any left ? I do not have any figs to trade yet as I am just getting interested in growing figs. I do have other plants if you like or I will gladly send you the postage.
    Thank you for your time
    Darwin aka orchidtrader

• maysongw
    11 years ago

I also would be interested in cuttings from the Brunswick.
    I will reimburse you for the shipping and packaging cost.
    Let me know if you have any cuttings still available.
    Thanks

• eukofios
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mayson, I can provide those for you !

There are a lot of replies. I'm trying to get back to all. I'll be taking cuttings between now and New Years. Glad people are interested, I like to share!

• lebmark
    11 years ago

Hello
    I am new to the forum and the fig fever, I do not have anything to trade at the moment. I Like to buy some cutting of Petite negri. please keep me on your list.
    Mark

• lebmark
    11 years ago

Hello
    just remembered I do have some Italian Honey(I only can spare few), and white unknown, just was reading another post, and it hit me, they are in the fridge at the moment.
    Mark

• eukofios
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Everyone who responded - I have the cuttings now and will be packaging them over the weekend. I'll go through the emails to make sure I have your addresses. I will email you when they are mailed. There were lots of responses - lots! - so If I miss you please feel free to remind me. I was a little overwhelmed but should be able to get them mailed next week, and happy to do so!

I will hold off on offering more until I get through all of the emails and cuttings. I have plenty supply of cuttings, but responding takes some time.

Have a happy holiday!

• eukofios
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the first bunch that went into the mail today. I'll be working on the rest this weekend. The day I can get to the Post Office is thursday, so that's when the next bunch will be mailed.

My apologies to those who are anticipating cuttings and havn't go them yet - still working on them.

Have a happy New Year!

• Smaritza
    11 years ago

Hi! I'm new to this forum and fig growing. I am trying to grow different things in my backyard.
    If you have any left, I'm interested. I don't have anything to trade,but I'll definitely pay for postage.

• eukofios
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Fig Forum,
    Still have a dozen packages to mail - tomorrow if I can get to the post office.
    It's very rewarding to know I've shared plants with fellow gardeners.
    Unfortunately that's all for this year!
    I will email to each person after they are mailed, so you know to expect them.
    Good luck to everyone! Glad there was so much interest!

• vitalucky
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing: you have brought joy to many fig lovers!
    Happy new year!
    Sal

• frankcbd
    11 years ago

Yes, you are a most GENEROUS man. I hope everyone appreciates them as much as I do. May you be very blessed this new year.

• maysongw
    11 years ago

I too, would like to say "Thank You" very much for your gift. Perhaps in the future I may be able to share some cuttings with you.
    Have a great New Year

• sassybutterfly_2008
    11 years ago

Hi there! I would dearly love some fig cuttings to root if you still have any available? I'll happily send a mailer with postage if you do! I'm in Zone 7, not sure what figs are best for my area but I would love to try the Italian Honey if you have those available, heck, I'd love to try ANY! I had great luck last year rooting some cuttings I purchased off Ebay but we had a large tree fall and smash that pot (and our porch!) and I'm starting over again. Thanks in advance!
    ~Wendy /Sassyb.

• slavtho
    11 years ago

I wanted to write you a little note to thank you fot the lovely cuttings you send to me.I already propagated them and they started having roots.I`m sending you money for the postage.Thank you again!!!!!!!

Slavi

• zagnutegg
    11 years ago

I am interested in trading fig cuttings and citrus tree cuttings. I am in zone 7 in NC.

• eukofios
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, unfortunately that's all for this year! Good luck in your search!

• sergius
    11 years ago

Thank you Dan for making trading so easy, the cuttings are in process of rooting, and very healthy, Sergio in NJ.

• Paulo007
    11 years ago

Hi there !!!

I�m from Brazil. I love figs. I have only one, named here:roxo de valinhos.

O don�t know if its possible to you send me some cutting available.

I can try send to you cuttings of mine or send to you other thing cool for you from my country.

Best regards. Sorry my english.

Paulo

• eukofios
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Paulo,
    Nice looking figs! Sorry, I'm out of cuttings now, and not able to ship internationally. I don't have a permit for export. Good luck in your gardening!

• Paulo007
    11 years ago

eukofios

No problem :)

• cro_smokva
    10 years ago

Update: deleted post

This post was edited by cro_smokva on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 10:50

• Bud24
    10 years ago

Hi Eukofios, I have three that might interest you and you have four that interest me. I have White Triana, Paradiso (plum sized and sweet) and an unidentified fig that is ball shaped, purple/brown skin/whitish-yellowish-brownish center., very sweet and a little smaller than a golf ball. After they go dormant in two or three months, I will take a few cuttings and would like to trade with you. Of yours, I would like the Desert King, Brunswick, Hardy Chicago and Italian Honey. Does this trade interest you? Thanks, Bud24

• Bud24
    10 years ago

Hi Eukofios, I have three that might interest you and you have four that interest me. I have White Triana, Paradiso (plum sized and sweet) and an unidentified fig that is ball shaped, purple/brown skin/whitish-yellowish-brownish center., very sweet and a little smaller than a golf ball. After they go dormant in two or three months, I will take a few cuttings and would like to trade with you. Of yours, I would like the Desert King, Brunswick, Hardy Chicago and Italian Honey. Does this trade interest you? Thanks, Bud24

• tylorgv
    9 years ago

Hello, am a little late for this posting but wondering if anyone has fig cuttings for postage. Let me know.

• khalifaten
    9 years ago

hi Paulo, i'm from indonesia, and have some figs from middle east and europe.. i would trade my cuttings with yours..

• Bud24
    9 years ago

Hi Eukofios, I sent the following note about a year ago, but you must have been overloaded with requests. At this moment, I would like the get some cuttings for postage, because I have limited ability to trade cuttings right now. I will put you at the top of my cuttings list for future time. "I have three that might interest you and you have four that interest me. I have White Triana, Paradiso (plum sized and sweet) and an unidentified fig that is ball shaped, purple/brown skin/whitish-yellowish-brownish center., very sweet and a little smaller than a golf ball. After they go dormant in two or three months, I will take a few cuttings and would like to trade with you. Of yours, I would like the Desert King, Brunswick, Hardy Chicago and Italian Honey. Does this trade interest you?" I now also have a Black Lebanese (a name that I have given to this unknown variety from Lebanon). Thanks, Bud

• rookieGardener1209
    9 years ago

Hello I just found you forum and wondering if you have any fig cuttings at this time. Please let me know I'll send you postage and mailer

• rookieGardener1209
    9 years ago

Hi I'm a newbie on the forum and interested in all kind of figs. If I can get free fig cutting for postage will be appreciated. Please let me know email me your address at jebby1209@yahoo.com please. Thank you.

• Donna4095
    9 years ago

Hiya!
    I'm new to growing figs and saw that you generously offered to send cuttings for postage a while ago. I have a Celeste (Home Depot special) and can't wait to grow more. If you're still willing, I'd very much appreciate it!!! Email me for the address. THANKS!!

• sohelz
    9 years ago

Hello Eukofios:

I hope you still be interested to send some cuttings. I am in Dallas Texas area. During the past 2 months - I collected 3 different types of cuttings from neighbors (but none are identified so I donot know what I have now). Luckily - I am seeing some root growth on them and because of that - I think I can manage to root more. I will be interested something winter hardy as 7b zone (Hardy Chicago, Celeste). I can bear the cost of postage for shipping.

Thank you.

• Joe8391
    9 years ago

looking for cutting

• tobybul2 - Zone 6 SW MI
    9 years ago

Hello Eukofios: I stumbled in to this post and I too would be very interested in cuttings. I am in Z5/6 with 2 chicago's in containers. Please let me know if you are able to provide me with cuttings. I would be more than happy to reimburse you with the postage.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

George

• Nizam Uddin
    3 years ago

Hello Dear, can you plz gift me some fig cuttings. I can give courier expense to make courier in Bangladesh.

• HU-503665345
    3 years ago

Hi Friend can you ship these fig cuttings to India , i will Pay courier expense.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH