Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naplesgardener

Anyone live near Nokomis FL?

naplesgardener
16 years ago

We've been looking for a new town to call home and have visited Nokomis and liked it. It's small-town Florida near the water and the home prices aren't outrageous (not cheap either though)

We're going back for a few days to look some more and I'd like to hear from anyone with positive or negative comments because we know no one there and are making our decision just by gut instinct. It really seems like a nice place, less traffic even in the winter (high) season than here in Naples.

We've also looked in Bradenton but the prices are higher and the traffic heavier. There are more amenities in a bigger city but I'm not a big shopper (just grocery) and rarely get to cultural events other than plant sales.

Thanks

(I know not that many people look on this page so I'm hoping just one or two will have something to say)

P.S. If you'd rather reply to me directly so you don't offend anyone if your comment is negative that's fine with me too. I'm at denisedelong at comcast dot net.

Comments (5)

• annafl
    16 years ago

Denise, I used to live on Casey Key which is part of Nokomis. Please email me with any questions you might have and I will try to answer them. It is a nice, quiet area, but growing just like all of FL. We now live about 20-25 minutes north of Nokomis. My email is jajobean 1 at aol. What part of Nokomis are you looking in?

Anna

• naplesgardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Anna
    I've sent you an email
    Denise

• naplesgardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just a follow-up. We've driven to a lot of towns and seen a lotta houses and FINALLY found a town to call home--Englewood.

We liked Nokomis but couldn't find the right house. Also a lot of properties have well water which is so full of stuff that you need a whole house reverse osmosis thingy.

Anyway, I made things harder because I wanted a backyard that faced south and that cut down available stuff by 75% (ha-ha).
    We move in 4 weeks and I'm digging up my plants now.
    Did I mention that it's NOT in a homeowners association?
    Our current community is embroiled in a really nasty election with the nastiness brought on by a few really rude people who have no regard for the majority of owners.

I am not getting a huge backyard in the new house but it does face south :-)
    I am REALLY looking forward to waving at my new neighbors and knowing very little about them and staying out of each others bidness (that's a Delaware word).

Here's a funny bit-I've been going to the big box stores and buying plants that I would normally never buy (ixora, hibiscus) to fill in the spots I'm removing my special plants. Everywhere I look I see plants I can't leave behind because I know they won't be valued by the new owner (like all my butterfly larval plants).

We're so happy that our search is over. It was really exhausting and almost to the point that we couldn't remember where we have been and what we've seen.
    We were lucky enough to get a great realtor who found us the house that wasn't on the MLS. She actually called other realtors asking if they had anything (called pocket listings) and found a realtor getting divorced and selling.

In the past 5 years I've dealt with several realtors in 2 states and this was the best one. No offense if any GW's are in real estate but I have come to dread dealing with them for many reasons.

Oh yeah, the yard is on well water (house on city water) so I won't have huge water bills for the garden (after we get over this drought).

Denise
    moving day March 19

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Denise I wish you well in your new home. We have no HOA but some of the residents seem to think they are in charge. One of the newer neighbors told them all that when they pay his mortgage them they could tell him what he could do in his yard. LOL Our house is on the market and we are looking in Jensen Beach where our business is, it's only 8 miles away from where we currently live, and a charming older community.

• annafl
    16 years ago

Congratulations, Denise! Hope everything goes smoothly and that you love your new place. Sounds like it's everything you're looking for!

Anna