Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
countrynest

Jasmine Rice

countrynest
15 years ago

I have never tried Jasmine rice also known as Thai fragrant rice but I am curious to try it.

Before I do I would like the opinion of others who have tried it. Did you like it?

Felix

Comments (11)

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Love it!
    We like to cook Thai and other Oriental dishes and this rice goes very well. Mostly now we stick with brown or wild rice because of a weight loss program, but I love jasmine and the subtle flavor.

Kate

• trinigemini
    15 years ago

You cook Thai food? Hubby and I have tried ....bt it never taste as good as it does in the store. Whats your secret?

• wanda662
    15 years ago

I love Jasmine Rice. My neice told me to put a little oil in the pot and heat, then add the rice and brown a little before you add the water. It sure was good.

• solstice98
    15 years ago

The secrets: sesame oil, LOTS of peanut sauce, Chinese 5 Spice and lemon grass! I like the flavor of lemon grass but don't like the actual grass in the food so I just use a few pieces and take it out before serving. Almost every Thai dish gets a nice kick if you squeeze a lime over it. I love the bright flavor it gives the food.

Here's a weight control trick too: instead of serving Oriental food over rice, serve it over chopped lettuce. We do lots of stir fry over lettuce or spinach with chow mein noodles. The greens wilt with the hot food and are a nice contrast with the crispy noodles.

Kate

• thonotorose
    15 years ago

There is a Brown jasmine Rice, too. To me, the flavor difference is slight, however, the smell when it cooks is wonderful. Like a popcorn smell, sort of.

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

I love Jasmine rice too and it really is good with Thai recipes. Elderly friends of ours introduced us to Thai food and I checked out the library for recipes and bought the ingredients and we even eat with chop sticks when I think about it. When I've had orchids in bloom I've also put one on each of our plates, as a remembrance of eating out at this nice Thai restaurant. They had orchids, which we took home and also gave us nice scented hot damp towels to wipe our hands before we eat.

Try it Felix, I think you'll like it.

FlowerLady

• countrynest
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am crazy! I post a question that has been on my mind for a while then forget to come back here to get the answer.
    Kay, I also love oriental food. So next time I go to the store I'll get some. We are always trying new things. Both Syl and I share the kitchen.
    The other day I made a paella(dish from Spain) that was so good,lol, if I say so myself. Cooking international is the cheap way of international travel. Sometimes not so cheap as with seafood.
    Thanks guys for your answers.
    Felix
    Felix

• gatormomx2
    15 years ago

You can even get Jasmine rice at Wal-Mart .
    We love it .
    I have been using fragrant rices for years .
    Jasmine rice has a slightly perfumey smell to me-
    very pleasant .
    We use it with chicken , fish or pork dishes -
    not just with Asian food .
    Try using coconut milk and add water to make enough liquid
    to cook the rice .
    Now that's good !
    Coconut milk is the secret ingredient in Thai cooking .
    You can get light coconut milk and it's just as good .
    And hot bird peppers . Gotta have those in there too !

• countrynest
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks,gatormom,for those inputs.

• countrynest
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well,guys,Sylvia cooked somejasmine rice and it was very good. I did feel guilty because I should not be eating rice at all. Trying to loose the holiday bulge.
    We had the rice plain with other side dishes. Next time we will try it cooking it with coconut milk and try the other
    sugestions presented here.
    The flavour was very subtle,wich I'm glad. I was afraid that it would be too perfumey.
    Felix

• gatormomx2
    15 years ago

The other rices are good as well -
    Basmati
    Texmati
    Glad you enjoyed the Jasmine rice .