Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fuzzy_gw

Bailing on Florida

fuzzy
18 years ago

It's time to admit it: We're throwing in the Florida towel, too.

We had to make a choice:

Stay here, both work full time, let daycare workers raise Gracie, and scrape to make ends meet;

or

Move back to Arkansas, both work part time, and live a nice life with our daughter.

It really wasn't that hard of a decision. I'll miss our friends, I'll miss the plants (oh, the plants!), but the opportunity to give Gracie tons of time and love (and a home near her grandparents and cousins) is too good to pass up.

It's been great, Florida, but we're cashing in on our time here and moving to greener pastures.

(Much more green, and many more pastures!)

If anybody can afford a 3-bedroom bungalow in downtown Orlando, shoot me an email. :) I've got a cute one (that I could never afford) that'll be up for sale on Friday.

:)

Kim

Comments (21)

• ariel73
    18 years ago

Fuzzy,

I know that we are all going to miss you alot!!
    I can completely understand your decision. I know that you are doing the right thing for your daughter. You being the one to raise your daughter instead of the daycare is a good thing. I have a friend who had a nanny, and the child cries when the nanny leaves not when the parent leaves.
    I know that you won't be able to grow the same stuff up there but you could always grow a few things in pots and keep them inside for the winter.

Good luck in all you do, you will be greatly missed!!!!!!
    Ariel

• tony_k_orlando
    18 years ago

Hey Kim! Sounds like the RIGHT Choice !

If the blueberry is still alive, take it along, it will grow there too!

Will miss ya,

Tony

• treefrog_fl
    18 years ago

fuzzy,

Congratulations on your decision.
    Spending time with your family and loved ones is really what life should be all about.
    And Arkansas is wonderful! I've been researching properties there myself, seriously wanting to be there too.
    Think of all the great things that grow there that won't grow here, like fruits and berries and lots of beautiful flowers and trees and...
    And you're right. the cost of living might actually let you LIVE!
    The only thing holding me here is my aging parents who live nearby. They won't even think of leaving FL to move to "hillbilly country". Every time I mention it they think I've lost it.

Wishing you all the best in your new home!
    Keep in touch with us here.
    Hope to be your neighbor someday soon!

Treefrog

• coffeemom
    18 years ago

Ok, you can go, but you better send us pictures!!!! No not of plants or your new home, but your beautiful daughter. I was able to stay at home with my kids until they started kindergarden and I loved it.(They are in high school now) Time goes so fast, so make enjoying your family and extended family your #1 priority. But you didn't need me to tell you that.
    We will miss you!
    Kristi
    p.s. I'll never forget you opening your home to those in the path of the hurricane. You're a sweetheart!

• Bren2
    18 years ago

Best of everything to you and your precious family.
    Bren2

• cindeea
    18 years ago

Oh dang Fuzzy, you will be truly missed around here...hope you will still visit us! God bless and good luck to you and your family. Cindee

• julieyankfan
    18 years ago

Kim, we are in the same boat. With that increase in Citizens' rates, we will be paying $5,000 in insurance! We can't do it. My husband is working for the house and with me not able to work, we'll be stuck living for the house. We are looking at Texas, as I have a friend who just moved back there.

Good luck and enjoy you're life with your daughter, it's definitely worth it!
    Julie
    P.S. Get a greenhouse for those colder months.

• AmberSky
    18 years ago

Oh Kim, I'm going to miss you. You know, you don't have to be a Florida gardener to come talk to us here.
    I do admit that your reasons and vaues are spot on, but...Sob! I wish you could hold out a little longer, I suspect that property values are going to tank next year.

• Irma_StPete
    18 years ago

Please let us know how life in Arkansas treats you - I hope VERY WELL - and I DO want to see pictures of your new flora and fauna! Irma

• Lady
    18 years ago

Best of luck to you! It is good to do the right thing for your family. Florida is nice but not near as nice as a good family. You will be missed. I always think of you when I see that wind blower I got from you at Ariels. I painted it up black and copper so it has a real old look to it now.

• seatofmypants99
    18 years ago

I know you'll thrive in your new home, and Gracie will be so much better off for having you with her more.

Love and luck to you and your family.

• kate_9aorlando
    18 years ago

Kim,
    I'm sorry to see you go - I'll miss your postings and your plant exchanges! But I understand your reasons and believe family has to come first. Come back to the Forum often!
    Best of luck,
    Kate

• lynne_il
    18 years ago

Fuzzy,

I never got to meet you in person, but I have enjoyed your messages. Best wishes to you and your family.

Lynne

• Nicki
    18 years ago

Fuzzy, I wish you and your family happiness and health as you begin your new adventures in Arkansas! Oh the things you'll be able to grow! What a wonderful new life you're going to have.

You can grow hollyhocks, peonies, poppies, delphiniums, lilies... you can have a real cottage garden.

I do hope you share your adventures with us.

Take care,
    Nicki

• lyam
    18 years ago

Reading these threads makes me mist-up, and it's not seemly for a guy my age to be caught with watery eyes...oH I got sand in my eye, that's it.

I don't know much about Arkansas, but I hear it's quite beautiful there if a bit cold in the winter for my taste. You will also have mountains, which I enjoy, and some pretty big national forests.

There's also a pretty good radio show that I listen to that comes out of Arkansas that I have to listen to on the internet.

I hope you find happiness Fuzzy
    Tim

• fuzzy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey everybody-

I just came by to check up on you all and let you know how we're doing-- oddly, the reply I KNOW I typed to your sweet messages here seems to be missing (if it ever got posted in the first place-- sometimes I flub up and forget that I have to click "post" after seeing the preview).

Our house in Orlando is up for sale, victim to the glut of listings out there right now-- but I'm sure we'll sell it soon. We've packed up dog and baby and moved in with my folks in Arkansas until it sells and we find Husband a job. Once we do those two things, we'll start looking for our next garden--- err, I mean home.

Thanks for all the well-wishings! I'm missing this forum-- the Ozarks forum is half-dead and not very helpful. You Floridafolk have a treasure here in one another.

As for Gracie... She's six months old now (already!) and VERY into grabbing things these days. She tumped over her dad's water at a restaurant last week (into his lap)-- very impressive skills!

Here's a couple of the most recent pictures. They're not that good, but you can see how she's growing.

Upon meeting her beloved Fat Chick for the first time:

Upon spending about 20 minutes too long at the park this week:

Anyway, just wanted to check in and let you know that I love you all!

Fuzzy/Kim

• AmberSky
    17 years ago

Oh Kim! Whata beautiful baby you have there. You know you three have enough Florida in you to always post here. And you should, because we miss you.

• solstice98
    17 years ago

Kim! We missed you!
    Gracie is beautiful and The Fat Chick is pretty cute too.
    Keep us posted on the house/garden saga - I know it's tough to try to make it all happen but I'm certain it will work out great. Your place here is so cute and the garden is an amazing space - I'm sure it will sell soon.
    Take care,
    Kate

• scents_from_heaven
    17 years ago

Kim, you can post pictures of Gracie anytime and you will always be welcome on the Florida forum. Besides some of our gardening concerns are the same. I think you have an angel and the fat chick is not too bad looking either, *s* Please keep posting and know you are missed. Linda

• cindeea
    17 years ago

((((Fuzzy)))) It's so great to hear from you! You seem like family. We've been through all the storms together, the birth of Gracie, as well as gardening adventures, then sadly you moved on...missed dearly by so many here. Please stay in touch. Gracie is a charmer (like her Mom!) Be well and happy and know you are always welcome here!
    Cindee

• Nicki
    17 years ago

Fuzzy! It's good to hear from you and see your sweet little Gracie.

I hope you continue to check in with us. I still have pleasant thoughts of the plant trade at your place. :)

Good luck and well wishes to you and your family.

Nicki