Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nova_gw

Ocala Plant Swap Trading lists

nova_gw
16 years ago

I put a quick list together of some of the plants I will have for the swap. I will be adding to it as we get closer to the day of the swap but for now this is what I will have -

Mexican Sunflower

Brugmansia [NOID pink, white, yellow]

Cuphea [Twinkle Pink ?]

King's Mantle [Thunbergia erecta]

Bellyache Bush [ Jatropha gossypifolia]

Buddha Belly Bush [Jatropha podagrica]

Coleus [cuttings or let me know and I will get some started for you]

Bulbine [yellow and orange]

Blue Butterfly bush [ Clerodendrum ugandense]

Old Blush Rose

Alocasias-

New Guinea Gold

Frydek

"Boomer" Begonia

LA Iris "Black Gamecock"

Mini Waterlilies [yellow or purple]

Susan

Comments (33)

• bihai
    16 years ago

I already have or will be propagating the following (so far, I have to add a lot of stuff when I get into the greenhouse and start leafing through stuff):

Philodendron gloriosum
    Philodendron mamei
    Costus stenophyllus
    Costus lazius
    Begonia luxurians

• bihai
    16 years ago

Small white tacca offsets
    variegated mahoe
    clerodendron incisum "Musical Notes"
    Tibouchina heterophylla (the big fat fuzzy leaved one, can propogate)
    Costus amazonicus variegated
    Philodendron Brasil (can propagate)
    Crocodile birdnest ferns
    Heliconia rostrata rhizomes

I'll think of more later

• solstice98
    16 years ago

Susan,
    I'm hoping to be there. But I can't find a posting with the date! When are you planning to have this one?
    Kate

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kate, We will be getting together on the 19th of April! Hope to see you then!

Susan

• corar4gw
    16 years ago

So far, I have various colors of Christmas cactus cuttings rooted, several jade plants, lotsa Four O'clocks, Snake plant (aka Mother-in-law tongue), lovely pink philodendron with no name,(maybe someone at the swap can identify it), hopefully will have some rosemary rooted and starts of several other herbs. Also have 4 o'clock seeds, pink rain lilly seeds. Will update/edit this list as the swap date nears. cora

• bihai
    16 years ago

I can bring plumeria cuttings

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    16 years ago

helianthus debilis (dune sunflower)
    blue porterweed
    blue-eyed grass
    variegated artemesia (green and white)
    asclepia cordifolia (yellow sunrose)
    okinawan spinach
    dragonwing begonias-red(request these in advance and i'll root the cuttings)
    angelwing begonias-pink (again, request & i'll root)
    great veg seeds for fla (seminole squash, mississippi silver cowpeas, rattlesnake beans (pole)
    Begonia heracleifolia
    african blue basil
    spicy jatropha
    a few hamelia patens (firebush)
    probably a lot of asclepia (organic... aka weeds in my yard!)
    russelia rotundifolia (best butterfly plant ever!)

• laura1
    16 years ago

I keep meaning to get out there and stick some things in dirt!
    I have:
    Key Lime seedlings
    Papaya-seedlings but getting bigger
    Blackeyed Susan seedlings
    Blanket Flower seedlings
    Cosmos seedlings
    Hoya cuttings by request (lydarose at tampabay dot rr dot com)

• KaraLynn
    16 years ago

Here's a few of the plants I plan on bringing.

false rosemary - a native scrub mint
    pagodas
    porterweed
    turk's cap
    lady banks rose
    unknown orchid
    bromilliads
    bleeding heart vine
    chickasaw plum - native
    swamp lily - a type of crinum lily
    fortnight lily
    adam's needle yucca - native
    white and pink oxalis
    possibly some oakleaf hydrangea

raspberry plants - Let me know if you're interested in these. Mom let her plants go wild towards the end of summer last year and when she was cleaning up her vegetable garden last week she discovered that the raspberry plants had gone wild and rooted all over the place. I have close to 2 dozen plants sitting in pots behind in my backyard and there are still more plants that need to be dug up and potted.

If anyone is interested in any of the following plants let me know and I'll dig some up for you. If I don't hear from anyone then I won't bother bringing any of them.

Spiderwort - Virginia Bluebells - native
    Beautyberry - native
    white flowering dogwood trees - native
    elephant ears
    soap aloe
    lipoipe

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karalynn- Could you please bring me a couple of your native dogwoods? I have just the place for them!

Susan

• bihai
    16 years ago

laura,
    what hoyas exactly do you have?

• KaraLynn
    16 years ago

Susan, I'll dig them up for you this weekend so that they are over the shock when the day of the swap comes.

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Karalynn! The chickasaw plum you gave me last year is doing great and I have been wanting the native dogwood to add to the natives area I am planning.

Susan

• KaraLynn
    16 years ago

Susan, are there any other native plants you're looking for? If so, let me know what they are and I can see if I have any of them. I have collected quite a few native plants.

Kara

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kara, The area I am planning for my native area is under my pines so it gets shifting sun off and on during the day. Any thing that will do well there I would be interested in.

Thanks for the offer!
    Susan

• solstice98
    16 years ago

Sorry I'm so late with my list!

I have:
    1 Tithonia diversifolia (Sunflower Tree).
    Various orchids - all 'no name'.
    Various coleus - I'll post photos as we get closer.
    Banana - Mysore.
    Plantain - Rhinohorn.
    Coral vine (hummingbirds love it).
    Various cane begonias.
    Tiger Grass (if I can find someone strong enough to dig a piece of it up!).
    Coral Honeysuckle Vine (Lonicera sempervirens) - none started but I can take some cuttings if anyone is interested.
    Spider Lily (Hymenocallis speciosa) - I have quite a few of these I can dig.
    Both yellow and orange bulbine.

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have a few things to add to my list now that the green house is emptying out -

Vitex
    NOID Mini Roses
    African Blue Basil
    Cramoisi Superieur Rose
    Bermuda's Kathleen Rose
    Anne Olivier Rose
    Iresine

• solstice98
    16 years ago

I've been cleaning up old beds and doing some major weeding/pruning today. Sadly discovered that none (none!) of my cuphea survived the winter. If anyone has any to spare I would be happy to give them a home. I especially miss the batface - it had gotten huge and the hummingbirds loved it!

I have to remove the Rhinohorn Plantain from the trade list. I only have 2 stalks and both are WAY too large to dig. No pups are showing right now but maybe one or two will pop up before the swap. I'll keep watching.

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kate, I have a few "twinkle pink" cuphea up for grabs. I can save one for you if you want. My "Batface" made it through the winter but is pretty straggly looking right now but it did reseed a couple of plants.

Susan

• solstice98
    16 years ago

Twinkle Pink would be wonderful! Thanks!

• solstice98
    16 years ago

I'm just bumping this up so it shows up ahead of the notice for the 2007 swap. Hope someone contacted the poor guy in Germany and advised him to post his request on the Exchange board!

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, we are really getting close now! I was labeling plants today and came across a couple of more I don't have listed yet. They are -
    African Blue Basil
    Cat's Whisker
    Daylily NOID but you can see it in bloom at the swap
    Chaya, rooted, LOTS!
    Goldflame Honeysuckle
    Flowering Maple
    Pipe Vine
    Vitex
    Tony's Vicks Plant

Two weeks and counting! I can hardly wait!

Susan

• KaraLynn
    16 years ago

Does anyone have any lion's tail to share? Mine died this winter and I'd really like to have another one.

Kara

• solstice98
    16 years ago

Kara, my lion's tail (lion's mane) didn't come back either. I just bought one at Biosphere last weekend but I don't think it's big enough for dividing. I'll look at it and see if I can get a cutting off of it though. Does anyone know if they start from cuttings?

Kate

• gardencpa
    16 years ago

I have almost nothing but am coming for the fun anyway! I have a few cuban oregano plants and some four o'clocks and some birds nest sanservia. I'll take another peek and see what else but I have put so much in the ground, I don't have much left (yet) to share. Soon, very soon.
    It will be a great day. I spent all this weekend with my kids at a horse show and next Saturday is all mine. I am looking forward to it.

• corar4gw
    16 years ago

I realize I didn't have any exotic plants to bring, but it's a moot point now that I know I won't be able to make it. I was SO looking forward to meeting you all. But I'm not giving up! There will be another swap somewhere soon. Y'all have fun! cora

• solstice98
    16 years ago

As of this past weekend, I've decided I'm starting an herb garden so if anyone has any rosemary or other sun-happy herb, I would love a little cutting.

Cora - I'm sorry you won't be there!

Kate

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    16 years ago

it looks like i am going to make this swap... very excited. bringing all the things listed above, plus other goodies. looking forward to it!

• countrynest
    16 years ago

What I 'll be bringing to the swap:

Night blooming Jasmine
    Yesterday today and tomorrow
    Red flowering canas
    purple leaf canas
    june love aka cat tail
    rose cactus
    Thunbergia grandiflora
    dwarf bamboo
    confederate rose
    butterfly ginger
    pampas grass
    wisteria
    four o'clock
    sago palm
    pindo palms
    swamp sunflower- Helianthus angustifolius
    See you all there!
    Felix

• countrynest
    16 years ago

I also have seedlings of :
    Golden Rain tree

A beautiful tree that you and your neighbors will love.
    Felix

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

GOLDEN RAIN TREE!!

• solstice98
    16 years ago

A couple of you might remember my co-worker Calvon who helped me when I had my swap a couple years ago. She's a first time home-owner and a beginning-gardner. We loaded her up with all the left overs from that swap and I think overwhelmed her a little.

She works a second job on weekends and won't be able to come along, but she's ready for some new plants. Simple plants that don't require exotic care would be best. If anyone has extras I would love to be able to bring her a few things.

Thanks,
    Kate

Calvon at the Swap / 2006

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tony-You are a riot and will be missed at the swap. I will have Felix leave a couple of GRTs and I will bring them to you myself! Ha-Ha!

Kate - We will pick out a plant or two from my plants for you to take to Calvon. You gotta encourage, or is that enable, when ever possible!

Susan