Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nova_gw

Who's ready for a Plant Swap?

nova_gw
17 years ago

I would like to invite everyone to a swap at my house. While my garden isn't very impressive yet [I have only been working on it for a year] I do have plenty of room and lots of shade. I was thinking of the 21st of April to give everyone lots of time to plan and start their seeds and cuttings. We can start around 10am and I will supply sandwiches, chips and soda for lunch. I am located on the southwestern edge of the Ocala National Forest about 30 minutes west of Ocala. Orlando is about an hour and 15 minutes away and Tampa is about 2 hours away. I hope to get to meet as many of you as possible. Please answer here so I can keep track of who is coming and feel free to post what plants you will have to swap. I will e mail directions when we get closer to April.

Also, this is the first time I have hosted a swap so any suggestions on making it a success will be appreciated! Thanks for looking and I hope you can come! nova aka Susan

Comments (67)

• sherryocala
    17 years ago

Susan, Thanks for the alfalfa pellet tip! Sherry

• countrynest
    17 years ago

Susan, My wife Sylvia and I are also planning on going to the swap. The 21st of April is her birthday so she's not sure about it. I'll let you know ahead of time. We live in Summerfield. I will defenetly bring Butterfly gingers.I have enough for everyone. We will bring something for the apetite.
    I do hope we can go.
    Felix

• KaraLynn
    17 years ago

I'll be there! The date's already marked on my calender. I live in Inverness so you're a little over an hours drive away from me. I already have lots of cuttings rooting and plenty of extra plants in pots.

Nova, would you please set aside one of your native orchids (Encyclia tampensis) for me? I've been trying to find a local source to buy come native orchids from but haven't had much luck yet. I love adding plants that are native to the area into me garden. I have some extra native ground orchids (Habenaria floribunda) you might be interested in.

Here are some of the plants I plan on bringing.

floribunda habenaria - native ground orchid
    dwarf red button ginger
    white rose of sharon
    bromeliads
    louisiana iris - unknown color
    walking iris - blue & white flowers
    fuschia skullcap
    chinese evergreen
    fortnight lily
    hardy gloxinia

I'll only pot up and bring some of the following plants if someone says they're interested in them. These are all plants that are either growing wild on my and my parents property or ones that need to be thinned but are fairly common plants.

cast iron plants
    elephant ears
    common orange canna - hummingbirds love them
    shampoo ginger
    carolina jasmine - florida native
    coral huneysuckle - florida native
    honeysuckle (Lonicera caprifolium)
    spiderwort - florida native
    wild petunia - florida native
    spider plants - makes a great ground cover for part-shady to shady areas

I also have a lot of large red ruffle azaleas already potted up that are up for grabs. If anyone wants some let me know. If you need some before the swap, e-mail me and you could pick them up at my house.

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Felix - I hope you and Sylvia can come but if not I understand. On my "Special Day" I can be very picky as to what I want to do. If you can maybe we can have a cake and a special "party favor" for her!

karalynn - I will put your name on one of the orchids!

Susan

• butterflygardener
    17 years ago

Susan~ would you happen to have another one of those orchids?
    Kat

• KaraLynn
    17 years ago

Thank you!

• solstice98
    17 years ago

So what's everyone interested in? I haven't gotten any cuttings started yet but I'll be doing that soon. I don't want to bring the same old stuff I've already given out if nobody wants it.

Susan, what's a boomer begonia? I collect angel and dragon wing begonias and have just gotten started on the swirly leafed ones. Is it anything like any of those? Whatever it is, could you put my name on one? Let me know what you are interested in and I'll dig up something nice for you!

Kate

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kate - Here's a picture of "Boomer" -

{{gwi:432023}}

It is the only begonia I grow but I believe it to be "bullet proof". I got it off the "dead and dying" rack at HD 3 years ago and it is still growing in the same pot! It roots super easy and does need to be trimmed so would you like me to start some cuttings or just wait and give you cuttings at the swap? Let me know! Susan

PS- The picture is about old and the plant is much larger now!

• solstice98
    17 years ago

Oooh I love it! Cuttings are fine. Thanks! I'll bring you some cuttings off a favorite angel wing that's been thriving in the ground for the past 3 years. Lovely serrated and spotted leaves and deep pink flowers.

Here it is in a picture from spring 2005.

Kate

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I spent the day yesterday clearing out some beds and wanted to amend my list of plants for the swap. I won't have any chaya or coleus to trade due to our last freeze. However I do have the following -
    Cannas -
    Indian shot [lots! The hummingbirds loved this last year]
    Tropiacanna
    NOID (yellow)
    Costus [spiral ginger]
    Lemon desert Marigold
    blackeyed Susans
    Black Runner EE
    Nancy"s Revenge EE
    Looking forward to seeing you! Susan

• wanna_run_faster
    17 years ago

Hi Nova!

Sounds like a blast. I'm going to try and come too if that's ok.

Sherrycola,

If your mexican sunflower seeds don't take off, I have TONS of mexican sunflower (aka sunflower tree, botanical name tithonia something, should be on my exchange page) that I've been waiting to cut back until the swap. It's can be grown either as a medium (5-6 feet) or large shrub (maybe 8-12 feet). It's great for areas with no irrigation (once established!) and where you would like to hide an unsightly fence, etc. I know they are supposed to flower seasonally but mine has been covered in big yellow sunflowers practically since I got it. All you have to do is stick it in the ground. So far it seems vigorous but not invasive (& very easy to cut back). I have tons so anyone who wants some please let me know so I know how much to bring.

I also have lots of Frosty Pink Brug cuttings if anyone is interested.

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wanna run faster - I would love to have you! Hope you can come! I love my Mexican sunflowers too! Mine originally came from cuttings I got out of a parking lot of a auto body shop in Vero. In my old garden I had a hedge of them 50 feet long and about 12 feet tall! When they were in bloom they were a real traffic stopper! Needless to say, I brought cuttings with me when I moved. Looking forward to meeting you! Susan

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

After reading through my original post, I see that I wrote that I lived 30 minutes WEST of Ocala, well, I actually live 30 minutes EAST of Ocala! OOPS! Sorry about that! Now you can see why the DH never lets me leave home alone without my cell phone!

Anyway, we have about a month to go before our swap and I am really looking forward to it. Please e mail me - pond_plant@yahoo.com - if you would like to attend and I will send you directions. Be careful if you "Mapquest" directions to my house since it sends you the wrong way and I have lost a couple of friends and family members that way! Also, I will send phone numbers to reach me at with your directions. Susan

• nami
    17 years ago

i'd love to attend but since i am a novice i have nothing to give out :-(

except maybe some impatiens,begonia and geranium - but i have no clue how to divide them.

i live in clermont - south lake county so u shud be a little less than an hour from me.

• solstice98
    17 years ago

No one will care Nami if you have anything to trade or not. Just come to meet everyone, see Susan's garden, and talk about gardening. You'll probably even go home with some plants. Last year at my swap we had at least 3 people who came with nothing and went home with car loads! Gardeners love to share. All you have to do is promise you'll share someday with someone else when you have extras.
    Kate

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nami- I am glad Kate jumped in for me to extend an invitation to you. Plant swaps are about trading plants, sure, but it is also about sharing your extras,your experience, and meeting other gardeners! I would love to have you. Tho I have lived in Florida all my life, I have just moved to this house last year so I really want to meet more gardeners from this area. I have also managed to build up quite a "pot ghetto" of extras that I just want to find homes for! E mail me and I will give you directions to get here! Susan

• nami
    17 years ago

aww u guys are so sweet thanks susan for ur warm invite.

i just found out today that i will have to be in chicago in the third week of april on a work trip but i really hope i can be back by april 21 so that i can attend.

will email u for directions as we get closer to the date.

btw are u coming to the leu gardens sale this saturday wud love to meet u

thanks,
    nami

• abendwolke
    17 years ago

ohshucks! I am going to miss your swap :*(
    The 21st is the day when I come back from vacation *sniff*

I wish I could be there, I am sure it will be so much fun

Evelyn

• castorp
    17 years ago

I'd like to come too. I have mostly natives to trade.

*Beach sunflowers
    *tropical sage, both "coral Nymph" and red types
    *monarda punctata (spotted horsemint)
    *rouge berry
    *tropical milkweed
    *some kind of hymenocallis "spider lily"--very tough and fragrant and surprisingly drought tolerant
    *perilla "aka shisho"--nice herb/foliage plant
    *conradina (tough rosemary-like native)
    *other stuff I can't remember.

Would any of you have any aloe, agave, or yucca pups? I'm interested in tough deserty things in general lately. Right now I only have medicinal aloe.

I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for putting his on, Nova.

Bill

• solstice98
    17 years ago

I think I've finaly found a spot for a sunflower tree, so if you can bring me 2 or 3 cuttings I would appreciate it, Helen. I'm glad to hear you are coming to the swap - it will be fun to see you!

Is anyone interested in bananas? I have a couple nice Musa bananas small enough to dig up and transport. Unfortunately the Hawaiian and the Rhinohorn haven't set enough daughters yet.

I can bring cuttings of a yellow brug that I'm almost positive is Charles Grimaldi.

I'll have some orchids, too. But it's anybody's guess what they'll look like when they bloom. Yellow, I think, but no guarantees!

No plumeria this time. The last batch of seeds didn't do well.

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bill - I am glad you will be able to make it! I don't mean to sound forward, but I would love to have some of your spotted horsemint. I had some before but I lost it! And I mean I literately lost it! One day it was there then the next it was gone! I have seen it growing around here but haven't got the guts to poach it! Ha-Ha! I don't have many natives but I do hope I will have something to tempt you with!

Kate - If Helen forgets your Mexican Sunflowers I have some rooted you are more than welcome to!

Everyone - I will be getting together directions this weekend and e mailing them to you. I will include a phone number to reach me at too! Looking forward to a great swap with you all!

Susan

• sherryocala
    17 years ago

Well, the worst happened. My seeds were doing great until a few rain storms ago. I partially covered the frame with plexiglas so they wouldn't get flooded, checked them next morning. They were fine. The next day they were gone or shriveled/burnt. How disgusting. I have more seeds & have thought about sowing them right in the garden, but I'm rather disheartened since this is my 2nd failure. Drat!

• castorp
    17 years ago

You've got it, Susan, all the spotted horsemint you want. I have enough to plant a whole meadow.

I'm also trying to root some rose scented geranium cuttings.

And I have a couple of Italian Stone Pines (started from seed) the kind that make pine nuts. I don't know that they're supposed to do well here, but I've been growing one for a year in a container without problems.

Bill

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Three weeks to go and I sent out general directions today to my house to -
    Maureen
    Kat
    Kate
    Nicki
    Kathy
    Karalynn
    loverofdisney
    wanna run faster
    If you didn't get them please e mail me and I will try again!
    I sent messages through GW to Felix and Bill
    sherryocala and nami - You don't have email addresses listed so I need you to e mail me.
    Please let me know if you are going to be able to attend. Hope to see you all!

Susan
    pond_plant@yahoo.com

• nami
    16 years ago

susan, i just emailed u so u can mail me back with directions.

does anyone have any white colored shasta daisies?

they are such a happy looking flower!

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

Hi,
    Kat and I will be traveling together.

I have

phoenix roebelenii--single 6 inches of wood
    Jewel orchid
    red shaving brush tree cuttings.
    hibiscus psyche
    night blooming cereus
    odd crotons ( don`t know the names)

any body have

brazilian red cloak ?
    yesterday today and tomorrow ?
    shrimp plant ( fruit cocktail )
    shrimp plant ( red)
    Yellow justicia aurea ( golden plume)

Thanks,
    D`Ann

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

D'Ann - I have a fruit cocktail shrimp plant but it is looking a little rough right now due to the cold weather we had. I know where I can get some cuttings of the red! I am rooting some of the red for myself right now!

nami - I will get the directions out to you tonight!

Susan

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

Thanks Susan..

Will bring clipper dirt and 4 inch pots

D`Ann

• nami
    16 years ago

susan, can u put my name on the lavender rose of sharon?

please, please pretty pleaase!

thanks,
    nami

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nami - The rose of sharon is yours! It is leafing out well now and, while it is still small and needs to be repotted, it did put out a single bloom last year so it should be ready to go this year.

Two weeks to go and I can hardly wait! Susan

• nami
    16 years ago

thank u susan. what time shud i be there?

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

nami - I figure we will start about 10 to give everyone time to get here. The actual trading will be a little later on so we can all meet one another and share our "garden secrets". I am a little short on chairs so if you can bring a folding chair for lunch. I am getting some tables together for the plants and have a wagon and a trailer that hooks up to the mower to transport them. The house across the street is vacant and I have permission from the owners to park cars there. So far I have about 12 gardeners who have said they will be there so it is shaping up to be a GOOD TIME! See ya there! Susan

• solstice98
    16 years ago

I have some yellow bulbine that I could bring for trading. Is anyone interested?

And it anyone wants to carpool from the EastWood/Waterford Lakes area of Orlando, let me know. Pat? Are you planning to go?

Kate

• solstice98
    16 years ago

Susan,
    Can I bring something for lunch? You don't have to feed us all AND host the party too!
    Salad? Dessert?

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kate, Thank you and yes. How about you be in charge of the dessert? Something simple [cookie tray?] would be fine.

Also, I want to remind everyone to bring pictures of their garden or plant they especially like. My garden is still young and not all that lush yet but I would love to see what you are doing! Susan

• solstice98
    16 years ago

I'll do it. Thanks for letting me help!

• manature
    16 years ago

Hi, Susan! I'm hoping you have room for one more...I would really like to come. I'm planning to get to Leesburg and drive the rest of the way with Nicki, if all goes well. I don't have a lot of cuttings ready, but I do have quite a few seeds for various things like rudbeckia triloba and indigo butterfly pea vine. I'll bring those, and anything else I can scrounge.

Thanks so much for putting this together for us, and please let me know if there is anything I can bring along.

Marcia

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello Marcia! Of course I have room for one more! I'll even look around and see if I can't find a coleus or two for "The Queen of Coleus"! I am looking forward to meeting you in person! See ya soon! Susan

• nami
    16 years ago

susan, i can bring some nachos and salsa, unless someone else is bringing it?

i have some OG roses i can bring cuttings of. but first please tell me how to make a cutting!

the roses i have are:
    natchitoches noisette
    bermuda spice
    mlle franziska kreuger
    marie pavie

thanks,

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

nami, Chips and salsa sounds great! Bring them along! As far as taking cuttings, try to take at least 5 leaf nodes per cutting. Strip the leaves from the bottom three nodes and put them in water for transport. Be sure to label which rose is which. I already have Natchitoches and Spice but would love to try the other two. I do have some OGRs that you can have cuttings from to try for yourself. The easiest one I have is "The Gift" a polyantha. I had it in my old garden and brought cuttings up here with me and had about 100% success with rooting them. Susan

• nami
    16 years ago

susan, which ogrs do u have? do u need any gerbera daisies?

i also need to watch how to plant correctly - not too deep, not too shallow. (yes i am that clueless about gardening)

• solstice98
    16 years ago

Nami,
    If you are taking cuttings of your OGRs, I would love to have one of the Bermuda Spice. I have Smith's Parrish if you would like it in trade. I've never attempted starting a rose from cuttings so it would be fun to try.
    Kate

• nami
    16 years ago

thanks kate the smith's parrish wud be lovely. i can get u the cutting for bermuda spice. i too am really new to this. but i am sure the other experienced gardeners will help and guide us!

• solstice98
    16 years ago

Really off topic:

Nami - I have to ask (not in a 'grumpy, inflexible old lady way' but in a 'I'm just curious way') if you write the way you do because you are using a Blackberry or cell phone to do all your on-line writing, or if you are just used to e-shorthand and have given up conventional writing in all situations. This practice has become an issue where I work so I'm interested in how other businesses handle it.
    Thanks in advance for your answer!
    Kate

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

nami - I have over 20 roses in the ground so I won't list them here. Besides, you can meet them at the swap! Some aren't big enough to take cuttings from yet and some I need to see bloom to be sure of who they are. I had a little "pot ghetto" confusion and lost tags! Ha-Ha! Almost everyone has blooms or buds now and I am giving them daily pep talks to look their best next Saturday.

Kate- Depending on how hard I work at it, I usually get about a 50% success rate on rooting roses. It also seems to depend on the rose itself, some roses just root easier than others. It is fun to try tho. I do have a few that are rooted that will be looking for homes at the swap.

Susan

• nami
    16 years ago

LOL, susan on the "pot ghetto" mix-up! i definitely have to meet ur roses!

i see myself taking serious notes from u guys as my yard is a blank slate now.

and kate - i am on a laptop not a cell phone but i guess i have the e-shorthand disease?

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

One week to go and I can hardly wait! I spruced up the yard yesterday and everything is looking pretty good. Lots of blooms now and more on the way. The trade plants are looking pretty perky too! I am looking forward to meeting everyone and want to ask you to bring a folding chair if you can. I seem to be "chair poor"! I have a table for lunch and two tables for plants. There are two driveways for unloading plants then you can park at the house across the street. If you haven't e mailed me to confirm, please do so I can make a final head count. So far it looks like there will be 12 attending. Till next weekend!

Susan
    pond_plant@yahoo.com

• nami
    16 years ago

i am so there susan! i cant wait either!

does anyone have any blue-purple salvia to trade?
    karalynn, do u still have the azaleas?

• manature
    16 years ago

Nami, I'm digging up some Mystic Spires salvias and will bring a couple with me. They will be cut back a bit, probably, but should transplant fine. I will also try to dig some seaside goldenrod and some rudbeckia triloba, and I can take some cuttings from my yesterday, today & tomorrow, and my magenta firespike, too, if anyone wants to try them.

I'll have seeds, too.

Marcia

• goofy_007
    16 years ago

hi there,
    would be interrested in
    Habenaria roebelenii.

anybody in the forum, who grows this interresting species ?
    can offer for exchange the following Habenarias:
    H. rhodocheila, carnea, xanthocheila, myriotricha.

pls. drop a message, tks.
    Goofy

Sponsored
Trillium Gardens, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars44 Reviews
Richmond Area's Trusted Landscape Contractors | Best of Houzz