Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judgestoryteller

Seminole Pumpkin

judgestoryteller
17 years ago

Anyone have experience growing Seminole Pumpkins in South Florida? I need your advice. I have the seeds, finally. Couldn't get them from the Seminole Tribe or through the University of Florida, but finally found and ordered seeds on-line from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange at www.southexposure.com. I'm just not sure when to plant them. Best I can figure, February is a good time for planting them, but would like confirmation from someone who knows. I intend to grow them in the traditional way of the Seminoles. The Seminoles traditionally find a tree in a hammock, a tree with many branches, then girdle it, killing the tree. Then they plant the seeds so the vines grow up the tree. It ends up with a tree with pumpkins hanging from its branchs, an unusual sight described in the journals and letters of some early Florida pioneers. I've got trees on my property, dead ones, of the right configuration for such plantings. I've also got a daily supply of horse manure to compost and use with the plantings. I'm not sure about the best planting time though. My property is in a rural community in central Palm Beach County, about half way between West Palm Beach and Lake Okeechobee. Your advice will be appreciated.

Comment (1)