Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thonotorose

Bean recipe requests

thonotorose
15 years ago

Having reached a certain age in which I can quite clearly see 60, (Yikes!) I am actively working to change my less then optimal diet.

I am really interested in serving more beans and would love to know about your favorite bean pots. But..

No ham Pleeezzze!!! I will try a pork one if is sounds great though I am really trying to eat very little of that. I just can't digest it very well. Chicken or beef is fine, but I would rather learn about some yummy vegan pots.

I have heard of a Philippine recipe that uses coconut milk and would like to track that one down. And any other traditional bean pots.

Thanks much,

Veronica

Comments (10)

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Veronica,
    This doesn't qualify as a bean pot, but it's good. This has been one of the staples on my Weight Watchers program.
    DH Jim does have a recipe for diabetes-friendly baked beans that he's been making regularly. It's great and I'll get the recipe and post that later.

Happy Solstice White Bean Soup
    (I make it pretty thick so it's more like stew)

Saute onions, celery and a little garlic in olive oil.
    Season as you like: I use sea salt, white pepper and thyme.
    Sometimes I throw in a splash of white wine too or a little apple brandy.
    Add a large can (6 cups) of chicken stock.
    Add a large can of white Cannellini beans.
    Add chicken (either leftover roast chicken or something from the grill or even a can of chicken breast meat).
    Taste. This should be very flavorful - add boullion paste or seasonings if it's bland.

Bring to a boil and serve. Keeps great in the fridge for a few days and freezes well too.

You could use less stock or boil the stock down to get a thicker soup.

Kate

• wanda662
    15 years ago

How about a bean salad?

1 can of green beans, drained
    1 can of waxed beans, drained
    1 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    1/4 of a onion sliced thin

Dressing:
    1/2 c. sugar
    2/3 c. vinegar
    1/3 c. salad oil

You can also add other beans that you like.

• solstice98
    15 years ago

My mother used to make a bean salad that sounds exactly like Wanda's recipe. We loved it and I'm not sure why I haven't made it in years. Thanks for posting that!

You could substitute Splenda for the sugar and olive oil for the salad oil in Wanda's recipe and the calories would be tiny tiny tiny. Plus you get all the benefits of the beans and the veggies. Weight Watchers would consider this a great 'filling foods' dish and I believe the points would be 1 or 2 for a very large serving.

Kate

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    15 years ago

If you leave out the bacon and saute the onions in EVOO, this is a great bean recipe that might work with your diet. Click me. Then again, with the sugar in the barbecue sauce and the peach pie filling, not so much.

• nativemel
    15 years ago

Holy moly, my mouth started watering the minute I clicked on fawnridge's link. Wow.

Here's my contribution to the bean recipes. I get all my ingredients at Publix.
    2 cans reduced sodium black beans
    2 cans garlic and onion flavored diced tomatoes
    1 can reduced sodium yellow corn
    1 can Rotelle (mild or hot, your preference)
    3 cloves garlic (I prefer to roast in olive oil first)

Put it all in a crock pot and let it cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours. You will not need to add salt.

I like to serve this topped with shredded cheddar, a dollop of sour cream and some chopped scallions.

• tropicalfreak
    14 years ago

anybody got a recipe for a mean bean dip?
    Cliff

• imatallun
    14 years ago

Here's a great salad recipe that works for a dip, too. The recipe is from "Harley and Davidson Family Recipes" and is being shared without permission, so I will say every recipe in that book that I've tried so far has been fabulous.

Ten Minute Bean Salad

("Make this salad a few hours ahead so that it can marinate."... I'm omitting the warning about chopping hot peppers bare handed.)

Dressing

3 T. Fresh Lemon Juice
    1 T. olive oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ground cumin (I used cayenne pepper instead)
    Pinch of fresh black pepper
    1 lg. clove garlic, minced

3 15 1/2 oz cans beans (a combination of garbonzo, black-eyed peas and red kidney)
    1/2 cup chopped green onions including some of the green tops
    1 3" fresh chili pepper, washed, seeded and chopped
    3 T. finely chopped fresh cilantro

To make the dressing, combine and shake ingredients.

To make the salad, drain the beans well and put in a bowl. Add the chopped green onions. Add the chopped chili and cilantro. Toss the beans and dressing together and marinate for a few hours.

This is delicious, you won't wish for pork, and I suspect you can eliminate the added salt plus use reduced sodium everything without significnt flavor loss.

I loved your recipe, Mel, it's firing off my printer right now. Thanks for sharing!

• imagardener2
    14 years ago

Well I don't have a recipe but... I was watching America's Test Kitchen and they were doing beans that day. The big idea I got from them is that after doing the obvious soaking over night the best way to cook them evenly is to bake them instead of boiling on the stovetop.

I never knew that. Apparently boiling can cause them to split and look not nice as well as cooks them unevenly, some overdone and some underdone.

The way I add beans to our diets is to open a can (haha) and put some in the blender and add it to soups to thicken them. Also good to add a few in salads. Rich in protein and fiber, a can of beans goes a LOOOONG way.

Denise

• nativemel
    14 years ago

Cliff, my favorite bean dip is homemade from a can of northern beans, salt, pepper, extra virgin olive oil and garlic cloves.

Everything in this recipe is subject to your own taste, so you can use however much garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper that you like. It's really good because you can't go wrong when you serve as your own taste-tester.

I use a food processor to mince the garlic. Then I drain the beans and add them to the processor. Give it a few whirls until they are mushy and paste-like. It will be really sticky and thick. Slowly add the olive oil while running the processor. Stop when it reaches the consistency that you prefer. Keep in mind it will thicken when chilled, so if you are serving it chilled you may want to add a little more oil to keep it all smooth and creamy.

Next, salt/pepper to taste and then give it one last whirl in the processor to incorporate the salt/pepper throughout.

It's especially good on the really bland stuff like celery sticks. Very filling, obviously lots of fiber.

You can dress it up a bit with diced tomatoes and scallions. You can incorporate pimentos into the processing to give it a little splash of color. You can add a bit of jalapeno while processing to give it some fire.

So many options. So simple to make. Keep in mind any spice you add will intensify over time if you don't use the bean dip right away.

Denise, that gives a whole new meaning to baked beans. LOL. May have to try that one. My last attempt at ham and 7 bean soup was a pot full of yummy, although ugly and split, bean soup.

• imagardener2
    14 years ago

I remembered one from my s-i-l.

1 can black beans (drained)
    1 can kernel corn (not creamed)(drained)
    2 to 4 tablespoons sweet onion (red or white-your choice)
    couple shakes red pepper powder
    optional: add some cut up sweet red pepper
    dressing: oil and red wine vinegar

you can make this salad in the time it takes to open the two cans and it's a great summer side dish