Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nitelite_gw

Local Polk County Gardeners

nitelite
18 years ago

Hi,

I just wanted to see how many of us local yocals are in Polk County who frequent garden web...

Blessed Be,

Carrie Ann

Comments (15)

• FLsun
    17 years ago

here from lake buffum,close to booger woods,I dont get to frequent as much as I use to,but do enjoy the site& talking to other florida gardeners&friends.

• mboston_gw
    17 years ago

Hi,
    I'm from Lakeland. Spend lots of time on the Butterfly forum, Vines, and check out others routinely.

• nitelite
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I guess its kind of wierd that IVillage moved some posts and it caused a small uproar, now people are actually looking at this forum... I've always checked out all three, just like the 'exchange forum'.

flsun, i have no idea where that is at, got a 'bigger' city near you that could help me 'picture' the location in polk county? lol..

MBoston, we are 'kindof' neighbors!

I work in lakeland and live right out side on the other side of I-4...

Blessed Be,
    Carrie Ann

• buttterflyy
    17 years ago

I had no idea of this forum, either. Nice to hear there are others in this area. I also live in Lakeland. A woman named Janet is moving from midwest to Auburndale this summer.
    LindaA

• mboston_gw
    17 years ago

We should try to get together and share plants. I mostly butterfly garden and have seedlings, seeds, to share.

• nitelite
    Original Author
    17 years ago

mboston,

I'd love that... i will admit, I don't have much!!! Had a rough patch for a while spending all my spare time taking care of my mother... She is getting better now, and my first job was to get her 'area' done... [that is completed! although, will be everchanging] and I'm just now starting on the front yard... most of the stuff is not in 'bloom' because they are first year plants, but, I'm working it... slowly but surely!

Blessed Be,
    Carrie Ann

• scents_from_heaven
    17 years ago

Carrie Ann, I am glad that your mother is doing better. I consider us neighbors though I do live in Orlando. I live on the southwest side and I am only 12 miles from US 27 so i consider us fairly close neighbors. It is nothing for me to hop in the truck and run over that way. I do hope you have more time to spend in your own garden and May God Bless you. Linda

• nitelite
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Linda, I agree...

I am only 15 minutes from where HWY 27 and I-4 connect.

I will admit, I was feeling a bit wierd when no one posted here... I thought... are there no other gardeners who visit here in Polk County? lol...

I plan on going to Solstice's plant swap... and i hear, there is some talk about one might occur in tampa as well.. while I am centrally located to both of those, I still am thinking, if I can get my front yard what i want it to be this year... in the next year or 2, I could consider hosting a plant trade... [even though my house in in constant state of repair, lol]

BTW does anyone know a good tree doctor in my general area? I think I need some good advice, the original owners of the house planted 2 very nice live oaks on the property... but than they built on to the house, to where one of the trees is not even 4 feet away from the concrete foundation... we have noticed where the original porch concrete bottom is 'ribbing' from the roots, and we are afraid it will disturb the foundation on the house

Blessed Be,
    Carrie Ann

• FLsun
    17 years ago

carrie,Im just south of lake wales,LOL,come on over,I got plenty to share& you can see 1st hand the damage from the trees in the area,im closer to alturas ground zero,Bok tower was a mess,so many people shared their time in clean up,daytime is best for me,or in the early evening.

• pllove
    17 years ago

Carrie, I had to stop in and say, Hello! I'm so glad people have responded to your post...and I enjoy hearing some of the city names mentioned. Like lake wales and alturas......everyone please do enjoy yourselves..it is a great time! I have been too shy or lazy at times and missed out on several things....but I haven't missed out on everything! LOL

• jhl1654
    17 years ago

Carrie Ann

What types of tropical fruit trees do you notice driving around Lake Wales. I am thinking about moving there

• nitelite
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Maureen,

I actually do not live in Lake Wales, but drive there on occasion since my mothers cardiologist is there... [1 hour drive one way]

And i really don't see anything fruit wise.... sorry!!!!

[i personally don't like that area myself... but, thats just me]

flsun can help you, she lives in that area!

Blessed Be,
    Carrie Ann

• scents_from_heaven
    17 years ago

flsun, all of sudden in rereading this post I know exactly when you live. I used to live in Sebring and worked for DCF and have wandered around your neck of the woods headed to Lakeland on the back roads. Always looking for a closer route. You do live in a nice area. Linda

• FLsun
    17 years ago

I like it linda ,were still rural,however thats quickly changing with development,yes the back roads,,Im in sebring avon park,lake placid(Football MOM)plenty,Maureen,loquat,mulberry,papaya,citrus,etc..carrie ,I agree with you lake wales is far different than it was 20 yrs ago,I live 16 miles out of the city,when it gets too developed here I will be ready to move,just something about going to your mailbox with a house coat&muck boots without a stare is worth it all to me,LOL

• jhl1654
    17 years ago

I look foreward to moving to a rural area where I can also have some privacy. Lake Placid is a little bit too far. It would have to be somewhere where I can get 5 acres of land at a reasonable price and be able to grow any type of Tropical fruit trees that I want, without having to worry about the freeze killing them.I've been to Sebring a couple of times ,the land prices are really outrageous

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert