Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

There goes my garden budget...

solstice98
16 years ago

Disaster stuck my house this past weekend. Got up to find 2 inches of water in the kitchen. Turned out to be a leak in the hot water pipes in the slab. Yikes! We considered the cost of fixing the leak, which involved tearing up the kitchen floor, versus having the house re-plumbed. We opted for re-plumbing because we were convinced once you have one leak, others can't be far behind. They go up through the attic space instead of tearing up concrete. But OH MY it's expensive! Doesn't leave much in the budget for plants this year. Actually, it doesn't leave anything but I'm sure I'll find $20 or so to take to the Leu Gardens plant sale.

Now I have multiple holes in every wall and the contents of every bathroom cabinet - and most of my closets - are stacked up around the house. They'll fix the holes and repair the drywall but of course we'll have to do the painting. In almost every room. OH MY. This could take months.

Now don't get me wrong: I fully realize this is nothing compared to bad health issues, loss of loved ones and some of the other family crisis we share with each other. I understand that and am not looking for sympathy. It's just that this was so unexpected and it has not been fun. I needed to share it with you all. My house is only 16 years old and for 2 years it's been one big house project after another. First, a direct lightning strike zapped my air conditioning (smokin'!) and pool pump equipment (fused into a lump). Then remember my collapsed ceiling in the kitchen due to a leaking roof? The ceiling repair went well but the resulting mold in the adjoining wall is still a problem and the insurance company continues to send people out to 'look at it'. I wonder often if that's why Jim and I have been struggling with bronchitis for 4 months.

But you have to look on the bright side, don't you? The good news is that having plumbers up in the attic for 3 days, poking into the farthest corners to reach piping for each bathroom, seems to have scared the attic squirrels away! Little B******ds will probably come back after the plumbers leave but at least for now they are gone. Too bad you can't hire an owl to set up residence in your attic. I would rather put up with a bit of owl p**p than with messy squirrels.

Kate (who is feeling a little sorry for herself today but will be fine tomorrow)

Comments (21)

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Oh Kate, my heart goes out to you. I don't blame you one bit for feeling sorry for yourself. I had something similar, but not near as serious happen. The water hose under my kitchen sink that goes to the purification system broke and I woke up to 2 inches of water at 1:30 in the morning. And then there is my pool, 10 leaks in 12 years at $500 to a $1000 per leak. Owning a home is a challenge. It is leaking now and we can't find it again. But try to keep in good spirits, because bad thoughts bring on bad karma. We love you and you can vent anytime. :o)

• julieyankfan
    16 years ago

What a mess! Getting the entire house re-plumbed and then getting the bill is more stress that one should have to put up with, especially in a 16 yr. old house.

Is it possible that, while they're up there, there is something that can be done to the attic to keep the squirrels out? Maybe someone on here knows of something.

Good luck with it all.
    Julie

• beth7happy
    16 years ago

oh boy, Kate... SOOOO sorry. House problems are just no fun....(some of us remember the hurricanes of 2004 ALL too well)....getting new plumbing is great, but, at the same time...it's the pits! Plumbin' AIN'T pretty. :( Nope, it's not the same as poor health or loss of a loved one, but, none-the-less, it's a real nasty blow and I'm sorry you are having to deal with it... thinking of you! HUGS.

• lynne_melb
    16 years ago

Kate, doesn't sound like fun. Hang in there.

• scents_from_heaven
    16 years ago

Kate, I am so sorry that you are experiencing all the stress of the current plunbling situation. Know that there are many of us out here who will share whatever plants we have with you and sometimes we have rare plants you can get pieces of. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make everything right for you, but alas Mickey will nto allow meto take the wand off property. My heart goes out to you and rememver that our shoulders are always available for you to cry upon. Linda

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Who's idea was it anyways to bring water into the house???

sorry to hear its your turn now. We did our 23yrs ago and still remember it well.

Best of luck
    tony

• FlowerLady6
    16 years ago

(((Kate))) Unexpected things like that can really be the pits. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this plumbing probably and hope all goes well and hope the mold problem gets finished up for you as well.

Our last water bill was huge compared to what we usually pay. We read the meter and it was right, but seemed to be moving at a steady clip, so we started checking things and finally found a leak in the old copper piping under the house under the kitchen. We fixed it temporarily with one of those clamp deals that you get at HD. DH is thinking we may have to redo the piping, not a project to look forward to. Our cottage is over 50 years old.

In spite of all the hassles that come with owning your own home, it is worth it.

Hang in there and pretty soon this will all be a thing of the past.

FlowerLady

• nytrinigemini
    16 years ago

Kate,

So sorry to hear about your home owner problems......DH was just complaining how we always seem to have something go wrong....I think once you own a home you just have to expect things to go wrong sometimes....it just sucks how everything always seems to go wrong at the same time. Good Luck with your plumbing woes.

• solstice98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh you all are so sweet and good to listen to me whine! I'm feeling much better today and sitting at work looking at paint colors on-line. (Don't tell my boss!). This will be the year I'll change all the colors in the house, I guess, since I have to repaint everything anyway.

The plumbing problem has gotten more complicated and today they are digging up the concrete under the dishwasher and water heater to run 'one more pipe'. But it is what it is and worrying doesn't change anything.

Thanks for your support, Friends!

Kate

(Tony, tell MaryBeth I just found the most beautiful begonia print quilt fabric on e bay! Her lovely quilts have inspired me to dust off the sewing machine. I haven't done a quilt in 2 years so its about time.)

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Glad to hear you are feeling better today. I sure know how depressing it can be with unexpected BIG expenses. Just know we are always here if you need to whine. Everybody needs a friend or two to listen. :o)

• coffeemom
    16 years ago

Please DO NOT let them touch the mosaic wall!!!!!!

• solstice98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL! The first thing Jim told them was that if the wall got cracked somebody was going to die. He made it clear that although he considers himself to be fairly manly, he would have no trouble pointing at them and running like hell in the other direction when I got home. They took him seriously and have shown me each day that the wall is still intact. However, they did cut 4 large holes in the living room wall to access the little bar sink that's beside the wall in the patio! Given the choice I may have opted to just get rid of that sink, but there's holes everywhere else so I guess it doesn't matter. I'll post some pictures this weekend so those of you who have not re-plumbed can see what you have to look forward to some day.

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Does this happen often, that the pipes leak in the slab? Then why isn't the plumping run in the attic in the first place?

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Kate,

try to make sure the plumbers indicate several times in many ways that the leak(s) are a result of lightning damage. You probably already know this.

(I will mention the fabric on ebay to MB, thanks for the tip) Glad you are getting interested in it again, Poor Jim, he and I will be quilters Widowers together. (no, this isnt Pete!)

• solstice98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kathy,
    I think it is a fairly common occurrence. Piping is laid down with connections coming up, then the slab is poured. The piping is mainly below the slab with the connections sealed in by the poured slab. The house gets built around it all. It's much easier for the builders and it's been accepted practice for a long, long time.

To tun it through the attic takes a lot more piping and they would have to coordinate the plumbers schedule so that they could come in after the framing goes up but before the drywall. It's all easier to let the homeowner deal with it 20 years down the road. Lots of our neighbors have already had to do this - houses from 12 to 22 years old - so we're all thihnking some inferior supplies might have been used. Who knows. It is what it is. You just deal with it when it happens. .. and then you go to the store and buy a flat of impatiens in oranges and reds to make yourself feel better! Woo hoo!

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Good for you getting those pretty impatients and for being able to say woo hoo now!

Wish I know known this before we built, I would have put the pipes in the attic. The funny thing was I said to myself at the time, wow if those pipe ever break in the concrete, oh no they know what they are doing. Yeah, right!!! Builder beware, if I ever build again.

• solstice98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Plumbing is all fixed and the drywall is repaired! Of course, there is drywall dust EVERYWHERE but I took today off (that why I'm on the computer) to clean, clean, clean. Since there were holes in the walls of almost every room, there's drywall dust coating everything in every room. Ah well, it all needed a good spring cleaning anyway.

The poor plumbers thought the job was going to be one day and that's how it was quoted. But it ended up taking 4 long days - they were here until 8pm 3 nights. But there was no additional charges for the problems they ran into. Can you believe that? They could not get through the connection to the kitchen sink because of a weird T connection under the slab, so instead of breaking through the floor and the tiles in the middle of the kitchen they broke through the slab in the garage, then pulled out the dishwasher (again) and broke through under that; then they pushed through a new pipe from the garage to the kitchen and came up in the space under the dishwasher, then through the side of the cabinet into the under-sink space.
    On Thursday the drywallers came in and did a great job repairing every hole and mark. I'm impressed.
    The only problem I still have is missing fixtures from one of the showers. Just gone. I'm sure it got tossed out with broken tiles and other trash. For all the extra work they had to do I'm not even going to ask them about it. Maybe when I'm at H0me Dep0t picking up a new fixture I can swing through the garden shop...

I have family coming in from out of town tonight for a weekend stay so I better get back to housecleaning. Yuk. I would rather be in the garden!

• butterflygardener
    16 years ago

Wow! They sound like a wonderful company. So glad you're on the up swing!
    Kat

• FlowerLady6
    16 years ago

Glad to hear things are done and done well and no extra charge. Sounds like a great bunch.

Hope you find some nice little plant treats when you go to pick up fixtures. : -)

"housecleaning. YUK. I would rather be out in the garden!" I know just what you mean.

FlowerLady

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Me too, glad things are looking up for you and hope you find a plant or two to brighten your day. ;o)

• msmarion
    16 years ago

What a week for you Kate. Sometimes it just s%$ks being a homeowner. Have fun in the garden dept err...err... I mean plumbing dept. LOL

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz