Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Pet Food Recall

solstice98
17 years ago

Does anybody else think it's interesting that all of these brands were made by the same company? My vets have always recommend just dry kibble so I don't use canned food for any of my animals. But if I had been paying Neutro or Iams prices for canned food and just found out that the lowest price brands are made at the same plant I think I would be upset. An interview with the production manager from the plant revealed that the ingredients are pretty much the same for all their products, some just have juicier gravy, some have larger or smaller chunks, etc.

Makes me wonder about the alleged quality of the dry stuff too. Are higher priced brands really better or not?

I don't remember seeing any Purina products on the list, so maybe they make and control their own.

Comments (10)

• coffeemom
    17 years ago

I think it's a little ironic too. I work at a Vet's and the Rep's buy us lunch and show us pics of the plant where the food is made and then this???
    The problem seems to be the wheat gluten they use as filler.

• coffeemom
    17 years ago

Rat Poison? What 3rd world country did they buy this stuff from? Heads will roll and lawsuits will be filed.

• tropicalfreak
    17 years ago

Makes you wonder if someone is testing something...to use on us.

• solstice98
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Cliff, I keep hearing them say that this doesn't appear to be intentional contamination, but I agree it would be an interesting way for the bad guys to test it out. I was thinking about that too.

• danay74
    17 years ago

this is the way things work for our regular human products too. Just because the label reads a recognized brand doesn't mean much. This is why Pubilx, Wynn Dixie, etc. can make their own labels. Same stuff, same factory/plant, different label.

• hopeful_in_Brevard
    16 years ago

I have been watching the list grow. We were safe, but then they announced that dog treats "DINGOs" were being withdrawn because of Samenilla. My Franky loves this treat, I threw them out. I was doubly worried because on the web they said some healthy dogs could have it and be a carrier and that it could be transmited to humans. Particularly against people with surpressed imune systems. DH had a liver transplant and is on anti rejection drugs. I asked my vet about this and they weren't sure about it, but finally said it was possible if you handled feces.

• solstice98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Due to stomach acidity, dogs and cats are not normally susceptible to Salmonella or many of the other food poisoning agents that effect us, so the pet food companies don't have to try to control them. Now with the new focus on pet food safety, I expect we'll see stricter rules. It's always been a bad idea to handle dog food without washing your hands after, because of the salmonella danger. From a dog who carries the bacteria (about 36% of all dogs & 17% of domestic cats) you can be exposed by saliva or feces. Your DH needs to be very careful.
    30+ years ago when I was in college we did testing on this same subject so I've been aware of it for a long time. I'm cautious with pet food and, of course, with their droppings. But I foolishly still kiss my dogs!

• hopeful_in_Brevard
    16 years ago

Solstice: Thanks for the clarification. My dog licks my arms face and legs. He is bonded to me and doesn't pay to much attention to DH, but he has licked his hand once in a while. I will be more watchful about this habit and tell DH about the saliva. I know what you mean about the kissing. I love Franky so much, I treat him like my fifth child. I might start makeing my own dog food. I usually wash my hands after feeding, but will be more dilligent about it from now on. Thanks.

• trinigemini
    16 years ago

Does anyone know where a list is of the food that has been recalled? My baby eats dry food too...pedigree...and of course whatever scraps she can get....but this whole thing with the contaminated food has me worried...She will run out soon and that list just keeps getting longer.

• hopeful_in_Brevard
    16 years ago

Just enter Pet food recall list and it will come up. I feed my dog Pedigree wet food and the new dry "Goodlife Recipe" It hasn't showed up on the list. But it's smart to keep checking.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner