Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natives_and_veggies

more time for gardening

At least that's how I'm trying to look at it. I was laid off from the Herald. Also on the list was Georgia Tasker, the Herald's wonderful, long-time garden writer. Anyone hear of any interesting jobs, please let me know. I'm still not quite sure what I'll be doing beyond some immediate freelance writing. Maybe it's time to become a horticulturist or a lawyer or a spy (just kidding, I'm actually too old for the CIA.)

My only definite plan at the moment is to make sure I'm at Ricky's, now that my gardening budget is going to have to be trimmed back for awhile.

Susannah

Comments (13)

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry, Susannah. My husband hasn't worked (or been paid) since September so I understand a little of how you feel. It's a scary time, but I think there are signs it's already starting to turn around.
    Sending good thoughts your way...

Kate

• butterflygardener
    15 years ago

Hope something comes through for you. But in the meantime, this is a great time to be in the garden. Good luck!
    Kat

• coffeemom
    15 years ago

Now"s the perfect time to write down those old Florida Cracker stories we all love.
    I'm so sorry . Email me and let me know if you're up for another tree adventure.

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

Sorry to hear you lost your job and I hope something comes up for you soon. I was cut back in time and daily pay, and supposedly this is only temporary. I hope so.

I do look at my time away from work as time to play in the gardens and work on other projects around our cottage/compound. We are trying to get things done before the heat and humidity get here.

Wishing you well ~ FlowerLady

• trinigemini
    15 years ago

Sussannah so sorry to hear about your job. Maybe now we can schedule our puppy play date? Trying to look on the up side. Maybe you can start writing your memoirs now or your own Blog? SCrew it...enjoy the time off....work sucks anyway :-) Play with pup and garden away.

• natives_and_veggies
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to all of y'all. I am going to try to do some writing and see what I come up with. And I may try to take the master gardener class. Not to mention, get all the around the house and around the yard projects done. When the unemployment runs out, at least I'll have the house and yard looking good!

• imatallun
    15 years ago

Oh, Susannah. I'm so sorry to learn that you lost your job.

You have such skill at writing. I have relished every word you have written on this forum. Reading about your incalcitrant puppy and challenges with plants and infinity for pretty weeds have made me laugh out loud so many times.

We all know newspapers are worried about surviving. I have every confidence that you will survive. A door closes, a window opens. I have every confidence that you'll crawl out that window and bloom.

You have your freedom now. Betcha you do better now than you ever did before!

• natives_and_veggies
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks marilyn. It's heartbreaking, but you're right, it opens up all kinds of opportunities I never could have considered before. Like finally training the blasted pup! I figure one month of me staying home every day and he and I will have reached a much better understanding about couches and barking at the poor neighbors and eating pillows and digging holes.
    And if I manage to write a book, you all have to buy a copy!

• imagardener2
    15 years ago

Susannah
    Sorry to read of your job loss. Hope you will keep posting on GW, you have much to offer, both to us and the world.

I graduated college in SFla in '74 to 15% unemployment so I've been there done that and been through more ups and downs since then, it's seemed like a roller coaster. You'll make it through and be stronger for it, talented, intelligent people always make it.

Good luck.

Denise

• imatallun
    15 years ago

I'll wait in line to buy a copy of your book, Susannah!

(That's a high compliment from me, since I'm not one to wait in lines.)

You have it going on, in mho.

Marilyn

• natives_and_veggies
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks marilyn and denise. I guess pain makes me stronger, but I really have loved being a reporter. It's so sad to me that it's over.

Then again, if that book is a bestseller, I'll blame y'all for all the hassle of book interviews and readings and such :)

And I really do hope to do like Kat says and make my little piece of the world a prettier and better place, while I have the time. If nothing else, gardening will help me stay sane through my job search.

• countrynest
    15 years ago

Susannah, I'm sorry to disagree with you but you are not too old for the CIA.
    When I became disable and was in intensive care I kept on
    stating that I had to go to work the following day. My wife tells me. I do not remenber that stuff. I do remember
    that I was so worry about our loss of income and the posibility of losing our home and property and what will become of my family. But with Go's grace We made it and
    are making it fine. My wife is fantastic managing the money. Can you believe a husband saying this about his wife! Now I have all the time for gardening.
    Susannah,just enjoy the gift of time and propagate and swap. I pray that you will be fine wether.
    Be well!
    Felix

• natives_and_veggies
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Felix. I say again, I chose Felix. :)