Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growgrow

Using coconut oil- discovery of my life

growgrow
16 years ago

I promised to Lisa to post some information on coconut oil:

Now lets tell you a little bit about coconut oil.

Coconut oil is one of the most stable oils you can buy. It does not turn rancid easily. It does not attack your arteries. In fact, coconut oil was one of the foods Weston Price studied in his journeys. He discovered that the coconut was considered, by the local populations, a medicine food. He found that those civilizations that consumed coconut regularly had no knowledge of cancer, heart disease, arthritis, and diabetes.

Lets take a look at the healing properties of coconut oil:

* Coconut oil is antiviral, antifungal (kills yeast too) and antibacterial. It attacks and kills viruses that have a lipid (fatty) coating, such as herpes, HIV, hepatitis C, the flu, and mononucleosis. It kills the bacteria that cause pneumonia, sore throats, dental cavities, urinary tract infections, meningitis, gonorrhea, food poisoning, pneumonia, and many, many more bacterial infections. It kills the fungus/yeast infections that cause candida, ringworm, athletes foot, thrush, jock itch, diaper rash and more.

* Coconut oil is called the "low fat" fat. It actually acts like a carbohydrate in that it is quickly broken down in the liver and used as quick energy. It is NOT stored like other fats. It boosts oneÂs energy and endurance. Many athletes use it blended into their drinks. It also supports thyroid function and increases your metabolism (great if you want to lose weight).

* Coconut oil improves digestion and absorption of fat soluble vitamins, minerals (especially calcium and magnesium), and amino acids. It improves the bodyÂs use of blood glucose and improves insulin secretion and absorption (great for type II diabetes). In fact, many diabetics (type I and type II) use it to reduce their symptoms. OneÂs risk of diabetes decreases with regular use of coconuts and coconut oil. And as we already mentioned, cooking with coconut oil does not create any harmful byproducts.

* Coconut oil helps the body heal and repair faster. It aids and supports immune function, protecting us from a variety of cancers.

* Coconut oil, contrary to much hubbub, is good for your heart. It keeps our blood platelets from sticking together (and causing dangerous clots). Regular users of coconut oils have a much lower chance of atherosclerosis (clogging of the arteries), arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries), and strokes. Coconut oil can lower your blood pressure.

* Coconut oil is a natural antioxidant. It protects the body from free radical damage and prevents premature aging and degenerative diseases.

* Finally, coconut oil is the best massage oil on the planet. What it does to your skin, you simply have to witness. It forms a barrier against infections, softens and moisturizes your skin, and prevents wrinkling, sagging, and age spots. It promotes healthy hair and complexion, protects from any damaging UV rays.

Furthermore, 50% of coconut oil is lauric acid. The only other good source of lauric acid is motherÂs milk. Dr Mary Enig, one of the leading authorities on fats, tells us

Approximately 50 percent of the fatty acids in coconut fat are lauric acid. Lauric acid is a medium chain fatty acid, which has the additional beneficial function of being formed into monolaurin in the human or animal body. Monolaurin is the antiviral, antibacterial, and antiprotozoal monoglyceride used by the human or animal to destroy lipid coated viruses such as HIV, herpes, cytomegalovirus, influenza, various pathogenic bacteria including listeria monocytogenes and heliobacter pylori, and protozoa such as giardia lamblia. Some studies have also shown some antimicrobial effects of the free lauric acid.

Please, research it for your self. I am not promoting any product,I just wanted to share some of the goodness of this long and hard kept secrete. (coconut oil was attacked by the big corn and soy oil industry as being an "artery clogger.")

this is where I get my oil: Ihttp://www.coconutoil-online.com/PRODUCTS.html

(we have tried many different ones, this I like the best)

I cook with it and substitute it where normal oil would go, baking, anything really.

skin care products: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/skincare.htm

( I have used and still am using lotion unscented, and baby silk- (this one is really good), I use it now also on my face, and it is wonderful)

I am also using the lip moisturizer, soaps, and another great product is the skin exfoliator (I am using the unscented).

If you have any questions, please ask me. I also have many books that I can lend out,

Veronika

Comments (26)

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It tastes good too, Veronika!
    And it's silky smooth.
    I did research it a bit last night.
    Thank you so much.

• nytrinigemini
    16 years ago

Veronika if you are coming to Ricky's swap I would love for you to have a conversation about it with my hubby......he needs alot of convincing.

• solstice98
    16 years ago

I was surprised by these claims and tried looking it up but all I found were natural foods and herbs websites that stated there were many wonderful things about coconut oil, including the anticancer, antibacterial and antiviral properties. But no references to studies or evidence. I'm sure it's wonderful but the claims are so extreme it would be nice to see where they came from. Can you share any background on this?

I don't mean that as a mean challenge and I'm not saying these things aren't true; I do believe in miracles or at least I want to. I'm kind of a 'facts and science' sort of person, though, and something that kills viruses, kills yeasts, kills bacteria and kills cancer cells, but doesn't harm human cells or co-biotic bacteria is a little hard to accept. I really am interested and want to know more.

• growgrow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, Nytrimigemini, I will do that at Ricky's I can also bring some books along for your hubby to look into.
    Yes, David, it also tastes wonderful.

Solstice, I absolutely agree with you, it sounds too good to be true. And if it is true, how come we did not hear about it sooner? Right. I felt exactly the same way you do. I also question everything, and have to do a lot (I mean a lot) of research before I commit to something. There are many wonderful books that I have read:
    The coconut oil miracle by Bruce Fife, C.N., N.D.
    (fourth edition, previously published as The Healing Miracles of Coconut oil)

The coconut diet by Cherie Calbom
    Eat Fat Lose Fat by Dr. Mary Enig (international expert on the biochemistry of food and fat) and Sally FAllon (president of the Weston Price foundation)

Also book by Weston A. Price, D.D.S. Nutrition and Physical Degeneration

The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain, PH. D.

Virgin coconut oil by Brian and Marianita Jader Shilhavy

(These books I own, so I would gladly bring them with me to Ricky's for anybody to take a look.)

There are also many websites with similar information:
    http://www.coconutoil.com/mary_enig.htm
    here are articles written my Dr. Mary Enig (she is the "fat" lady and a true scientist) her articles will help you find the answers.

http://www.healthy-oil-planet.com/lauric-acid.html

http://www.coconutoil.com/research.htm

http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/coconut_oil.html
    http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/index.html

That should get you and anybody interested in this started.
    Please do read up on at least some of these articles, we have been so misinformed by our government about fats that it is time to get this turn over, to get people healthier.
    Veronika

• solstice98
    16 years ago

Thanks Veronika! I've got some reading to do!

• nytrinigemini
    16 years ago

Thanks Veronika, It seems you will teach me something new at every swap....the last time you showed me the best bug repellent :-)

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

I was at work one day , struggling all morning with heartburn.

The tums.... then alka seltzer...... neither worked !

a friend got out a bottle of organic coconut oil , and advised me to take a tablespoon of it.

The heartburn went away.

I really don`t have a problem with heartburn, that day was unusual.

it worked like a charm :)

D`Ann

• growgrow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, Great D'Ann.
    I am starting to feel like the dad from "My big fat Greek wedding"....he used for everything windex. I am starting to use for everything coconut oil. It is great as a hair conditioner too. :-)
    Veronika

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

I appreciate ANY organic info I can get so thank you. I will be getting some soon!
    I love finding things put on this earth to keep us healthy.

• FlowerLady6
    16 years ago

Thank you Veronica for the info about coconut oil. DH and I are into alternative healing and healthy methods for taking care of our health. We are NOT told these healthy alternatives for a reason, so that we will keep spending $ on prescription drugs, which in turn cause more health issues with side effects, which then need other drugs to take care of them, and on an on.

Where did you get your coconut oil?

FlowerLady

• growgrow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am glad to help finding others alternative ways.
    I have stumbled on the coconut oil by accident, and after 2 years of using it I consider it a discovery of my life.
    Anyway, I started to by it at Whole foods market, but they have the refined one, which is stripped of many beneficial parts. Next, they started to carry the unrefined, but compared to the "virgin" coconut oil, it is no way near the quality.
    Now, for the last year, I am using the Coconut oil supreme (http://www.coconutoil-online.com/PRODUCTS.html ), which is the best that I was able to find to this day.
    The skin cafe products I order from Tropical Traditions (also on line), they also carry the coconut oil, but have not tried theirs.
    Hope, you will find using coconut oil as beneficial as my family did.
    Veronika

• growgrow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Correction:
    Skin care products (not a skin cafe)
    :-)
    Veronika

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

I can add a little to this topic.

Alot of the claims made by any product really cant be proven or even seen BUT one claim made for this oil is that it helps reduce blood sugar.

I am not diabetic BUT was taking a medication which supposedly was to reduce triglycerides in the blood. The medication was prescription time release Niacin.

One of the possible side effects of this med is elevated blood sugar.

The place that had prescribed the niacin didnt know me and didnt believe me that I was not diabetic before I started taking this niacin and they were going to refer me to some endocrinologist to see whats going on.

Well, I bought a glucose meter and jabbed myself several times a day to see what is going on and when and what may be causing the elevated blood sugar.

Nothing changed it, nothing really made it higher or lower, it just hovered at 130 fasting or pigging out on sweets.

I read about the coconut oil being able to reduce the blood sugar so gave it a try. The very first tablespoon, within 30 minutes had the levels at the very normal ranges.

The only reason I mention this is because the test I did was measurable and not an opinion or wishful thinking or placebo action etc.

I stopped the Niacin and the level came down in a couple days.

So, I can say, the coconut oil worked for me. I got mine from the vitaminshoppe.com they are located in many places and can also mail order too.

Good post Veronika! I have been reading up on it some more since you mentioned it.

Tony

• growgrow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is a great news, Tony.
    My father in law is diabetic since his late thirties, now just turned 80ty. He has to use insulin shots several times a day, and measures his blood sugar every couple hours. You would not believe how his numbers have stabilized since he started to use coconut oil in his cooking in last two years. The doctors could not believe what has changed.
    He is very satisfied with the results, lowered his intake of insulin by a lot.

Veronika

• naplesgardener
    16 years ago

Thanks Veronika

I went to the site and have been reading about their style of coconut oil.
    I have used coconut oil in the past as a skin conditioner because other types I've used don't really put the moisture back in that the Florida sun sucks out.

Now I'll have to try it as a food/baking product.

It's also great to hear from people on the forum about how it actually helped them.

Doctors of course are trained to dispense pharmaceuticals and we the public are trained to head to the pharmacy and pay for them. There have been some wonderful drugs but sometimes natural cures don't get the publicity they deserve because there is no money to be made so we don't hear about them every night on a commercial with the 6 o'clock news.

Believe it or not I have had amazing results from drinking Florida natural spring water (Walmart sells it 74 cents/gallon). A 6 year stomach problem is going away after 6 months of drinking only that. I also have been able to reduce my pills to bare minimum. Doctors don't like to hear it and predict a relapse :-)

I was especially interested in the coconut oil websites comment that athletes add it to their drinks. I'll have to try that, maybe my tennis will improve.

• bihai
    16 years ago

Coconut is one of my favorite foods. I like to eat it raw from the shell. Coconut cream pie and coconut cake, coconut pudding...when we go to COld Stone Ice Cream I get Cake Batter lite with coconut. My fave soup is Thai coconut soup.

As a vegetarian, I make a lot of ethnic curries (Thai and Indian) using tufu, tempe and seitan, and many call for grated coconut.

I don't know if all the claims are true either, but I love coconut!

• florah
    16 years ago

Polynesians on the South Pacific islands use coconut water and oil as skin products. It makes skin soo smooth. I never heard them claim that it has other health benefits and the population certainly has cases of diabetes.

I have been looking for coconut oil soap ever since I ran out of the one I bought on Moorea. I'll check out the website.

• junkyardgirl
    15 years ago

I started using coconut oil not too long ago on my hair, and putting it into my coffee in the morning. yes, it floats on the top of the coffee, but surprisingly, it doesn't leave a greasy taste in your mouth when you drink it. My hair has never been so soft! I don't even use conditioner anymore. I just put a dab on my hands (not much, you may have to experiment) and rub it on and let it sit for a few minutes to soak in, then comb it through really well. Even blow drying my hair doesn't make it frizzy with the coconut oil on. Once a week, I put it on and let my hair dry naturally, so it can soak it all up.

It makes your skin so smooth! I tried using it on my face, but I have adult acne, and it broke it out. But I did add a couple of drops to my moisturizer at night, and it didn't break me out that way. Anyway, my skin is much smoother, on my face and everywhere else I use it.

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Well it kept Mary Ann and Ginger looking good!LOL

• trini1trini
    15 years ago

This is very easy to make if anyone want the recipe, email me.
    T

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

I have tried various methods of using it. First off I figured chocolate since coconut and chocolate are good together.Well don't try it in a choc milk shake or it solidifies and you get great big gobs of greasy grimy ,,,
    you get the pic.
    I discovered using it n hot cocoa is great,you never notice it. Even three and a half TBS.
    I also made my to die for blueberry muffins and exchanged the reg oil for half coconut oil and half blueberry yogurt,YUM!!!

• tony_k_orlando
    15 years ago

Try it in a waffle recipe instead of vegetable oil. Amazing how the oily smell of waffles if just about completely gone.

I noticed the walm*rt grocery store has coconut oil right by the other oils. It is not 100% virgin as some highly recommend however it was about 4$ for 32.5 oz. Claims pure and natural. Looks and taste the same to me.

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Im getting my 3 tablespoons in hot cocoa.YUM

• seagoddesss
    14 years ago

I decided to try coconut oil after reading about it's use for weight loss...I'm skeptical but it's worth trying...everything I read about low fat diets is starting to make sense...

Anyway...I've had constant pain in my lower back, hips and legs for a long time...mainly from being on my feet for hours at a time...

After a couple of days of starting on coconut oil I noticed...the pain is GONE! It's been three weeks now and still no pain...

As for weight loss...my weight seems to be creeping down a tiny bit...I've started trying to cut down on sugars for the past few days...we shall see!

• dirtygardener73
    12 years ago

I have lupus, and with it comes extreme fatigue. I started taking coconut oil daily, first a teaspoon three times a day, worked up to a tablespoon three times a day. It gives me more energy than any coffee or supplement I have ever taken. Plus, lupus attacks your skin and leaves it very dry and ugly. I use the coconut oil on my skin and now it is supple and smooth. I love coconut oil! I buy it in gallon tubs and use it to cook just about everything. I don't worry much about fried food anymore because this oil is actually good for you.

• julieyankfan
    12 years ago

Wow, very good info here. My S-I-L has lupus. I'll pass this along to her. I'll have to try it on my hair, since this hard water makes it so dry. The only shampoo I can use is Dove moisturizing.

Goldenpond, you cracked me up with that one about Mary Ann and Ginger!lol

I make a lot of drinks with cream of coconut. Hope I'm getting some benefits!

Julie