Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scents_from_heaven

Problems and Flowers and Love

scents_from_heaven
17 years ago

Just when you think you have problems, something always comes along to remind you they YOU are lucky. Yesterday as I was working amongst the beauty of the flowers and the wonderful characters in Town Square at the Magic Kingdom I encountered a 4 year old girl who is dying. She had a breathing tube, feeding tube and looked like she weighed over a hundred pounds from swelling. She had the sweetest little voice that you could barely hear. Her Mom asked if the character I was shooting could come over to the shade to see her as she could not be in the sun. We arranged that and then the mother told me they were with Make A Wish and the child's one dying wish was to meet Mickey. I knew the characters were on their one hour break as was I but I could not let her leave without doing something. I managed to arrange a meeting with Mickey and Minnie and Pluto who all gave up their breaks to spend time with this precious child. We spent 20 minutes together along with a character greeter who was on his break and we made this child feel special and loved. She whispered to all the character that she loved them and needless to say we all had to turn away and shed a tear. I will be receiving a picture her Dad took of her with me as a reminder that life is precious and to be treasured. Of course I stayed and took tons of pictures for them and then did everything I could to make arrangements for other things for the family.

We may think we have problems but there is always someone else worse off. Afterwards I stood there amongst the handging pots of pink impatiends, geraniums and spider plants, in the middle of the hidden garden with the fountain and the beds of salvia, impatiens, Italian Cypress and Begonias in shades of pink and white and thanked God for allowing me to bring joy into this child's day.

I found peace in that garden setting and it will always hold a special emotion for me. The flowers are so beautiful all over Disney and I feel truly lucky to work amongst all the scents and scenery. Beth and I along with her DH and hopefully mine are going to Disney over Mother's Day weekend and I will take lots of pictures of the flowers so that each of you can see the beauty I work with daily and hopefully give you some inspiration on new color combinations, etc.

Now, let's all get together and do these steps, Take one foot up and stamp down and then the other while hopping in a circle and chanting "RAIN, RAIN, RAIN, RAIN" and then give each other a big hug. Happy Sunday, Linda

Comments (12)

• pllove
    17 years ago

Linda, yes there is always someone having it worse than you,if you can believe that! My step niece was a make- a wish -child, 2 years ago.And they have since been blessed with another daughter. There are days when it's really rough though.Not to rain on your parade......Peggy

• chrisaggie
    17 years ago

Aww, hugs! It is always hard meeting someone who is in a position worse than you...makes you think hard about what you've got. And yes, Disney has some nice flowers!

• manature
    17 years ago

Linda, thank you for sharing that wonderful story with us. I'm so glad that the little girl got to meet Mickey and have a wonderful day. And I'm glad YOU got to meet her, and come away from the experience the richer for it. Life is so precious and there is so much beauty around us that we often take for granted. I will remember this little girl for a long time, and I'm still sending you and your hubby loads of healing energy and positive thoughts and prayers for a lot longer time together than you might imagine. But however long it is, and this applies to ALL of us, fill it up with joy and love, every single minute of every single day!

Big Hugs,
    Marcia

• beth7happy
    17 years ago

Linda....I just cannot WAIT to spend time with you! You ARE a precious Scent of Heaven and I'm hoping that you're so contagious I'll bring that beautiful Spirit home with me! I'm with you, Marcia... Fill it Up with Joy and Love! ...every single minute of every single day!

• mistiaggie
    17 years ago

I just realized I posted as my husband! Oops!

• flingo
    17 years ago

You were (to that little girl and her family) and ARE (to us) sent from heaven. You were an angel to that child. How wonderful to have a hand in bringing such joy even for a moment.
    What a lovely picture you painted of the flowers and the setting.
    God grant you and your husband an angel or two to help you through this rough time.
    many hugs,
    Pam

• butterflygardener
    17 years ago

Wow! It is that~ that makes you an "angel on earth" you are one special lady!
    Kat

• msmarion
    17 years ago

Linda you are truly one in a million. We are so blessed to have you as a friend and you are so lucky to work at the friendliest place on earth.
    Hugs
    Marion

• scents_from_heaven
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for your kind words, but I am not special. I am just me. I do what my heart tells me to and sometimes that gets me in trouble. I see people in need and I have to help. That is one of the reasons I will never have money because I would give it to those in need. God created me with a heart to care for others and I do things to honor Him and not me.

Tonight has been a bad night because I came home early from work due to my inability to reach my husband via telephone from 3 PM onward. He got home just before me at 8 PM and he had gone to KFC to get a pot pie and became very nauseous there. He stayed there for three hours before he could return home in his electric wheelchair. I gave him nausea medication and we went to bed. He woke me up about 90 minutes ago with pain in his back near the aneurysm. I gave him Tylenol and he woke me up about 20 minutes ago crying in pain. I had to give him the codeine and he is calming down, but I am stressed out. I wish it was light enough to work on my container garden. I am so worried and frightened and afraid of losing him. Tonight is one of those nights when I am on the point of losing it. We do have appointments in the morning with his cardiologidt and internist to check him over and to ensure my blood pressure is doing okay. I am sorry for crying here but I needed someone to share my fears with.

I have been working at EPCOT the past several days and it is so beautiful. They have impatien towers all over the park along with the most wonderful floral display of Donald and Daisy at the front entrance coming down the tunnel of love. In the back of the Fountain of Nations there is an arrangement of impatiens, daisies and topiaries of snow white, grumpy, thumper and bambi. It is so beautiful. Looking over towards Test Track is the butterfly house with a large topiary of a butterfly and plants all around the lagoon. The artwork for sale along with other items makes me drool and I have been sneeking a few cuttings here and there. I can not wait to share all of this with Beth next weekend. It will be nice to have someone to share the beauty with. My favorite thus far is the revolving topiary of Cinderella and Prince Charming. I can not believe that I am so lucky to work amongst all of the beauty and today we learned that Disney Photo Imaging (my area) is transitioning into MGM and Animal Kingdom from Kodak by June 4. We will be busy but we will have the opportunity to work everywhere and it is going to be fun but stressful as it means a lot more work until we can hire a lot of new photographers. If any of you live near Disney and want to work part time, seasonal or two days a week taking pics then you need to apply and come join the fun.

I feel better noe for having shared this and find writing and chatting with all the people who are so compassionate and caring here good therapy. Hope you have a wonderful night and happy gardening tomorrow. Please forgive me once...

• butterflygardener
    17 years ago

Be strong Linda, you have lots of friends here and you can cry on my shoulder anytime. I think of you everyday and lift you and others up in prayer, as I am sure many others do.
    Kat

• beth7happy
    17 years ago

oh gosh, Linda... Just found this post. Hang in there - HIS strength WILL carry you through all of this! We're thinking of you, praying with and for you and Lee. HUGS.

• pllove
    17 years ago

Linda,You do know I love you! You haven given me some info...that no one else in this world would or could! As you can tell I am in bad shape...I wish I could think of some way to help you!If you or any of your otheer gardening friends are ever in my area.Please stop by for a few minutes and I'll send plants everyones way....I am in dire need of good people and companionship every now and then....I have trouble speaking properly at times and don't know what to say at times....I am always willing to share and help when I can......You do know I care about you and your husband....unless someone has beeen thru these things in life...or have an exceedingly large compassionate heart...they may be unable to relate...you must have a heart to understand anything!