Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalfreak

Wisdom Teeth....

tropicalfreak
15 years ago

So, I had mine cut out about a month ago now. I wasn't infected or in pain. I am planning to have braces put on. All my incisions have healed except for one. The lower left tooth was growing sideways toward my molar. For some reason this area is giving me problems. I have an infection and live on Advil. It is painful to eat. I never knew this was so much fun.

Anyone else got some stories about having their Wisdom Teeth extracted?

Cliff

Comments (14)

• wanda662
    15 years ago

Ouch, have you been back to the Dr.?
    When I was a teenager I had both top wisdoms removed but I still have my bottom ones at 65, every once in a while they get sore but that's it.

• tropicalfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yeah, i went last tues and go the antibiotic. i go back tues for check up. I had them taken out for braces... didnt think it was gonna be this much fun.

• butterflygardener
    15 years ago

Cliffie! You poor child! Are you doing the salt water rinses? It does help as it is a natural antibacteral.
    Feel better!
    Hugs,
    "Mama" Kat

• trinigemini
    15 years ago

Cliff I too was going to suggest using sea salt to rinse with. When I had my belly button pierced I used it and never got infected once....I heard its one of the hardest piercings to heal too and that people have had them infected for over a year...mine healed within a couple months totally with no infections. Highly suggest using sea salt rinses.

On another note...my dentist keeps telling me I have to have my wisdom teeth pulled...I also need braces....scared to do either. My wisdom is also growing sideways and he said if it keeps going it could damage a nerve....but I feel no pain so I'm not doing it yet. ;-)

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

Had mine out years ago with no problems......youngest just had his out.The bottom ones had to be cut out as they were impacted, and dangerously close to nerves. He had no problems, but his were stitched up. The dentist also sent him home with antibiotics and a rinse to use twice a day to prevent infections.
    Salt water rinses and warm compresses are my suggestions.Hope you feel better soon.

• tropicalfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The salt water rinse seems to be keeping the infection as bay. For some reason the hole is taking it's time to heal. All the other areas are healed. I do have some swelling still. Strange...

Cliff

• KaraLynn
    15 years ago

I had to get all four taken out several years ago because I was getting ulcers all around them constantly. I'm glad they took out all four at once since there is no way I'd ever have it done again! The bottom two were much more compacted then the dentist realized and he ended up having to take them out in pieces while I'm sitting in the chair wide awake as he's drilling and pulling on the teeth. And then I got dry socket where both the lower teeth were! I was miserable.

My sister just had her bottom ones removed on friday and is in a bit of pain. Her teeth were badly impacted.

I hop you're feeling better soon.

• tropicalfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wish the pain would go away.. I am on ibuprofen..my body is probably addicted to it now.

• katkin_gw
    15 years ago

I was told all my life I only had 3. Having increasing pain in my jaw an exray showed the 4th growing upward instead of down. I had to have a piece of my jaw bone removed to get the tooth out.

Maybe yours should be exrayed again to see if a piece of root was left or broken off. Sorry you are in so much pain.

• natives_and_veggies
    15 years ago

Ok, I'll tell my story, which is not pretty, but may, in some small way make you feel better Cliff, if only because it isn't your story.

I had mine out in my early 20s, all four at once. All four impacted. The dentist had to cut each one into pieces to get it out.

When they were done (it took a team), I was given codeine. I am very seriously sensitive to codeine. The dentist was told this. He didn't listen.

So my mouth was so swelled up I couldn't really open it, and I was puking.

Yep, out my nose. For days. Codeine is a sensitivity that gets worse each time you take it. That was my last time. It can screw with your stomach so that no amount of bread and milk will fix it. You just have to go empty, and starve for awhile, to get it out of your system.

The dentist had one ray of sunshine for all of that agony. He said if I had been puking through my mouth, I might have infected the holes. Thanks doc. Next time, read the chart, that clearly says I will puke on codeine.

Hope you're feeling better, or at least better than the kid who was puking through her nose did. :)

• julieyankfan
    15 years ago

I'd love to get braces, but I'm leary about the expense. Are you going with the new clear ones?

Julie

• imatallun
    15 years ago

Oh, Cliff, hate to learn you are suffering.

Hope you'll try diluted organic apple cider vinegar as a mouthwash. Cider vinegar strangely eases the pain and is a natural healer. If you want something that tastes a bit better you can steep squished up strawberries or orange segments (or other favorite fruit for that matter) in cider overnight, then strain through a sieve or cheesecloth.

Hope you're feeling better...

• tropicalfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

a couple weeks back when I posted last they did and xray and there was nothing there he said. the socket looked clean and empty. then a 3 days later i headed back with an infection. he gave the anitbiotics and i went back yesterday and he said the infection cleared up....BUT...lol..now I have a dry socket. ..lol You talk about irritating... lol

The vinegar thing sounds interesting...

TO JULIE: No, not clear ones. I'm doing this new system called Damon. Well, I havent started it yet....lol a job and a healed mouth are those determining factors right now...lol

• tropicalfreak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

TO JULIE: yes, i am doing the clear ones on top..lol. i was ignorant to what u were asking.

I had to go back to the Oral Surgeon once again. I thought I was getting another infection. But... he cut the dead stuff away flushed the area out again and things have healed...finally. I will be getting the metal on my grill installed this week..lol