Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

EarthWeek - Food vs Fuel

solstice98
16 years ago

This article appeared today on the EarthWeek website. If you haven't visited there you should check it out. They report weekly, updated on Fridays, on environmental and health events from the previous week. Earthquakes, volcanos, hurricanes, plants, animals, epidemics etc. Interesting stuff, presented in a factual way. No preaching.

Food riots in several poor nations during the past month have U.N. and other officials arguing that the growing diversion of grain harvest from food to ethanol fuel is causing a global food crisis.

"The reality is that people are dying already," said Jacques Diouf, of the Food and Agriculture Organization.

Last week, the U.N. predicted "massacres" unless the biofuel policy is halted.

"The world food situation is very serious. We have seen riots in Egypt, Cameroon, Haiti and Burkina Faso," said Diouf. "There is a risk that this unrest will spread in countries where 50 percent to 60 percent of income goes to food."

Global food prices have jumped 83 percent over the past three years as the worlds main agricultural producers shifted their focus to biofuels.

Indian Finance Minister P. Chidambaram has called on industrial nations to cut off all subsidies for such alternative energy production, and to focus on providing food to the developing world.

Dominique Strauss-Kahn, head of the International Monetary Fund, says a growing number of government ministers have labeled the impact of biofuels as a "crisis of humanity."

U.N. statistics say that the amount of corn it takes to produce 11 gallons of ethanol can feed a child for an entire year.

We have the fuel crisis on one hand with gasoline predicted to go up to $4 by summer. We depend on the Middle East (mostly people who do not love or admire us) for huge amounts of the oil we need. How do we ignore that?

And we have people starving in places all over the world because fields once used to feed them are now being used to grow fuel. How do we ignore starving multitudes?

Is the US still the "Breadbasket of the World" as they used to call us when I was a child? Should we be? Can we be?

It seems that it's easy to say countries should feed their own people but that's never been the case. We export food but we also import it. So do all the major developed countries. Less affluent countries do more importing than exporting, but I bet the numbers (in pounds) is relatively small. I guess I really don't know how the numbers compare.

Many of my relatives are farmers in North Dakota. They aren't terribly affluent but they get by and always have enough to eat. Some years they struggle, of course, when the crops are bad or the weather takes out a couple fields or a large piece of equipment needs to be replaced (WAY more expensive than a car!). They try to guess the market each year and grow whatever will be right for the soil that year (they rotate) but also whatever will bring them the best return on their investment. How do we tell hard-working farmers NOT to crow biofuel corn this year because people are starving in a country they will never visit? Especially when they are pouring $3+ gasoline into their tractors?

We used to worry about a nuclear crisis.

Then we worried about a fuel crisis.

But the real world-changing tragedy is a food crisis.

For many, it's here already.

Kate

Comments (4)

• countrynest
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for the link,Kate.
    I was just talking about this very same topic with my wife.
    It is awful.
    Felix

• mistiaggie
    16 years ago

Ethanol is not the way to go. Not only does it deplete our food resources, it is not good on the environment either. Time just did a big article on it and it talked about the Amazon as well. NPR was talking about Haiti today. They are starving over there, but they've completely depelted their resources.

• naplesgardener
    16 years ago

My DH just told me he saw a History Channel program that said that raising enough corn to make a gallon of ethanol consumed almost a gallon of oil resources. This means the only way ethanol is affordable is because of heavy subsidies.

Also (same channel) many early engines (Henry Ford's and others) were designed to run on alternative fuels but switched to oil because it was cheaper than any other type of fuel at that time. Interesting...

AND if you think your car is getting less fuel efficiency it could be because the gas you are buying is part ethanol which gets less MPG than gas. Not every gas station does this. My neighbor told us that Shell doesn't add ethanol to their gas. He also told us that if we got the Shell credit card they deduct 5 cents a gallon on gas purchases. It's the closest station to us so we're getting the card.

So much to keep up with.
    I agree it is terrible that the poorest people are having a food crisis that many will point to the US as creating.

• junkyardgirl
    16 years ago

I don't believe in ethanol for all cars, but I do believe in farmers being able to make their own biodiesel for their farm equipment, and being provided the money to do it by the government.

I'm all for gas rationing until we can figure out a solution. These idiots with the gas guzzlers, the ones who almost blow you off the road on the highway, have to be FORCED to conserve. They don't care about any world food crisis. They just care about appearances, and having what they want.

I think we're heading for a short time of gas rationing, and maybe electrical rationing as well, as we try to wean off of middle eastern oil. I'll survive. I'm very conservative anyway, and I'd like to go totally green, get off the grid, but I can't afford the solar/wind equipment at today's prices. I do what I can, though.

I'm all for government subsidies for anyone who wants to go totally wind/solar and get off the grid, but that will never happen, because the oil/gas/coal/utility companies have too much power.

People have to learn to be less selfish for anything viable to work, and that's not going to happen without government intervention.