Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nova_gw

Cruisin' the Ocklawaha

nova_gw
16 years ago

After spending the last few weekends working to get the garden in shape for the swap and then the great time we had with everyone last weekend, Dave and I decided we needed a weekend off from gardening duties. What better way to relax and unwind than a slow, peaceful cruise up the Ocklawaha River. We particularly like the Ocklawaha because of the "underwater obstacles", aka fallen trees and logs, that keeps "Joe Highschool" in his Daddy's boat from hauling butt through it endangering everyone and everything. Jet skies also avoid it for the same reason. The river twists and turns it's way through swamps and floodplains and is home to an amazing collection of birds and wildlife. And north of Sliver Springs, the water is surprisingly clear and fish can be observed from the surface. Let me share with you some pictures of our peaceful cruise -

First, a picture of our Captain, "Ocklawaha Dave" at the helm -

Entering the river on a glorious day -

A hawk, checking out the humans entering his domain -

"Sand Cliffs" carved by the river -

What trip in a waterway in Florida would be complete without an alligator -

This is a fallen Cypress tree that was cut to clear the waterway and as you can see it is now leafing out -

And of course, cypress knees -

Birds weren't the only ones hanging out in the trees -

A clump of "Lizard's Tail" -

I tried to get a picture of the fish jumping out of the water but as you can see all I got was where he went back in -

Hope you enjoyed the pictures of our cruise!

nova

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting