Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldenpond_gw

Another Bobcat attack and then there was 1

goldenpond
15 years ago

A few days ago we were enjoying the peace and tranquility of the pond when a bobcat leapt out of the woods. Jinxie (our female Cuyuga duck)sounded her alarm, I shrieked and Jim went running. The bobcat grabbed Felix our male Pekin duck and off he went with Jim in hot pursuit. Barefoot, Jim chased him jumping the fence and crawling beneath the Australian pines. Finally he said he heard a faint quacking and found Felix bleeding and in shock. The bobcat had dropped him and ran or perhaps climbed a tree.

Jim carried his limp bloody body back and we hosed off the blood to assess the damage. A giant puncture wound to his face and probably internal damage. Over the next few days we cared for our brave patient talked to him and petted him

giving him plenty of water water and a nice soft bed of straw.

Daily he got weaker.

Today Felix is no longer suffering.Our hearts are sad but we know that he is no longer in pain. Did we do the right thing by rescuing him only to have him suffer. We certainly did not want the Bobcat to dine on Pekin Duck at any rate .

He fought a good fight and now it is just Jinxie. Jim and I will miss him and his crazy but lovable antics in the garden.

Even the dogs are depressed.

Jinxie's loud lonesome cries this morning as she searched for her mate drew tears to our eyes. Hopefully being black she won't be as obvious to predators as Felix with his Snow white feathers. I imagine since it is mating season that Jinxie will probably soon have some wild drakes visit her.

RIP Felix

Felix and Jinxie in the garden in happier times

{{gwi:78691}}

Just a note on Bobcats. They are adapting nicely to being around people. Both attacks(yes ,one got our Dixie duck about a year ago)Neighbors were out and about and I do live in a residential area. Even with me shreiking they never lost the concentration of their prey. I got online and saw photos of them near swingsets and sliding boards.They are becoming as abundant as raccoons. You may not see them as they have GREAT camoflage.But they are there. Did you know they can jump 12 FT! Not even a privacy fence will help. Just thought Id warn you not trying to scare you but they say they are more abundant now then in Colonial times.

tanya

Comments (3)