Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

QUILTERS! Round Robin?

solstice98
15 years ago

Not many of us are as accomplised quilters as MaryBeth, but I think there are several gardeners in our group who also quilt. Kat and I were talking about it recently and I thought it might be fun to start a Round Robin if we can get 4 or more people interested.

I've attached a link to an instruction page, but basically here's what a Round Robin is for those who don't know:

1. Each quilter makes a center square for their quilt.

2. We each send them to another person in the group who attaches a border.

3. Then it's on to the next person on the list who attaches a second border.

4. Then on to the last person in your group of 4 who puts on a third border.

5. The quilt returns to the person who started it. (Either by mail or at a lunch.)

6. Once you get your quilt back you can finish it the way it is for a wall hanging size or attach more borders or blocks to increase the size to whatever you want.

We can set some guidelines, but each border is up to the person who does it. It can be simple or ornate, hand sewn or machine sewn, depending on skill level and available time! It's nice to stick with colors or themes requested by the starter, but some of the joy comes from just seeing what happens. We would have to set a schedule but I wouldn't want it so tight it felt too much like pressure - I suspect we all have enough of that already!

I would suggest we set the center to be either 12 inch or 16 inch square and each border to then be 6 inches or 8 inches.

Anyone interested? Kat? How about your friend Wanda?

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Round Robin Quilt pictures

Comments (22)

• butterflygardener
    15 years ago

Kate~ I am in! I bet my niece would like to too!
    Kat

• solstice98
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK! We're on our way to having the 1st group. If we get more than that it still works; we just won't all get to add to each quilt. Of course, if we get 8 quilters then we'll do two separate groups.

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Who will teach me to quilt??? Do you think I can learn?? I love quilts. There is a lady at the chemo clinic that brings her own small quilt for each treatment. It is a small lap blanket. The materials in it are all different kinds of flowers and unusual prints that is not your every day kind of swatches. This would be something I would love to learn. Where do I get started, and am I eligable to join a Round Robin, or do I need to practice, practice, practice first???

• solstice98
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cindee - you are more than welcome to join. No experience necessary. Let me talk to Kat and we'll come up with a good way for you to learn the basics and get started.

You might want to go to the Keepsakequilting dot com website and ask for their catalog. It's a great way to get ideas and help you decide what type of pattern you might like.

Kate

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Thanks so much! I think this will be a nice creative outlet and also keep my busy with Dennis's situation going on. i can carry it over to my next hip replacement too. Thanks for letting me in and for the links Kate and Kat.

Where's Saint Mary Beth! We have to get her involved!

• tony_k_orlando
    15 years ago

Hey now! I am a quilters widower as it is ! I mentioned the topic and she likes it however we just got back from KY and are leaving again on the 10th or 11th, this time further yet, Overland Park, KS ! You guessed it, MORE quilt stuff.

She is simply in too deep at the moment to start something and have a timeframe in which to finish it in.

I am sure in the future she will most likely get involved.

This is her shopping cart

She had TWO workers writing up her bill

here is a pic of the trunk AFTER her FIRST shopping trip in Paducah. We almost had to leave suitcases behind to fit things in the car!!

Here is some guy that has learned to cope with his wife's quilting illness

Sorry to bomb you all with the pics. Easier than writing about it.

• solstice98
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh she's going to be busy!

• msmarion
    15 years ago

I worked part time for years in a discount fabric shop and accumuliated 100's of yards of quilting fabrics (and lots of others), thinking that I'd learn to quilt when I retired. I came to the realization before we moved to FL that retirement was never going to be an option for me. I held a fabric only yard sale before we moved. Sold every last yard for $1. LOL

Cindee look for a log cabin quilt (I can't remember the author) book at your local quilt shop. It was always the one the beginners started with, but maybe MB could suggest another for you to start with. You could check over on the quilting forum I bet they could help.

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Holey Sox, Tony! Saint MaryBeth is a busy bee!! HEY you have your gardens, she has her hobby to keep her mind off YOU! LOL Love the guy's T-Shirt. I think I'll make one for me like that! Great saying!

Look at all that fabric! WOW!

• jupiterplants
    15 years ago

I LOVE that tee shirt !

I also LOVE crazy quilts..cuz I a bit crazy !

D`Ann

• beth7happy
    15 years ago

ohhh WOW, Tony!! That girl can pick out the STUFF!!!!!! WooOHoooo....... tell her HIGH 5 for me!!!!!!!

• tony_k_orlando
    15 years ago

Brief update......

MB won 1st place with the quilt ya'll perhaps voted on a month or so ago and took 2nd place with another with another quilt.

I think she has become addicted and needs to be admitted somewhere asap.

Have a great holiday weekend.

Tony

• solstice98
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Can we see a photo of her other quilt? I would love to see what she's entered into competitions and also what she's currently working on.
    Kate

• solstice98
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Can we see a photo of her other quilt? I would love to see what she's entered into competitions and also what she's currently working on.
    Kate

• tony_k_orlando
    15 years ago

Yup, I will post a pic. Here is the deal. They are supposed to send her professional pics of her quilts + every other quilt that was there too on CD. If it doesnt arrive soon, I will post an unprofessional pic.

I dont know how she does it, yet she has several(prob more than 5-7) quilts going at once. I will make an appointment with her to discuss what she is up to these days.

Stay tuned.
    Tony

• tony_k_orlando
    15 years ago

The pics finally came!

Check em out by clicking link below.

This is MBs quilt that took 'best in show' in Paducah, KY and 1st place in Overland Park, KS. I will post another one after this.

Hope you arent bored !

Here is a link that might be useful: Slide show

• tony_k_orlando
    15 years ago

Here is here 2nd place winner in Overland Park, KS. Its a bed quilt.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click to see another quilt show

• solstice98
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow.

Tony, I can't remember: does she do the quilting by hand or by machine?

• lynne_melb
    15 years ago

What talent.

• tony_k_orlando
    15 years ago

Kate,

MB does machine quilting, it would take forever to put that many stitches in by hand I would think, maybe not?!

The contests have all different categories... machine quilt, hand, 'just for me', 'made for sale' etc etc etc. Its all confusing. Glad she has a handle on it. I am only the chauffeur when it comes to her hobby.

Thanks Lynne, you are referring to my 'driving', right?

• solstice98
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, it would take more than forever! But there are people who do it. I'm a big fan of machine quilting and love the intricate look of the patterns. Her detailing is just amazing.

• lynne_melb
    15 years ago

Yes, Tony, I was referring to your driving. Oh and perhaps MB's incredible quilts.