Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tony_k_orlando

Anyone wear glasses, then you know how expensive they are, right?

tony_k_orlando
16 years ago

I havent gotten my glasses yet, BUT have heard nothing but good things about this place.

I hope to have my first 'test' order in a week or so and will then report with first hand knowledge of the quality etc etc.

Until then, check the site out, wait to hear or chance em on your own.

You WILL be amazed at the low cost.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here to check it out

Comments (30)

• nytrinigemini
    16 years ago

Tony Hubby and I both wear glasses....let us know what you think of your pair. Hubby also wanted me to ask you what type of glasses you got. I don't know why but he always wants more Info :-) Thanks

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Trini...... I got a pair of progressives like I wear and have paid a fortune for. My distance vision is near perfect its the near vision thats starting to go BUT instead of putting glasses on or taking em off and not having em with me or forgetting where the heck they are, I just put em on one day and left em there ever since.

Store bought progressives are costly. They can cost anywhere from 150$ on up(usually UP) then they add on all the extras etc etc.

From this place, it set me back 50$ +/- a couple of $$s and should be every bit as good as store bought from what friends have told us.

The only thing you need is a perscription to know what to enter in their form, then choose the frame style, color and size and if you want anti glare coatings and you are about done.

Seeing as you both already wear glasses its not that hard to choose new frames on line imo. You take and measure your frames and look for something similar. I found it EASY to do but this is because I am boring and chose similar frames. If someone is NEW to glasses then it would be more nerve wracking imo. BUT they could go and measure their fav sunglasses and look for something comparable.

I hope to get em before our road trip, I didnt get sunglasses (yet) because I wanted to make sure the least costly configuration is worth the money spent.

I will post the findings and my fingers are crossed that they will be GOOD.

later
    tony

• wanna_run_faster
    16 years ago

Hi Tony,

I couldn't get the hang of progressives. I gave up and take 'em off for reading lol. Guess I didn't need 'em all that much to begin with but you are right about them being very expensive.

I haven't used that place, but I've heard of them. I have tried $39 glasses numerous times. I call them my sleeping glasses, my beach glasses (so I don't have to worry about them getting scratched up by the wind whipping sand around), and my spare pair in my car, my son's house, etc. lol

Here is a link that might be useful: $39 glasses

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey WRF! Thats a great site also, and you have experience with em too! Thanks for sharing, I bookmarked the site.

Thats what I was thinking too, sometimes its good to have an extra set of glasses but NOT at local store costs.

Progressives work really well. The KEY is the placement of the progressive prescription they call the 'corridor' Also the width of this corridor.

If they are measured precisely and then MADE precisely and the frames bent to match your face just right, it seems any corridor width is fine. BUT if the measurement if slightly off for whatever reason, the narrow corridor makes it more difficult to use the glasses comfortably.

I wish it wasnt so late now, I really want to check out that site, but will surely do so asap.

Thanks
    Tony

• solstice98
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting this information. I'm like Tony in that my distance vision is good - but close up it's BAD. And I work in front of a computer all day so I could never deal with traditional bifocals. I love my progressives and wear them from the time I wake up until I turn off the bedside light at night.
    I spent a disgusting amount of money on my current glasses and couldn't afford to get sunglasses too. If these sites work for you all then I would be very excited to give them a try for sunglasses!!!
    Kate

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

This is so upsetting to me.

After years of 20/20 and GREAT distance,

My eyes are in the dumpster. I have been wearing

cheaters from the dime / drug stores for years now.

But I have notice the squint lines in my forehead.. because

everything is bad , reading , distance, everything in between.

And it makes me tired. I think it is time for the eye doctor this summer :(

D`Ann

• nytrinigemini
    16 years ago

We have also used $39 glasses....we bought our sunglasses from there....they came within a week and we have had no problems with them. I have really bad eyesight...I can't see without my glasses so I was really happy to find a pair for cheap...I think we will be checking out Tony's site though if he gives it thumbs up.....I got pink lens and they are too light....I have to get the regular old dark lenses :-)

• solstice98
    16 years ago

One of the things I love about the Zenni website is that you can order the glasses with 10%, 50% or 80% sun shading. AND you can choose your shade color; I think they had 5 or 6 different colors. I don't think I would try the blue, pink or yellow, but I am a big fan of the amber 'Driver' sunglasses. I don't really like the gray that most sunglasses come in, so it's great to have other options. I'm thinking that amber in 50% shading would be great for driving, for reading outside and for working in the garden. Just waiting for the right budget moment to order them!

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kate, FWIW, gray is the only color that does not distort the true perceived colors. ie The amber for driving or shooting is known to intensify one thing or another, same with the other colors too, except gray.

Not saying this is a bad choice, just offering what I know.

I sure hope mine get here before we go on the trip.

I will say, like a geek OR perhaps I am turning into my father maybe, I ordered the clip on shades with my pair for just a couple bucks more. If they arrive, this should help till I decide to get the prescription sunglasses.

One other thing I learned from the school of hard knocks is that in all my previous glasses and sunglass purchaces, I seem to think that IF the same frame is bought for both sets of glasses, then there is less BS goin on when you switch the glasses. I currently have slightly larger frames than I would like ONLY so the sunglasses could be more protective overall.

I also currently have the transition types which I like, but didnt want to spend too much on my 'first' pair, just out of caution. I am guessing they have some form of guarantee too, but I didnt want to jinx my order.

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Got the glasses today! They are actually very nice and modern. Lightweight too.

The lens are smaller in this style that I ordered so there is a little getting used to simply because these are way different from the ones I had.

What I found interesting about this company is this... Last Friday I emailed the company to get an idea when the glasses might could be expected. Now get this... They said, the glasses are complete and have already been shipped from CHINA and I should get them any time now.

Its unreal this internet shopping, you have no idea where the product/service is coming from BUT you can save some very serious money.

At 50 clams for a pair of progressive lens with nice frames, coatings and edge polishing including shipping and I don't think tax was charged, HOW can THEY do it so inexpensively and WE cant? I would love to support the local eye care places but I would have been charged enough to get 6 pair of these glasses.

All I can say is, I know its sad to be sending money out of the country YET the savings of some 250$ feels much better in my pocket than it would in someone else's.

Aside from now getting used to these, they seem fine and made right as far as I can tell.

Hope you have the same experience should you decide to give them a try.

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    16 years ago

FWIW, I took the new peepers to the eye glass shop I have always used to get their opinion of them. They were shocked and speechless. They said the clarity was suberb, the frame as good as their finest and the cost out of this world.

The only thing they did for them was add silicone nose pads which are superior to the vinyl ones most frames come with standard.

These peepers work very well and may be the best peepers I have ever gotten the FIRST time. Seems every pair I had in the past one lens or the other had to be redone at least once, and as many as three times.

MY wallet now feels FAT ! NOT theirs.

They did mention someone they met had gotten TWO pair of glasses from India for 20$ delivered! They had inspected them as well and were amazed.

I need to find that place in India now.

• mboston_gw
    15 years ago

So everyone, how long did it take once the glasses were ordered?

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It seemed to take about 3 weeks from order to delivery.

MB is going to order a pair or two most likely tomorrow.

She too will be ordering progressives.

Mine are still very comfy and effortless to see with.

I should order a pair of sunglasses too I think.

• mboston_gw
    15 years ago

I just placed an order for my progressives with 80% gray shading and anti-reflective, wireless titanium frames. I had a limited choice of frames due to the short temple length but total cost was about $85.00 My last frame and prescription glasses were nearly $300.00 cause I need light weight frames.

I hope they get here by the 22nd. We leave on vacation then and I desperately need them. I do have the beginnings of caratacts and my only concern is that these are not polarized. The lady at the place I get glasses at said to make sure they were.

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Interesting on the polarization. I too would have thought that, YET, when I went to get MBs script from the place that did her eye exam, they said good thing they are NOT polarized.

I do know that the camera screen is polarized and when tilting it I can not see the screen with polarized lens on. Same for the lil gps navigator and at times the cd player/radio in car seem to require lifting the lens to see them clearly. The laptop screen is kinda funky with them on too. I dont think they were referring to the things I mentioned, they said something to the effect of the laminating of the polarizing film, then the darkening film and the coatings etc etc.

I hope you have all your measurements accurate and that they work out well for you, and of course, that you get them on time. If not, they will most likely be waiting for you when you return.

best of luck

• mboston_gw
    15 years ago

I went to my regular place to get the measurements and was surprised that they were very agreeable about giving them to me and answering my questions. The measurements were from my new glasses last Nov. The size of the lens that I ordered is exactly the same as the ones I have now. The only difference is that the nose bridge is 18mm and mine now are 20mm. The lady said that each frame would be different so perhaps it won't matter. I guess you can always bend the nose pads one way or another.

It does take a while to get used to progressives as they do have to be just right. I have never had prescription sunglasses so I am looking forward to not having to use clip ons. My framless glasses broke on me after a short while cause I was using the clip ons that have the little things on the outside edges to hold them on and they caused too much pressure on the place where the screws were. Expensive lesson learned there.

DH had Lasik surgery a couple of years ago and all is not right with it and he now has problems driving at night so he had an exam and is ordering a cheap pair to wear at night only. If he likes them, he will get a better pair.

Counting down the days.......

• mboston_gw
    15 years ago

My hubby got his glasses yesterday. A day shy of two weeks. His were just for distance only and not shaded so guess it takes less time. Mine are shaded and progresives so I am impatiently waiting.

He is not sure his are q uie right. Says that where he had to look through the lens to see clearly is just a tad lower than what it should be. But they seem to be made well and hopefully he will adjust to them.

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mboston,

question..... if the lens your hubby got are single vision, meaning not bi-focal or progressives, shouldnt the entire lens be the same prescription no matter where you look through it?

I sure thought thats how it works.

Maybe adjusting the nose pads OR like you said, maybe just getting used to them is all that is needed.

I know mine were 'different' from my old glasses, but definitely pleasantly different.

Mary Beth ordered single vision lens too about a week ago, maybe they will arrive soon too.

Best of luck

• mboston_gw
    15 years ago

Mine came today! I was really surprised when I found them in the mailbox. I will need to have hubby adjust the ear piece (bend it) as they came straight. The lens are really dark but when you are outside they aren't bad at all and I seem to be able to see long distance with them fine. Up close may take a day or two to "find the right spot" as my others have taken a day or two to adjust to. The weight is just a tad heavier than my regular ones but still very light. The real test will be when I wear them driving and out walking around during the daytime. I am so excited not to have to deal with clip ons anymore.

As far as DHs, I don't know if there should be any difference in "the spot" he can see best through. I think he is happy enough with them to order a pair of progressives but he has never worn them before so will see. He needs cheaters to read with and has only bought ones at the drug store.

I have given out the name of this place to a couple of people. Will have to see if they are pleased.

Hope Mary Beth's come soon. I was shocked that mine came today. The return address was California.

Thanks for the site.

• julieyankfan
    15 years ago

I've got the same problem you all have, I can see distance great but need them for reading. 2 yrs. ago, my DH & I both got new glasses. He got regular bifocals with Crizal coating and Transitions lenses. I got no line bifocals with Crizal. They were over $400 a piece!!! I will be checking out your website.

He loves the Transitions and I love the Crizal, but each thing you added on was another $100! Has anyone tried the new contact lenses for close up?

Julie

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    15 years ago

MB got her glasses this last Monday. Took em out of the package and put em on and says they work great. No adjustment required at all. Very weird because with the ones we bought locally and paid the big bucks for required all sorts of adjusting.

She is now getting ready to get a couple pairs of single vision for sewing and computer work for 8$ each.

I may get the sunglasses now too.

ON a side note, my first pair also said shipped from California, but this was AFTER they were shipped from China to California then to Orlando.

• mboston_gw
    15 years ago

I took mine on my trip and they were great. I got used to the one lens that seemed a little off. It may just be that the pair I had to chose between 60 and 61 for my PD and the measurement I had from my previous order was 60.5. I chose 60, maybe I should have chosen 61, anyway, they are fine and I love not having to use clip ons.

• lakeron
    15 years ago

Any updates on this?

• Melissa Houser
    15 years ago

Oh, a subject that I know quite well! When I moved into progressive lenses two years ago, the salesperson at the optical shop (wally world) told me that my lenses alone started at $250. Since my son also needed glasses at the same time, our total would have been nearly $600. Son wears lined bifocals and has since first grade.

I ordered us both a pair from Zenni Optical, plus sunglasses for me without the progressive lens since I don't do close-up reading while driving. The total for all 3 was about $140! We're still using all three pairs with no problems.

• mboston_gw
    15 years ago

The only thing I noticed is that I can't really read with my progressive sunglasses on inside. Now they are sunglasses, not transistions as my DH says so I shouldn't expect too. I have the 80% shading and it doesn't allow enough light in so my pupils don't do what they are supposed to for reading. So I do have to switch glasses back and forth but I was having to anyway with just the clip ons by removing them. It is just a pain when you run it to pick up something and back out in the sun again. It would be the case even if I had ordered them from a local place. Otherwise I love them and I am considering ordering a regular pair of progressives from them to have on hand in case mine break. Definitely worth the effort to gather all the info and to go through the maiing process.

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We still love ours, not one problem. Definitely buy from them again.

• lakeron
    15 years ago

Thanks very much for the updates, I'll pass it on.
    ron

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I'm thinking of the 50% shading instead of the 80%. Thought it would be good for gardening (I could still see the difference between a weed and a seedling!) and good for driving (and map reading!).

• deeosu
    15 years ago

I just saw this posting, we go on SS in 2 months and have no vision insurance. I just got my glasses ordered and had to go with reg bifocals instead of progressive because of the cost. My biggest question is how do you measure? They had to see the level of my pupils with the glasses on and then mark them.
    Dee

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dee,

It is my understanding that once the measurement is made, the same measurement is used as it never supposedly changes. That being said, I had the measurements from the last eyeglass fittings and compared it to the method explained on the site. The measurements were the same.

You simply have someone else measure the distance using a ruler that has the metric system scale on it.

Whatever the website says is the rule.