Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Easy Photo Posting Instructions

solstice98
17 years ago

I know we've posted these instructions before but I've seen the question come up a couple times recently so thought it was time to do it again. There are several ways to get your pictures into your messages, but I think this is the easiest for beginners and with Photobuckets newer services, it offers great stuff for pros too. When my printer was down recently I ordered some prints through them and received my pictures in 2 days. Really nice quality too.

(No, this is NOT an ad for Photobucket. I don't work for them, own stock or have any interest in the company. I use Webshots, too.)

INSTRUCTIONS:

The photo posting is much easier than you think, once you've done it. Tony_K taught me a couple years ago and I've tried to pass on the information to others.

Here's the basics:

I think it's easier to do all this if you have two browser windows open - one on photobucket and one on gardenweb.

Go to photobucket(dot)com and open an account. It's free, takes only a minute, and is no harder than signing on to GardenWeb. There are other photo posting services but I think this one is the easiest to use.

Once you have the account you'll see how easy it is to upload your photos to photobucket. You can set up sub-albums with one click of the mouse, so you can sort your photos into different subject (more on that below).

When they are there, you'll see three little 'addresses' under each picture. Highlight the middle one - the TAG line - and 'copy' it. (You can copy it by right clicking on your mouse and selecting 'copy', or by clicking on EDIT at the very top of your computer screen.)

Once it's copied, go to the GardenWeb message you are composing and paste the TAG line directly into the text of your message. Don't put it at the URL line under the text box. At this point you will only see text, but once you choose to view your message you'll see the photo. If it comes out too big, then go back to photobucket and choose the EDIT button over that photo. You'll have the option there to reduce the photo by 75, 50, or 25 percent. 75% makes it a good size for these messages, but 50% works too. Try both on different photos and see what you like.

Technically I think you can post as many photos as you want in each message but remember that not everyone has a high speed line and try to keep it to 5 or less. More than that makes it pretty slow to load for some.

Here's the sub-album tip about photobucket or any other service you use: set up sub-albums for different subjects so you don't end up with 200 photos in one album. For example, I have Garden 2005, Garden 2006, House Shots, Yard Sale (where I post photos for things I am selling through the newspaper or eBay), All the Muffins (pet pictures), etc. Besides making it hard to find something if you have it all in one album, if you ever decide to move photos later, any link you've posted on the web will be lost.

If you still have problems, send me an email with your email or phone number and I'll talk you through it. I think photos make every post more fun and I encourage everyone to do it. The digital camera I use is a 10 year old 2.1 Nikon, so you don't need a fancy or expensive camera to share images of your garden. We all want to see!

A special thanks, once again, to Tony_K for helping me get my first picture posted a few years ago!

Hope this helps,

Kate

Comments (31)

• maggie
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I had used these instructions once in the past, and now just posted some pics on the "pet photos" thread - partly to remind myself how to post pics! These instructions are great. Thanks guys.

Deb

• solstice98
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's a link to an alternate method, using your own website to link photos. This one was put together by Delta Charlie.

Here is a link that might be useful: Delta Charlie's website photo posting

• delta_charlie
    17 years ago

Hi all, I just made some more changes to the picture posting how-to. I added info on photobucket and if you work through the samples you will learn how to crop and resize your pictures using free software BEFORE you upload them. This can save quite a lot of time on slower dialup connections. Also added is a sample Notepad file with all the sample code needed to post your pictures. I even added a page on Camera notes and will be putting more info on that page when I get the time.

Hope this helps, DC

Here is a link that might be useful: Direct link to the picture how-to

• solstice98
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've seen a couple questions recently about the MSN "click to post" option. Does anyone know how that works? I don't use MSN so I don't have any experience with it.

• delta_charlie
    17 years ago

Hi all, Update on my direct link to picture posting how-to. It has been moved to my new Internet Service Provider so please use the link below.

Quick note on why the move, I finally figured out how to upgrade to broadband and still keep the costs down. I decided to put the broadband to work and change to Internet phone service. This lets me cancel the regular phone service and save the money it was costing. When you consider what I was paying for regular phone service and dial-up Internet my new setup will cost a bit less per month but I get to enjoy a faster Internet and much cheaper phone calls.

If anybody wants to know more about Internet phone service please email me, I learned a lot researching it and would be happy to share what I learned.

Take care, DC

Here is a link that might be useful: Updated link to picture posting how-to

• solstice98
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I received another email requesting this information so moving it up to page one.

• gover314
    17 years ago

This is very helpful information.DJ

• florah
    17 years ago

Kate,

Thanks for these useful instructions which helped me post a photo on my community's forum. Here is the photo of hamelia patens - fire bush:

• solstice98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Again, we've had some requests, so moving it back closer to the top.

• msmarion
    16 years ago

BUMP!

• tropicalfreak
    16 years ago

I haven't posted pics in a long time. I have some pics of the legless lizard I want to post. I use Kodak Easyshare to get them on the Mac. I have a Photobucket account. Was hoping you woudl be able to walk me thru from getting the pics tfrom Kodak to Photobucket then to Gardenweb. As a quick refresher.

Thanks Kate.

Cliff

• tropicalfreak
    16 years ago

I did it. LOL Like riding a bike.

Thanks,Cliff

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Can you only resize your photo once on photobucket?

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Marion YES, simply click EDIT above the foto you want to edit and select RESIZE.

Looking forward to seeing your stuff!

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Thanks Tony I'm looking forward to posting my stuff, but it seems to only allow me to edit once. Am I missing something?

• rose_hip
    16 years ago

I Got It!! This is great, but I have the same question as msmarion, trying to edit but only getting one shot. and the
    first two I made too small(??) thanks, Terry

• solstice98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You can edit smaller but you can't edit to a bigger size. So it's best to reduce your photo by one size each time to see if you like it. If it gets too small, just delete the tiny one, reload the photo onto Photobucket from your computer and start over.

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Bump

• longwoodgradms
    16 years ago
  • hmwende
    16 years ago

This is a test. If you see a photo then I did it!

47b8df28b3127cceb3238b3ddd2100000027108BZNXDZu5aE

• solstice98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Looks like the first try didn't work. If you need help or have a question, email me at solstice98@att.net.
    Kate

• solstice98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Photobucket has changed a bit since this thread first started in May 2006, so it's probably time for an update.

I'll leave it to you to open your account at Photobucket (or whichever service you choose) and get photos uploaded from your computer to your page there. (If you have problems, email me at solstice98@att.net).

Here's what your photos will look like at Photobucket:

Instead of the 3 choices you used to have, now you'll see that there are 4 boxes under each photo. For posting directly into messages, click on the one that says "HTML code". You'll instantly see a little pop-up box that tells you it's "copied". Go back to the message you are typing into GardenWeb and click on where in the message you want the photo to appear. "Paste" it into that spot. You should see the html code (it's just text at this point, not an actual photo) that starts with a 'less than' sign and the word 'img'. Now when you click on "Preview Message" you should see your text as you've typed it and the photo. (If you can't see the photo then we won't see it when you sumbit the message either, so keep trying.)

If instead of posting the picture for direct viewing in your message, you want to use the URL link boxes, then in Photobucket you would copy your image by clicking on the second box - the one that is labeled "Direct Link". That works but it forces readers to click on the link to get to your image. It's more fun to put it directly into the picture - instant view & instant gratification.

If your photo shows up too large in GardenWeb, then just go back to Photobucket and edit the size. Click on 'edit', then 'resize' once the picture opens. 'Message Board' is obviously a nice size for message boards, but if you have graphic images, logos or little animations, then you can go smaller. Your image will automatically change once the message is posted to GardenWeb so you don't have to change anything there.

If you rename, move or delete your photo in Photobucket, the connection is lost in GardenWeb because you aren't really putting the picture there; you are just putting code into the message that tells the computer to pull up and insert the photo there.

Hope that help!
    But don't hesitate to ask questions if you have problems.

Kate

• carriehelene
    15 years ago

Kate, thank you so much, this post (and it's update) were such a huge help. Every once in a while I try to post a pic, and always fail, until now. Thanks again.

• collinw
    15 years ago
  • alicatafraid
    15 years ago

test

• miss_em
    15 years ago

• solstice98
    Original Author
    15 years ago

nicktexas, the line you want to copy is the one that starts

img src="http......

Kate

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    14 years ago

"Once you have the account you'll see how easy it is to upload your photos to photobucket"

Sorry,I am being very thick!
    I cannot see how to get my photos onto photobucket.
    Can anyone tell me?
    Thank-you.
    Daisy

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

(There is a newer posting about this subject and I posted a reply there too. This one is from 2006 but I updated it in 2008. I'll post other updates on that one so please don't reply on this one; we should try to keep the other one near the top. Kate)

Daisy, first of all, have you set up an account (joined)?
    Then, are you logged in to that account? The place to enter your user name and password are near the top right corner of the page.
    Once you log in, if you are on the Photobucket main page instead of your 'albums' page, then look at the menu bar at the top of the website - I think it's deep blue in color. Near the left on that menu bar is "my albums" with a little down arrow on it. Put your mouse cursor there and choose "albums and upload". That will take you to the page where you can upload pictures from your computer.

Please let me know if that works. I tried to send you an email but wasn't able to find an email address listed on your member page.

Kate

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

STOP! No more posting on this thread PLEASE!

The original post on this thread is from 2006. There is an update first posted in 2008. Please use the link to get to that post!
    2008 PHOTO POSTING UPDATE

Thanks!
    Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: The updated Easy Photo Posting Instructions

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner