Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Anyone watching the Casey Anthony trial? Opening statements are today. Thoughts?

Comments (33)

• amberroses
    12 years ago

I'm glad I didn't get called for that jury.

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

I've always thought that either she did it or was covering up for someone else. That still doesn't explain why she was out partying in the weeks after the child was missing. That's the part that made me not in the least think that she was completely innocent. I know it's supposed to be innocent until proved guilty, but there's no way I could ever sit on that jury with an ounce of impartiality. In either case, I wouldn't want to be in her shoes, living with whatever did go down.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The jury is being sequestered and the trial is expected to last 6-8 weeks. That's pretty tough on jury members. Todays openings were interesting. I don't believe that George Anthony molested Casey or had anything to do with hiding Caylee's body. Casey is a piece of work. She sure appears to have a clinical personality or behavior disorder. It will be interesting to see how Cindy Anthony testifies when she is called to the stand.

• mboston_gw
    12 years ago

Why hide the body if it was an accidental drowning? Just doesn't make sense and what did the autospy show the cause of death to be? Wouldn't that have shown up right away and be made public?

I wish the trial wasn't being made open to the public and news media. If there is a mistrial, there would be no way they would be able to find a new jury in this state.

Original Author
    12 years ago

The two autopsies were inconclusive. Trial is public under Florida sunshine law.

• Irma_StPete
    12 years ago

At this early point in the trial, I can't even deal with any of this tragic story. I think more interesting to my own life is the idea of sequestering jury members (with punishment meted if the citizen refuses) 100 miles from home for anything longer than 2 weeks (possibly 2-3 months in this case)... seems cruel and unusual punishment for jury members. What a toll that could take on relationships, finances, health, individual's equilibrium... everything! Would any of you find it "do-able"? If so, how?

• amberroses
    12 years ago

I believe this is the first nationally televised case I know of where the voire dire jury questioning was shown to everyone in America with a television. I wish the media had shown a little ethics and respected the privacy of the jurors. Often those questions get very personal and I wouldn't want to answer those questions on CNN. They should change the law and make the voire dire portion of the trial private unless the media shows some compelling reason why they need to know. I understand the need for transparency, but the next thing you know they will put cameras in the jury room as they delliberate.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Heck, jury selection was not only on TV, it was streamed live to everyone and anyone with internet access! I could have watched every single minute, if I had time, as WFTV is broadcasting all of the trial live: http://www.wftv.com/caseyanthony/index.html. Use that link to watch two cameras simultaneously (one on lawyer, one on Casey) and read live blog comments. You can continue to watch it live, long after the television stations sign off.

Irma, I felt and dealt with the pain and unbelievable tragedy three years ago when it happened. In the last three years, I have been following the case and evidence. So I am now very ready to see this trial happen and watch how justice unfolds for Caylee.

Here is a link that might be useful: WFTV Live Coverage of Trial

Original Author
    12 years ago

P.S. I could not be a juror because, after reading mountains of evidence over the past three years, I already have a fairly strong opinion regarding Casey's guilt.

You are right. It is going to be very tough on those jurors.

• dirtygardener73
    12 years ago

I don't give a damn about Casey Anthony or her screwed up family. Poor children of color go missing every day in this country, and none of them get this much publicity, and not a whole lot of the public is distraught or appalled or angry when they are found dead. If Casey Anthony were black and poor, this would be a non-case. I'm sick of the whole thing. Caley is dead, and nothing anyone says is going to bring her back, and maybe in that same swamp are the bodies of other missing children that nobody ever wrote up in a national newspaper.

• sass36
    12 years ago

Just a thought---but why would anyone NOT interested in the Casey Anthony case bother to read these posts AND post a follow-up??? I find it very interesting because the child was not reported missing for 31 days. Race has nothing to do with it.

• rosarama
    12 years ago

Dirty Gardener, I'm with you all the way

Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't understand why three people who claim to not be interested in the case would take the time to open the post - - and respond(!), effectively making anyone else who is interested in the case to feel uncomfortable doing so. This is the "Conversations" page, for goodness sake. Why make such condescending remarks on a website made for discussions about other topics of interest? Why so rude toward those of us who are interested? If it doesn't interest you, why not skip it? It sure makes me marvel at the extent of your disinterest.

• sass36
    12 years ago

love_the_yard, I hope you are not including me in the 'three' in your last post. My post was a short version of what you just wrote. I haven't been getting much work done since this trial started. Weeds in garden and dust balls on floor and it has only been 3 days. :-) Did you happen to see George Anthony today? You go, George!!!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Sass, my fault. I can't count and you are right - there were only two drive-bys.

I got to see almost all of Tuesday's testimony but I missed all of Wed and Thurs. I am so eager to catch up! I didn't even know that George testified today. I am headed to wftv to watch the videos. I did see him on late Tuesday afternoon and thought he was so impressive. I agree with you: he was an excellent witness for the prosecution. I am eager to see Cindy and Lee on the stand, if they will take it. It would be even more fascinating to see Casey on the stand. Most say she will not testify but there are some who think she will - even that she must - including Bill Schaeffer on WFTV - in order to hold up the scenario laid out by Baez in opening arguments. It proves to be an interesting trial. What are your thoughts??

Carol

• sass36
    12 years ago

Carol, First off, my heart breaks for George & Cindy. I can't imagine what these people are going thru. George has been hanging tough, I'm not sure Cindy can hold her cool. Lee on the other hand, he'll probably take the 5th. As far as Casey taking the stand, I don't think it will happen. How can you put a diabolical liar on the stand? How can she possibly raise her right hand and swear to tell the truth? And today, after the jury was excused, they bring Tony Lazzaro back in to question him about Casey's 'secrets', ie the abuse. And I do see Bill Sheaffer in the courtroom, front row far left. And I could go on and on and on and on..Sass

• julieyankfan
    12 years ago

Love the yard, I agree with you. This is the conversations page, and if you don't want to discuss it, don't post.
    I think it stinks that people have to be away from their families and jobs for this piece of crap. She is guilty as sin and should just plead guilty and save those people the time and the state the money. I hope they find her guilty and give her the max, which of course she'll appeal and cost the taxpayers more money.
    I saw on the news that the boyfriends are saying how she acted like nothing was wrong right after Caylee went missing.
    Julie

• dirtygardener73
    12 years ago

Drive-bys? So people who have better things to do than watch this case all day long, and express their opinions, but don't care to stick around and dwell in this mire are compared with gang shooters? That is the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard. I'm not trying to make anybody feel bad for being obsessed with this thing. I'm just saying I'm not, and have more to do than worry about it. This country is going to hell in a handbasket, and all I hear is Casey Anthony and Anthony Weiner. Our sons and daughters are being killed in not one, not two, but THREE wars WE started, and I care a lot more about THEM than I do Casey Anthony.

You want my opinion, the parents are in it up to their eyeballs, and they are throwing their daughter to the wolves to cover their own asses. I just wish somebody could prove their part in it. I don't believe a word that comes out of their mouths. I have no sympathy for them. They made Casey what she is, and no amount of their saying how they support her is going to change my opinion of them.

Now, I have to try to get some sleep. I am up tonight because a friend's son was just seriously wounded in Afghanistan and I was up talking to her. Casey Anthony doesn't even compare to the importance of our servicemen overseas, or the starving children living on the streets in this country because of some rich sociopathic bastards on Wall Street who are laughing at us all the way to the bank.

No, I don't have time for Casey Anthony, and if you don't like that, you are welcome to send me a private message and curse me out for being whatever you think I am.

• julieyankfan
    12 years ago

Dirtygardener: FYI, a "drive-by" is a term coined to mean someone who just glances at a post and then makes a comment and then goes onto the next thing. It's not derogatory.
    Also, yes there are things more important in the world than this case, but love-the-yard posted to talk about it because it interested her. No one made you click on the post and if you aren't interested, then DON'T post. It's that simple. Yet, you still put your opinion in your post.
    Please don't make someone else here feel bad for posting. This is the conversations page. If you would like to start a separate conversation about what's going on with our troops, go right ahead.
    BTW, my son has done a tour in both S. Korea and Iraq, but I'm still interested in the Casey Anthony case.
    Julie

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I had knee replacement surgery on May 16th and was released from the hospital on May 19th. The trial started the following Monday and I admit I have been glued to the TV ever since! I never thought I would be this interested in this trial and these people but I am totally hooked. This week I had to go back to work, but only 1/2 days. Each day I've made sure I get home by 1 or 1:30 so I can catch the afternoon testimony.

The comments today by Kronk and Son-of-Kronk have been pretty interesting.

Kate

• jupiterplants
    12 years ago

Yea, Ive been watching the damn
    thing also LOL !

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

The verdict is in and I'm shocked. Shocked and a bit sick. Never expected this outcome.

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

Although I've always been convinced that Casey was guilty of SOMETHING - quite possibly even murdering her daughter, there has been this underlying feeling that she may be covering up for something or someone, too. It's just one of those vague nagging feelings. Also even though there was enough evidence (in my opinion) to prove that the child was in the trunk of her car and that she knew about it and why, I never thought there was enough evidence to PROVE that she did it. Since her behavior in the days that the child was missing was despicable, I was hoping emotionally that she would be found guilty of something, but on the other hand I can't say that if I was a juror I wouldn't have been forced to acquit her since there wasn't anything concrete proving who did it and how it happened.

• amberroses
    12 years ago

What possible REASONABLE explanation is there for driving around with the decomposing body of your daughter in your trunk, partying with your friends for 31 days after she dies, and lying to police about it? Maybe there wasn't enough evidence to say she premeditated it, but for sure there was enough for felony murder.

The vague nagging feelings of unpleasantness you have are because she is freaky and has a freaky family. If George molested her he still wouldn't cover up an innocent accident and make it look like murder. No one covers up an accident and makes it look like murder.

A higher authority will be her judge.

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

I know, there is no reasonable explanation. I've tried and tried to imagine enough evil to explain it and can't. Either she did it or she's covering for someone else, it's a shame that there will probably never be justice for little Caylee here on earth.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

" No one covers up an accident and makes it look like murder."
    Exactly.

• jupiterplants
    12 years ago

How exhausting has this been..... My gut told me from the beginning that this was probably and accident..... left in a hot car in the summer while Casey did her own thing. But where is the punishment for dumping as human body ? If I come home tonight and find my husband on the kitchen floor dead , do I drag him to the backyard and bury him without any punishment for my actions ? Improperly disposing of a person should be met with the upmost serve hand of justice. No excuses ! We need a new law.

• amberroses
    12 years ago

Intentionally leaving a child in a hot car in the Florida summer sun so you can party is NOT an accident it's child abuse, a felony. If she died during the commission of the felony then it's felony murder.

• jupiterplants
    12 years ago

So is leaving a child in a bath tub or pool to drown . But they were calling it an " accident " weren't they ! ?
    She needs to tie her tubes.

• amberroses
    12 years ago

A a pool drowning could be an actual accident because it does not require any intent to abuse the child. She could have wandered into the pool while the adults were sleeping or making breakfast. In the case of an actual accident the response is to call 911 and report it. In the case of a death as a result of child abuse the response to hide it so no one finds out what you've done. Leaving a child in the car can also be an accident such as when stupid parents forget they've left the kid in the car and the child dies. They then call 911.

Once again the proof is in the fact that no one covers up an accident to make it look like murder.

• jupiterplants
    12 years ago

No one is arguing with you , but when you take your mind off a child bad things can happen. The list of what can happen is endless. And yes , good , loving people have left children in cars. Very sad.

• julieyankfan
    12 years ago

Leaving a child in a hot car is one thing, but cholorforming her and duct taping her mouth is a different story.

Now her lawyer is saying she needs counseling after being in jail! I hope we taxpayers don't get stuck with that bill.

Julie

• jupiterplants
    12 years ago

They didn't prove the chloroforming. You may think she chloroformed the kid , but it wasn't proven. Personally I think she guilty, but with our legal system,
    You can't vote with your gut.