Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura1_

we're look at 'new' houses

laura1
16 years ago

I sold my house last year before the market got so bad. I'm happy with what I sold it for. There are a lot of houses out there and we are looking at something bigger than what we have now, my husband's house. I'm out in the yard planting all kinds of stuff not knowing how long we are going to be here. It will look nice for buyers, I think.

I am amazed that people are getting really desperate to sell their houses and the deal we are going to be able to pick up! We might be in the same boat when we go to sell this one...but we don't have to sell this one in order to buy the next one. Still, we don't want to be making two house payments for very long.

We will be looking at several tomorrow. They look good from the outside and on the MLS sheet but what do they look like inside? We've seen some bad stuff.

Comments (4)

• cindeea
    16 years ago

laura-the young couple that bought the home next to ours about 3 years ago put so much into it when it was more a buyers market. They put in all tile floors, marble counters and tile showers. The home was just over a year old when they bought it. Their parents built in our neighborhood about the same time we did. The parents owned their own business and her hubby is a commercial painter. As time went on, her hubby was finding jobs hard to come by. The parents sold their home and the neighbors is on the market. I feel so bad, they left for Jacksonville where they all found good work and better home prices, however, they are gonna loose their pants if their lovely starter home even sells. We were lucky 5 yrs ago to be in the right place at the right time. The building market was booming, and we found we could build new with more sq footage and lot size than taking over the townhouse we were living in, at the time we planned to gut and remodel. I have been in the real estate, construction and development field for many years in Florida. Now, I can't buy a job. Good luck to you. It's an opportune time for buyers that do not have a current mortgage or are in the green to buy!

• JoanM
    16 years ago

Where are you looking Laura? Buy mine :->

I am in the position you are about to put yourself in. Having two house and scratching your head wondering about the market. It's crazy because now I am gardeing at two houses! The one with the spinkler system has been getting all the rain of course.

• laura1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, Joan, zone 10 might mean an awful long drive! We are in Tampa...north Tampa. South Tampa is a whole other price range. Last year I was taking care of two yards...not fun!
    We may decide to rent this one if we find it is hard to sell. My husband bought it in 2000 so we can take a bit of a "hit" on the selling price. We have up graded it and that should attract buyers away from other houses. We remodeled the kitchen and the "master bath"-it's small.
    Almost everything we've looked at (everything?) needs the kitchen fixed. One I want to look at today was built in 1980 and has the original kitchen and baths but "well cared for"! I don't care if it was NEVER used it needs to be up dated!

• laura1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We looked at three today. The house that we liked the best had the worst yard. They had some viburnum next to the house and that was it besides GRASS. There were no trees at all! I want some sun for roses but I have a lot of shade loving plants and I can't wait 20 years for a tree to grow. Funny, the inside of the house was as stark! Everything was white (tile and walls and carpet) and no decorations/pictures, very sterile inside and out.
    We still like the first one we looked at a couple of months ago...waiting for them to come down on the price!