Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pllove_gw

Trade follow up....

pllove
17 years ago

How is everyone's plants doing?I know I have traded with many over the years...some people are missing from the forum,too! Would be nice to hear from everyone. Peggy

Comments (12)

• solstice98
    17 years ago

I'll have to get out my camera too. I've got a couple plants that I can't remember what they are or who I got them from!

• pllove
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Can any of you remember being at my home?How many homes in my county have you been to?LOL I'm getting so forgetful,too....I did enjoy having you at my home though..I'm sure!Would be nice just to hear a hello and ..about your garden and plants and family etc. just one small paragraph......

• msmarion
    17 years ago

Hi Peggy,
    We've never met but, I was wondering if you might have some suggestions for me. It seems like you have been gardening in FL for sometime.
    I've just finished a butterfly garden and I have four raised beds for veggies. Do you think marigold's planted around the boxes would be a good choice to soften and hide the wood frames?
    I'd like to start next to my neighbor's 4 ft chainlink fence and work towards the shed. I'd say the bed would be about 10 ft wide and 30 ft long to the shed. This spot gets morning shade. Would you have any suggestions what to use at the back of this bed that's not going to require alot of trimming? I'd like to continue with the cottage/butterfly theme. I'd appreciate any ideas you might have.
    Thanks,
    Marion

• pllove
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marion, I never had much luck with the marigolds..they always seemed to be infested with leaf miners.I know there was a marigold "tagets"(sp)that was use to dress up beds and were used as a help in detouring harmful pests in the veggie bed.I haven't had a veggie garden in years though..and i'm sure choices and selections have changed.You could go with blue daze,herbs,purselane(their edible)to soften the beds and cover the wood sides in the front.And as far as height in the back I'm stumped..Taller veggies...like smaller egg plants...smaller sunflowers like teddy bears? You have to keep in mind...are you changing out on each growing season...cool and warm crops etc. I'm flatterd that you thought of me...I'd be willing to show and teach you anything that I know.I'm sure there are active veggie growers on the forum that are more up to date ..than I am LOL. I wish you luck and happy gardening. Peggy

• msmarion
    17 years ago

Thanks for all of your suggestions Peggy. I was not very clear on the bed that's going against the neighbor's fence. It will be seperate from the the veggie boxes. I'm kinda thinking a back drop of butterfly bush would be pretty. I love the foliage and they can be pruned back nicely I think they grow to 6' so if I space them right they would fill in and cover the ugly chainlink fence. They come in several colors, pink, white and a deep purple.

I forgot to ask you what's growing in your back yard?

• pllove
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marion, I don't have too much in the back now.I'm working on it.As a matter of fact,I just came in from watering the back,and sat down to cool off!My feet are swollen to bust. The storms hit my back yard hard!I have a few tropical fruit trees,a dwarf mulberry,a couple of old citrus trees,a couple of passion vines,a purple orchid tree,1 or 2 hibiscus,a couple of jasmines.... and a few other things LOL I have a mess out there.A couple of small palms...A mess. That's why I was asking for help a while back. I have to do something with the back....heck I have to do something with the front,too! LOL I asked for a few things on the exchange page in hopes of finding some of my plants a home and getting a few things to go in the back yard. I'm in a bad area of the state evidently...everyone is north or south or west! LOL And I have noticed that a lot of people aren't interested in some of the plants I have...like the bromeliads...they sell for big bucks...and I can't seem to give the things away! LOL Everyone seems to be into butterfly gardening or veggies. I'll make it some how...LOL I know I need some water out back, hose dragging is getting rough!There's no way to list all of the plants I have....I don't think.LOL I have a few in pots that I need to get into the ground too, or trade them out!I need a small army of help...that never seems to arrive! LOL Peggy

• msmarion
    17 years ago

Peggy, I know an army of three who would like to come and help you out. We are available Wednesdays or Thursdays. It's Lisa (GCMastiffs), Kat (Butterflygardener) and myself.
    We have the tools. You have the plan. Let me know when and we will be there.

• pllove
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marion, If you girls think you can behave...LOL! I'm being tag teamed by the doctors next week on the 15th and 17th.Let's see what's left of me..after they get thru.I still haven't gotten any sleep ,either! I feel rough! I have all the tools we need...I need to pick up some potting soil...I can't seem to keep a supply here.It would be nice if all of you road running girls could come up once in a while..to give me a hand. I also know of some neat nurseries in my area that are just a skip and a hop from me...that I could show you someday...write these down or i might forget...Horizons,Mr.B's,Peterson's,Busy Bee..I have found some really neat and reasonably priced things at these places...and of course I can turn you on to some neat websites too...but I can't think right now..I'm so @!@#$% tired.Please keep the list of nurseries though...never know when you might be up this way.Let's plan on Thursday..and hope for pleasant weather etc.... Peggy

• scents_from_heaven
    17 years ago

Peggy, I have offered to come on a Tuesday and Beth7Happy (Beth) is willing to come with me. All you have to do is tell us you would like us to come and we can arrange a date. Linda

• pllove
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Linda, A Tues. sounds great, let's keep in touch.I get to meet the head doctor Mon. and the new doctor again on Wed....but if you travel light and fast.LOL I sure don't want to have to worry about people getting into an accident coming to see me. Keep in touch with Beth and me over the next couple of days..and we'll watch the weather,too. Peggy

• pllove
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well as you can all tell..maybe .there is no trade or get together for today.This is not to hurt or embarrass anyone..it's just a fact.Evidently there was a problem with e-mails between all parties involved/concerned? I have had all my potting soil ready in anticipation or in order to be prepared in case of the arrival of other gardeners.. BTW. But as I mentioned above, the Wed.17th doctors appointment might have been a blow...and yes it was! I thought I had myself all prepared for the news I might get from him, with the test results..but I wasn't! I don't know if all of these things I have said on the conversations page since March have all been futile or not...I know it has been a little funky at times...but I knew I had/have myself in a bind..in body and mind and with all of my plants etc. and this new doctor/doctors have only confirmed it in some ways.It's more than just the meds that have been prescribed..all of these years there were tests that should have been taken/administerd and weren't.So I have these new findings that I was suspicious of all along. I spoke with my mother last night..and she told me I need to lighten my load around here for health reasons...which I already knew and had mentioned on this forum...several times in the past. But this trade thing doesn't seem to work too well for me.So I will try to pursue other avenues? Such as on- line auctions or an advertised plant sale in the local newspaper?I'm open for suggestions! That's all I was ever really looking for on this forum and maybe companionship and information that so many others seem to be seeking on this forum as well. Some just seem to post more on either the disscussion or conversation page more often......seems to be the only difference to me. Any ideas that someone may be able to give me would be appreciated. Peggy

• scents_from_heaven
    17 years ago

Peggy, can you email me with what the doctor said. I am worried about you. I am sorry you have so many things going on in your life. Linda