Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

Eggplant soup?

annafl
17 years ago

My DH likes eggplant and convinced me to plant a couple in the garden. I did it gladly. Now we have eggplant coming out the wazoo. No one else in our family cares for it much, but it is so healthy and pretty, we can't let it go to waste. Almost every day I add it to something. Eggplant in the stir-fry, eggplant in the stew, eggplant frittata, fried eggplant.

Anyone have any easy eggplant recipes they can share with me? Needless to say, all my neighbors and friends who like eggplant have had a visit. Help, please!

Comments (14)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    17 years ago

Here's 1 for you..... = )

Stuffed Eggplant
    yield 6 Lg -12 med servings

Preheat oven to 375F.

Wash & trim tops off 3 average size eggplants (8" long, 3" - 4" wide), place cut side down on an oiled baking pan/sheet (non-reactive, i.e. not aluminum - or line an aluminum sheet w/ parchment) & bake for 20-30 minutes, until soft & slightly wrinkled.

While eggplant is baking, saute 1# Italian-style bulk sausage in a few Tbs. olive oil until just cooked through - breaking into smallish pieces.Remove to a bowl, leaving juices in pan.

Saute approx. 1 - 1 1/2 cups diced fresh mushrooms in reserved pan juices, over med. high heat for several minutes, than add 1 bunch washed & chopped fresh spinach to pan & continue cooking until wilted & soft.Try to evaporate/cook off as much liquid as possible.

Add mushroom/spinach mixture to sausage in bowl, mix well.

Once eggplant is done & cooled enough to handle, scoop out centers - leaving approx.3/4" shell.Sprinkle shell insides w/ a bit of salt (or not - up to you) Add cooked eggplant pulp to sausage mixture, making sure to break up any large pieces.Taste filling & adjust seasonings if necessary.

Lower oven temp. to 350F.

Add approx. 1/3 - 1/2 cup grated Romano or parmesan cheese to sausage mixture, blending well, then fill scooped-out eggplant halves, mounding slightly - there should be just enough to fill the 6 halves.

Sprinkle tops w/ some grated mozzarella or jack cheese (provolone might be good too), then place pan back in oven & bake for 20-30 minutes - or until cheese is bubbly & beginning to brown.

• AmberSky
    17 years ago

Eggplant Frittata?! Mmmmm!
    I like ratatui (Yes,I'm sure I butchered the spelling) and eggplant is a main part of that.

If you haven't tried the ichiban variety of eggplant, let me recomend it.

• pllove
    17 years ago

You can grill them too,with tomatoes and onions etc. and even slice them in strips and wrap in bacon!.....And you can make eggplant parmesean for the entire neighborhood.Hmm...you could add them to stuffings too...

• ariel73
    17 years ago

I don't have a recipe for them, but I love Eggplant Parmesan and lasagna made with eggplant!

• scents_from_heaven
    17 years ago

Email me your email address to loverofdisney@hotmail.com and I will send recipies. Linda

• annafl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Carol, that stuffed eggplant sounds really good. My only hesitation is that it sounds like a lot of work. I am a really lazy cook, I'm afraid. My daughter is a vegetarian, my son is a carnivore. My husband and I are easy, but it's difficult to juggle meals to please the kids. I think it sounds like a great entree for an adult dinner party. Hey! That's one way to use them up!

Amber, the stew I made was kind of a ratatouille. Was better received than most things I make. I was surprised. It's the kind of meal that is a little different each time, though. I hope I can reproduce it.

pllove, I like the grilling idea- nice and easy. Maybe this weekend I'll fire up the grill.

Ariel, I have been too lazy to dig up a recipe for eggplant parmesan, but I have been meaning to do it. Maybe I'll look online tonight for one. An easy one. I only make lasagna rarely because my daughter only eats veggie, and my son only eats meat based lasagna.

Linda, will send you an email tonight. Only easy stuff, please! Thanks for spending the time.

Thanks, everyone!

Anna

• treefrog_fl
    17 years ago

Here's an eggplant appetizer called Melanzane sott'olio.
    Not a real meal, but a wonderful relish like side. It keeps for quite some time.

Boil 1 cup red wine vinegar
    1 cup water
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp sugar
    pinch of red pepper flakes
    Simmer for about 4 minutes or til tender:
    1 lb eggplant (1/4" slices)
    3 or 4 cloves garlic (thinly sliced)
    Remove from simmering liquid and layer in a jar or glass bowl the eggplant, garlic, and about 15 fresh mint leaves (basil if you prefer)
    sprinkle with some more red pepper flakes
    cover with olive oil
    let it marinate for 2 days or more in the fridge.

Serve with calamata olives and fresh tomatoes, shaved parmesan. Mmmm.
    Delicious antipasta.

Treefrog

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    17 years ago

It actually wasn't much work @ all - prebaking the eggplant is dead easy - much easier than prepping it for eggplant parmesan (which I absolutely LOVE, BTW)

I used only 2 pans (enamelled broiler pan bottom & a large nonstick skillet) & 1 bowl & sauteeing the sausage & mushrooms takes minutes.The entire thing took me a little over an hour.

It's great way to use a LOT of eggplant up @ once = )

Oh & it's low-carb too.....

• pllove
    17 years ago

YUM YUM...I wish we could get together and munch. I used to love to cook and watch people eat..... LOL

• lyam
    17 years ago

I've not eaten egg plant much, can't even say I remember what it tastes like, but these recipes make me want to eat it. They sound very tasty.

You know Peggy someone else used to love to cook an watch people eat.

Just kidding. That's just the first thing that came to mind when I read your post =)

Tim

• pllove
    17 years ago

a witch eating kids? Hansel and gretel?LOL...I'd love to know how your mind took that trip. LOL

• annafl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh my gosh, Linda, I will never ever need another eggplant recipe again! I was kidding when I said eggplant soup, but you actually included TWO recipes for eggplant soup amongst the many others! WOW! I can't wait to try them. Thank-you!

• lyam
    17 years ago

Purely word association. I read something or see something an the ol' gears get to a turnin =)

• scents_from_heaven
    17 years ago

There are more coming your way. I just have not had the time to send them yet. One is a set of healhier recipes and one is just another set of recipes. I collect recipes and have a large volume on almost anything under the sun. I have them on CD's and I am in the process of making them into a cookbook format with backgrounds, etc. Need anything -- just ask. Linda