Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindeea_gw

Do you ever JERKY???

cindeea
16 years ago

Dennis's son Dan loves Jerky. It is expensive and full of salt and preservatives and other crap. For being such a big help to Dennis and I lately, we decided to buy a dehydrator for making Beef Jerky and I can also do my nut and dried fruit trail mixes. MAN-O-MAN this is goooood!!! We made the ground beef jerky sticks today. I have always been like 'ok' with Beef Jerky. Nothing I would go out of my way for. But this is really a tasty snack...I accused the guys of "Jerkying-Off" today when I cam home from the store and they were cookin'! It has been a fun diversion for Dennis too. Anyone else use a dehydrator?? Any recipes you want to share? We bought extra seasonings, but today used the 2 that came with the machine. What fun!

Comments (27)

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Ahem......

Dried bananas and tomatoes work out really good. We used to make fruit leather too.

Dehydrating is a fine line between actually cooking an item and drying it. You can even dehydrate a pizza and then store it in the freezer or pantry. Before cooking you simply sprinkle some water on the pizza and presto chango its pretty darn near back to normal.

We did make some JERKY together, NEVER ALONE and it turned out really good. Liquid smoke really adds amazing flavor. My most fav of all was teriyaki jerky!

have fun with yours!

• coffeemom
    16 years ago

Not buying the pizza thing, Tony.

By the way, missed you guys today, but abstinence will make the heart grow fonder.

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Kristi ! Wished we could have been there. I really enjoy seeing all of ya's . MB is already packing things she needs for the classes next week. She works all week and only has ample time on the weekends to go shopping for the supplies she needs. Next get together will be even Greater!

As for the pizza thing, its no lie, yet I am having trouble finding info on the complete dehydrated pizza on the net. We bought our excalibur dehydrator some 30 yrs ago and I swear, the dehydrated pizza recipe was in the book. I looked for about half an hour trying to find the book, but with no luck yet.

I havent given up yet on the net though.

Stay tuned.

• coffeemom
    16 years ago

Yeah, the dehydrated pizza and jimmy hoffa.
    I'm sure they'll turn up.

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

MAN ! You are making me MORE determined than EVER to find info on the dehydrated PIZZA! You sure discovered my HOT button aintcha?

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Dear Kristi,

I went to the excalibur dehydrator site and so far found THIS on Pizza. So far, its only the crust, but there was MORE! Still looking I assure you.

Buckwheat Veggie Pizza Crust by Chef Jeff Riedesel

* 1 ½ c sprouted buckwheat Groats or sprouted Barley
    * 1/4 c Olive Oil Garlic, Italian spices and herbs to taste
    * 2/3 c Carrot Pulp
    * 2/3 c Soaked Flax seeds
    * 1 TB Braggs Liquid Aminos®
    * ½ c Sundried tomatoes (opt)
    * ½ - 1 Jalapeño, Minced

Directions

* Put all ingredients into a food processor and process until well mixed
    * Scoop out mixture into batches onto a solid Teflex® dehydrator sheet.
    * If dough is sticky, moisten your hands and the dough's surface
    * With moisten hands, shape the dough into a rough square or circle and pat top of crust flat
    * Smooth the top and edges to form desired size
    * Check for evenness of ¼" - ½" thick
    * Dehydrate at 100 degrees for 7 -8 hours
    * Flip & transfer the mesh dehydrating rack for faster double sided dehydrating and dehydrate another 2 -4 hours depending on the softness or crispiness you desire

Can be used immediately as a pizza by topping with your favorite toppings
    Stores well in a dry place for a month

• nytrinigemini
    16 years ago

Matty dehydrates too. He makes beef jerky. Drives the dog crazy all day....of course its a treat for her too :-) I haven't tried fruits yet but I'm sure when I get some fruit trees I will be dehydrating my fair share too. :-)

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Kristi,

Seems YOU WIN, I can NOT prove what I said at the moment. Desperate House Wives is on and I am exhausted looking for a 30 yr old dehydrator recipe book.

I aint saying nothing no mo that I can prove in advance!

• scents_from_heaven
    16 years ago

Some Jerky recipies
    JERKY RECIPE 1

LAS CRUCES SPICE MIX DRY RUB

3 lbs lean sirloin steak strips

2 tbl New Mexico red chili powder

¼ cup kosher salt

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp black pepper

4-6 tbl liquid smoke

First coat strips of meat with a couple of dashes of liquid smoke, spread evenly over meat.

Mix dry ingredients well and sprinkle them over the meat, both sides.

Place into your marinating receptacle and make sure the rub is coating the meat well. Marinate the meat in this rub overnight (12-16 hours).

Cook in your dehydrator (we recommend the Excalibur which you can buy from Dad's Jerky) cook according to your manufacturer's instructions or in your oven at least at 150 degrees fos at least 6 hours or longer until it is jerky.

JERKY RECIPE 2

WESTERN STYLE JERKY MARINADE

3 pounds lean steak (we recommend sirloin)

Jerky Marinade: 1 cup Worcestershire sauce

1 cup soy sauce

½ cup brown sugar

8 cloves garlic  chopped

4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper

4 teaspoons ground dried red chili New Mexico  or Ancho

2 teaspoons onion powder

4 tablespoons of liquid smoke (omit if using a smoker)

Mix ingredients in a bowl until blended well. Refrigerate 1 hour.

You can always pre-mix the marinade and keep in the refrigerator a few days prior to marinating the meat.

Take marinade out of refrigerator and take stripped meat trimmed of fat and place in a container or large zip lock bag.

Pour marinade into container and mix until all the meat is coated.

Place back in refrigerator for 12-18 hours.

Mix occasionally, if you use a bag (we recommend this) you can squeeze and massage meat through the bag occasionally or if in a bowl, stir it turning meat over.If using a bag we recommend placing bag into a bowl or appropriate
    container in case the bag leaks.

After marinating take strips out and pat dry with paper towel.

Pre-cook or dehydrate or smoke always using the manufactures instructions.

JERKY RECIPE 3--DEER JERKY

VENISON JERKY YOUÂLL LIKE

3 pounds venison sliced ¼" thick by 3/4" wide

¼ Cup liquid smoke (omit if smoking meat)

½ cup soy sauce

½ cup Worcestershire sauce

½ teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon accent meat tenderizer

1 teaspoon garlic powder

2 teaspoon onion powder

½ cup water

chili pepper seeds to taste

Marinate for 24
    hours instead of the suggested 12-18 hours.

EASY SNACK TIP:

Are you buying those fattening Microwave Popcorn packages or are you still in the dark ages uses an Air PopCorn Machine! Throw away that one use wonder!
    Use your Microwave!
    Take a medium lunch bag put in 1/4 cup of popcorn of your choice fold top part of bag about a 1/4 inch a few times over(don't want any kernals to pop out!) then depending on your microwave (mine is 1000 watts) cook on high for 90 seconds. Works...

• scents_from_heaven
    16 years ago

Tony is not pulling your leg. There are dehydrated pizza recipes out there but not any that I really found appetizing.

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

THERE, Take THAT 'doubting coffeemom!'

Thanks Linda. (I am sure its not enough though to convince her, SHE IS TOUGH as nails)

• cindeea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

YUM-Kat those sound like some good recipes! Dennis made flank steak terraki jerky yesterday...I think it's gone already or the guys are hiding it from me. Man it goes fast around here!

• wanna_run_faster
    16 years ago

You all obviously have never eaten Nutri-system food, lol. Cause almost everything is dehydrated (including the pizza Tony!) or in suspended amination. (And just in case any one was seriously interested in making dehydrated pizza...there's a reason I'm still fat! You can't eat the pizza so you end up calling out for a real one...and then you have to finish off that last slice cause you're just going to throw it out tomorrow....)

• tropicalfreak
    16 years ago

Has anyone made the fruit roll ups??

Is all the stuff you can dehydrate, lower in fat??

What for in a dehydrator?? I have read horizontal is better than vertical. Flavors don;t mix as much.

Cliff

• tropicalfreak
    16 years ago

What should I look for in a dehydrator.?

• coffeemom
    16 years ago

Ok, ok, so you can "do" a pizza BUT if I have 3 lbs of sirloin sitting around, it's going on the grill before it gets dehydrated.
    (Note to self: after apocolypse,hitch to Cindee's for jerky)

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

Thanks for the recipes Linda :)

Now I am going to get out my dehydrator and get started !
    I haven`t used it in a while.

I always pre cook my meat.. do you all do the same ?

Cliff, I think they are all the same. I wouldn`t get one to big .

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Cliff,

Read the included link. It explains how you can use an oven to dehydrate things. You can make solar dehydrators too. For those nay-sayers, its in the same link.

We used to make fruit leather (roll-ups) simply by using a blender and liquefying the fruit like strawberries. We would lay a sheet of saran wrap on the rack and pour the fruit onto it and let it dry.

No kidding, dried tomato slices are just about fought for over here. (Not by me of course)

Here is a link that might be useful: Very Good Dehydrator info to be scrutinized by u know who....

• coffeemom
    16 years ago

I have gone from a Brom-ho to a Nay-sayer?

• coffeemom
    16 years ago

Here you can dry fruit for trial mix.
    Now where's my box fan?

Here is a link that might be useful: Good Eats

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Ahem... I am NOT buying the 'trial mix' thing one bit. Show me where there is such a thing as 'trial mix'.

Yeah, the dehydrated pizza. I am sure the dehydrated pizza will turn up before trial mix, unless this is something nytrinigemini recently invented up in Jax.

Sheeesh!

• coffeemom
    16 years ago

Where's the &@#$! spell czech!

• scents_from_heaven
    16 years ago

Kristi, you need help girlfriend *hugs*

Cindee, check these dehydrated recipes out

Here is a link that might be useful: dehydrated mixes

• tropicalfreak
    16 years ago

Tony,
    A oven uses electricity and a little more I care to pay for to make leather out of fruit or meat. lol

Upon moving into this place the electric was $220. For the past 3 months it has been in the low to mid $120's.

With Summer on our heels it may get up to $150, (I hope not). I think all the a/c's are cahoot's with the power companies. lol

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Cliff, I bet you could dehydrate stuff in a closed car parked in the sun.

There are plans for solar dehydrators too.

I agree, I dislike high energy bills. With my pool GONE, my bill is at least 40 clams less and my chemical costs are gone too which used to cost some 35$ (at least) per month.

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

I've dried tomato slices on the dashboard of my truck.
    Used the racks out of the dehydrator, towel under them to cover the dashboard.
    I think it was even quicker than using the dehydrator.
    Luckily I didn't have to use the truck that day.

Dehydrated pizza is what I have for breakfast after a good party night. lol.

• tropicalfreak
    15 years ago

Kristi...box fan for drying fruit and nits..roflmao!!!!!

David...using the dash board of your truck to dry tomatoes...roflmao too..

you guys are too much.

And Tony still thinks clams are a form of currency. roflmao...lol

Tropicalfreak