Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wanda662

Help--Need Advise

wanda662
15 years ago

I have a neighbor that waters his yard "every" night. I just found out what time the sprinklers come on, around 3:30 AM.

We are on a 2 days a week watering schedule.

My question is, should I call and report him or should I let it go?

His one sprinkler waters the asphalt, my drive way and truck!

TIA

Comments (7)

• julieyankfan
    15 years ago

That's a tough one. Do you have an HOA? Does his grass look great while everyone else's looks brown? If it does, someone has to notice. I know here in Pasco, if you call code enforcement and the person goes to their office, they will tell him who made the report and you have to give your name to make a complaint. If you call and he finds out, it could create some problems, but this guy has some nerve watering while the rest of us try to conserve and obey the rules.

Okay, okay, after weighing the pros and cons, I'd call. What makes him special? Also, I love my truck and if he was getting that water on my baby and leaving water spots, he would have been told about it long ago!lol

Keep us posted.

Julie

• wanda662
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Julie,

After all the rain yesterday and through the night, he watered again! I keep hoping the cops come by and catch him. I hate being a rat!
    He has already been in trouble with code enforcement. He thinks he doesn't have to follow the rules.
    It's a sad situation for sure.

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I have to admit that I don't think this one is a tough call. At least not for me. I'm not the neighborhood police but I do believe we have a real crisis going on and wastefulness is not acceptable. Report him. You aren't being a rat, you're being a good steward of our Mother Earth. Take care of Mom. Report him.

Kate

• naplesgardener
    15 years ago

I think the "authorities" are making a mistake to require you to give your name when there is a clear violation. There should be a tip-line.

I'm glad I don't have this dilemma.

However my neighbor got a code violation visit and had to spend several days cleaning up their yard. I could tell she thinks we made the call but we didn't and wouldn't. It didn't bother me at all and I told her that.
    She said they would find out by checking with the county. She now thinks it's another neighbor.
    It makes for bad relations.

There has to be a better way to do this.

• wanda662
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really don't care if he knows it's me or not. My problem is that he will stop watering at 3:30 and change to another time. When we first started this water restriction I told him he could only water 2 days between these hours. He said he could water any time he wanted because we were on well water. NOT! He would water at noon, and you know that's a waste of water. He is a hard headed "B".
    When I get back from W. Palm this morning I will call and see what the sheriff will do. Wish me luck!

• gatormomx2
    15 years ago

The Ag Center told me to call the Health Department - that's who handles the water restrtictions in our county . They urge everyone to call if you see violations even if it is your neighbor . Due to recent tax reductions , they have had to drastically reduce staff everywhere and need our help more than ever to be good citizens . The environment is every single person's responsibility . If someone else shirks their duties , then the rest of us have to step up to the job . End of lecture and stepping down from soapbox now .

• julieyankfan
    15 years ago

Our Security Patrol was supposed to take over the code violations so that individuals wouldn't have to call and leave their names, but they didn't want the neighborhood hating them, so they stopped. It would have been a good idea.

I haven't washed my baby, I mean my truck in months, so why should this guy get away with watering. We have to conserve. This is too serious an issue. It makes me so mad when I hear of HOA's giving people tickets because they're grass is turning brown, but in order to keep it so green, they have to violate watering restrictions!

Thank goodness for the rain this weekend. We got about 5"! Yeah!

Julie

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH