Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tampafred_gw

My soapbox today....

tampafred
17 years ago

and in the past....this posting will probably get yanked and I will probably get chastized, but I'm gonna say it anyway:

I'd just like to thank GWB and his cronies for making me feel like a second-class citizen today as he pushes for and Congress debates the gay marriage ban. Forget the fact that I am a productive, voting, caring, law-abiding, tax-paying American citizen who happens to be gay and partnered to the most wonderful man in the world for almost 7 years. I'm a also a proud Democrat.

Dissent is patriotic!

I'll shut-up now.

Comments (14)

• myfask
    17 years ago

tf
    As long as someone is law-abiding, I don't feel anyone has the right to say how someone should live
    IMO attention should be paid to child molesters, abusers, drug dealers. Congress's energy should be focused on the above as well as education and starving children.
    Lets get our priorities in order, we have children bringing guns into schools, drugs being sold on the streets to children, children graduating that can barely read and write.
    Thats what the government should be focused
    A committed relationship is a committed relationship and IMO it is really no ones business but the 2 people in the relationship
    Karla

• maureen155
    17 years ago

I don't think you should shut up, Tampafred. I think you should be screaming to anyone that isn't listening. This is a ridiculous political ploy and an assault on many of our finest citizens. What's next? I shudder to think.

Maureen

• Nicki
    17 years ago

Hey TampaFred. I'm a registered independent... I admit, I tend to be a tad more conservative than liberal... but I like to think I'm well balanced. I'd like to think a lot of conservatives are like me and are wondering what the big deal about gay marriage is.

I just do not get the whole banning gay marriage thing. What's the big deal? If two people love each other, and they want to get married, then I say go for it. Maybe I'm missing something? I dunno.

I feel strongly about being limited. I don't think anyone in this country should be limited if what they want to do is not going to harm another person. Gay? So what? Straight? Big deal. Purple hair? I really don't care. It's not up to me to pass judgement on anyone because of the way they live their life. I'm impressed by a person's character, not by who they've been dating. You're a very lucky man to have found a great partner and have been together for as long as you have. You two have outlasted a lot of marriages!

Me, personally, I love gay men. :)
    I'd marry one in a heartbeat! But, alas, I would never be his type...

• last_mango
    17 years ago

I heard that on NPR on my way to work this morning AND COULD NOT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!! With all the problems we have in America - education, health care, SS, and WAR, this is what GWB and the Republican Party chooses to focus on?? It is insane. In fact, didn't the Republican Party used to be all about LESS government control?? How can they even be thinking of writing such discrimination into the constitution? Unbelievable.

• julieyankfan
    17 years ago

I could be wrong, but I think this whole gay marriage ban thing is a way to cover up the furor over illegal immigration. What are they thinking - let's pick on legal citizens and their right to a peaceful life, gay or straight, and maybe everyone will forget about all the illegals in this country!!! Or maybe they're trying to distract us from the price of gas!!!! Oh yes, a gay marriage ban is much more important than lowering the price of gas!!!
    Tampafred, I sometimes wonder how this country is going to survive much longer with the way it is being run.

Julie

• solstice98
    17 years ago

Julie - I agree and I think you've hit on it perfectly. Everytime our attention focuses too closely on something outrageous, they try a diversion.
    I haven't always agreed with my government, but I've never been depressed about it before. I am now. And frightened. This administration scares me.

• lyam
    17 years ago

It's one of the oldest tricks in The Book Fredrico. Create a distraction so people won't pay attention to what you are really up to. "Lookit here teh evil gheys is destroyin Amurika! Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

It doesn't bother me in the least if any gets married. It happens everyday an my life hasn't changed, and if gays get married it won't change it either. All that speech amounts to is another way to keep The People (you know We The People) divided and at each others throats, so the politicans can do as they please. It won't work on me.

Tim

• tampafred
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You guys n' gals are the best! I have always been very civic-minded, voted in every election I could, love to read about politics and government and have even written my local politicans regarding various issues. I, too, am very dismayed by this administration and their complete lack of governing for the people. Their agenda is ALL they care about and I am really frustrated. Diversionary tactics, or "wedge" issues, frustrate me even more because it causes me to think that, like you said Tim, the man behind the curtain is up to no good....something sinister?? Who knows. All I can say is hurry up November 4, 2008!

• julieyankfan
    17 years ago

TampaFred, you have to check out the cartoon on the editorial page of the St. Pete Times today. You'll love it!

For those of you who don't get that paper, it's a picture of a sinking ship and the people left onboard are yelling to the people drowning in the water not to worry, Captain Bush is going to ban gay marriage!!! That says it all!

Solstice, I have never felt so scared by our government before, either. I always felt that no matter what happened, the gov't would work things out, but I don't feel like that anymore.

Tim, well said.

TampaFred, I don't know if we can make it till 2008. What worries me is what idiots we'll have to choose from. Anyway, I wish peace & happiness to you and your partner.

Julie

• AmberSky
    17 years ago

Yes, it's the Distraction Fandango again. We have an immoral war, an illegitimate election, and a government that can't even manage to hide their egregious corruption, so let's parade Gay Marriage out, and maybe the voters won't notice.
    We really won't notice that something that harms not one person, the right to formal recognition of the reality of a loving commitment, is being used to hide all of that crap?

All I can say is...just two more years...just two more years....

• last_mango
    17 years ago

I saw this bumper sticker the other day...

"2008 - The End of an Error"

:-)

• Nicki
    17 years ago

Ok! I've got it! Here's the REAL problem with gay marriage!

If "we" let the gays marry, in a few years from now there'll be a lot of gay divorcees!

Sorry. My view on marriage itself is dim... ;-)

• julieyankfan
    17 years ago

Hey, at least it will keep the divorce attorneys in business. We can never have enough lawyers!!!LOL

What a world! I love that bumper sticker!

Julie

• mistiaggie
    17 years ago

Someone posted something on a bulletin on myspace regarding this and listed all the conservatives who were divorced and how many times. It was great!

The problem is that people believe that their religion should be infused into the government. It isn't just strong Christians (or should I say certain groups of Christians) but other religions are against gay marriage/gays in general. It's unfortunate. They will always argue that there isn't a separation of church and state and continue to push religion into our laws.

I hope this isn't passed and that the state laws that have occured are overturned.

If you like progressive talk radio you should tune into Ed Schultz sometime. I get him on AM 940 here in Broward, but he may be on some other stations.