Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irma_stpete

What kind of digital camera to buy?

Irma_StPete
18 years ago

Never had a digital, would like to photograph my blooms close up, and landscapes when traveling, but also my cats indoors. Please give me some guidance. Don't want too cheap a bargain that will disappoint or be problematic, but don't want to spend "a lot" (not over $150?). Want dependable & simple. I assume all are lightweight or small.

Have no home computer nor do I want one. Would use the super one at work & its great color printer or drugstore printer.

Please, those of you with the gorgeously colored closeups of your blooms, please advise me! Thanks!

Comments (8)

• solstice98
    18 years ago

Go to eBay and bid up to your limit ($150) on those offerings with the most megapixels. Bid more if they offer additional lenses or memory sticks.
    I take pretty good pictures with 2.1 mpixels. Jetstream takes fabulous photos with something like 8 mpixels.
    Buy the best camera you can afford and you won't be disappointed, but you should be able to get a very good (used) camera for under $75.
    If you want the best new camera, be prepared to spend $800-1200 on a Nikon D70.

• solstice98
    18 years ago

Several Nikon Coolpix 4100 4.0 megapixel digital cameras on eBay going for $80-$150. This would be a great camera for the garden because it can handle closeups so well.

• wanna_run_faster
    18 years ago

Irma,

Since you do not have a home computer, you might want to look into a camera that prints directly to it's own little cradle / printer. Consumer Reports has an article this month on the best ones for various purposes. If you don't have access to Consumer Reports and want to see the article I could either fax or email it to you.

But generally, for your purpose, just wanting the best basic camera with printing option without a computer...I think the Kodak one was highly rated. I suggest going to Best Buy, they usually have the best prices and will price match legitimate ads, and you can easily exchange in case of defect.

• Bren2
    18 years ago

I have a Kodak DX7440. 4MP Ilove it. I also have the printer dock. I don't think you really need the higher megapixels unless you are a pro. It's pretty neat to be able to print out your own good quality photos at the touch of a button. Circuit City is where I got it. It has a lot on it and I am still learning how to use it. Kodak has a good back up team.

• solstice98
    18 years ago

Irma, what did you decide on? I still like the Nikons but have seen two recent reviews of Sonys that were very complimentary.

• Irma_StPete
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I put that purchase on the back burner, but am thinking about it again. Thanks for your helpful suggestions. Are there any more out there?

• julieyankfan
    18 years ago

I have a 35mm Canon AE1 program that is 22 yrs. old and still takes a better picture than any digital I have seen. Granted I am drooling over the Canon digital that goes for $1,000, but since I don't have that to spend, I'm sticking with my old 35mm and using my camera phone for any pics I just want to send to friends. My neighbor has a cheap 35 mm that takes better pics than his new 4 mp digital. I've been a bit of a camera buff for yrs. and I don't think the digitals have the quality of the 35mm unless you go into the higher price range.

What does anyone else think?

• pllove
    18 years ago

I am madder than a wet settin' hen !I have been wanting to learn how to take pictures and post and send them! So..he goes out and buys a little digital..that only takes 8 pictures ?...fugifilm A345?....I need someone to show me how to take pictures and post and send them...AND go shopping to get a chippie thing that holds more than 8 pictures?.....before i hurt this...Man O mine ! Peggy

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County