Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katkin_gw

Play Date #2

katkin_gw
16 years ago

Grow, I think the one I have is called Green Mt. I might have gotten something from you last year, but not this patch, I have had it for several years.;o)

Comments (149)

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Hey Cindee,
    Those look so darn healthy. All the ones I ever see around here look like crap. I was embarrasssed to bring the ones I did to Ricky's BUT I had a hunch they would grow into much more attractive plants, and mine have anyways, I did keep a few.

These look like crap too, but did the moment I took em. I hope all these brom-heads can see through the yukiness and know that they will grow into something more attractive with proper placement and care.

So, Dennis driving you ?

• cindeea
    16 years ago

So sorry, Tony, he has two projects he is working on this weekend, and I don't dare ask him. He has got more to do on my cousin's chaise and we have been fighting a moisture backup in our A/C unit. They ran the drain pipes like a puzzle and we think there is no screen, thus causing dirt and lizard clogs. So he is going to be replacing the pipes...come to Fort Myers!

• ariel73
    16 years ago

Fawnridge, I am not able to attend this swap, but was wondering if you have any extra of those bromeliads-Achmea blanchettiana, I would love to have one. I am trying to talk Tony into bringing one back for me if he has room. I would be glad to ship smething to you in exchange.
    Thanks,
    Ariel

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

Ariel - I counted five pups at a fast glance this morning. There are probably another ten I could cut, just to keep this plant from over-running the lawn. I'll cut as many as possible and split them amongst whomever wishes them.

• tropicalfreak
    16 years ago

Did someone say Shaving Brush Tree??

Did I hear Cashew Tree??

Someone needs a home for a Robo. Palm??

Cindee,

You too good for a Limo or Lear Jet?? : ) Was really looking forward to seeing you again. : (

Those greedy insurance people. Don't they know someone with a "Heart of Gold" needs her hips fixed NOW so she can spread more love....

Tropicalfreak

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Awww, Cliff, that is so sweet of you. Brought tears to my eyes. Love ya buddy!

• coffeemom
    16 years ago

Ricky, I would love a pup.
    Did you want to try a croton cutting or wrong time of year?

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

Sure, I'll take a croton cutting. This is the perfect time of the year.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

If anyone wants my drunken fruit recipe to take to Froggy's let me know! It is very easy. However, I will not be responsible.........

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Ariel,

Make the deal and I will haul it home. My only request is that its NOT huge. Teensy car.

Let me know who what where etc.

Tony

• nytrinigemini
    16 years ago

Treefrog...I need your address please :-)And also to know what time you want us.

• growgrow
    16 years ago

That's a good point, Michele!
    So, Treefrog, what time do you want us? ;-)
    Veronika

• tropicalfreak
    16 years ago

Anybody have Queen's Wreath??

Tropicalfreak

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

I'll be here all day.
    I know most swaps start at 10.
    Playdates start at??
    Is 10 good?

There is some shade here and there around the yard, but those who have your own canopies may want to bring them, with your chairs and stuff. You all know the drill.

Nobody's going hungry!
    Here's what I've tallied up:

Broccoli salad
    Potato salad
    Pasta salad
    Nopales (cactus) salad
    Deviled eggs
    Various fresh fruits
    Baba Ganoush and Eggplant Caponata
    Stuffed Chaya Leaves (veggie&rice)
    Smoked Turkey Breast
    Roast Beef
    Spiral Sliced Ham
    Shrimp w/cocktail sauce
    Thai chicken wings
    Saint Mary Beth's Buns
    Pesto Cheese Spread
    Pickles & condiments
    Lemon Meringue Pie
    Brownies?
    Various desserts
    Paper products, cups, plates and utensils are covered

Am I missing anything? Can you think of anything else we might want? Chips & salsa? Crackers for the dips & spreads?
    Someone want to bring a cooler of ice, water, libation?
    I will make a carambola pineapple punch. (you supply the rum if wanted).
    There will be lemons, limes & miracle fruit.

Sounds like a Playdate to me!
    Looking forward to seeing you all!

Treefrog

• tropicalfreak
    16 years ago

Can't wait to try the fruits and juices.

What time is Kat wanting visitor's?

Loquat seedling anyone? Looking for one.

Tropcialfreak

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

I'm confused; are we going to Treefrog's, Kat's or both?

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Here here... I have some loquats, I will bring em.

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Cliff try emailing Kat she's got alot going on this week.

BTW, I have Queens Wreath but, she is very very pale. So, I'd rather not share until she greens up.

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Kat has a wonderful yard! Full of plants that butterflies, birds and wildlife love. And she's always eager to share them.
    She lives about 10 minutes south of me.
    When we talked on Monday we realized that many folks didn't want to visit two places on the same day, but she would still like people to come by in the morning before coming here if anybody wants to.
    Originally we talked about morning there, afternoon/evening here. Since then this has evolved into a full fledged playswapdate, so I've invited everyone to come whenever, set up, get comfortable and Have a Good Time.

Kat? I know you've been busy. Are you checking in here?
    What do you think?

• gcmastiffs
    16 years ago

I'll bring coolers with ice, sodas, water, and teas. Also Rum, and Malbec Wine, and maybe Tequila if anyone likes it.

I have crackers too, will bring plenty.

If there are enough Tomatoes, I'll make my fresh Salsa.

This sound like an awful lot of FUN!!

Treefrog, may I bring Champion "Preston" with me? He is very well-behaved. If anyone is afraid of large dogs, I'll leave him at home.. He will try to trade a stuffed toy for food-very cute behavior in an 150 lb dog(G).

Lisa

• nytrinigemini
    16 years ago

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I am so excited....plants, food and dogs :-) This is going to be so much fun...Lisa I can't wait to meet your Preston.....

• ariel73
    16 years ago

Tony, thanks so much!! The Brom shouldn't be big since it is a pup. Thanks again, I owe you!

Ariel

• butterflygardener
    16 years ago

Hi again, boy miss a few days on here and I am lost. If anyone is interested in stopping by on the way, I have firespike, cannas, crinums, salvia coccinea, and many other plants to share. I just don't want to get into a lot of digging if no one is interested. It is easier, I think, if you see what they are b-4 I pop them out of the ground. Also It is easier for you to stick them in a black plastic bag or byob (bring your own bucket) LOL! E-mail me if you want to stop by. mom of cfr at aol dot com
    no spaces and the rest is self explanitory.
    See ya soon!
    Kat

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Kat,

I am interested and plan on stopping at your place first.

Then I guess I need to go to Treefrogs to unload car and come back from the plants you mentioned OR maybe go to TF's first and then come see you......

decisions decisions.......... Yes, I would like and could sure use some butterfly plants if you can spare em.

Thanks
    Tony

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

Kat - I'd like to see your garden as well. We could stop there early (9am or 9:30?) and then head up to Treefrog's. We should all remember it's going to be hot this weekend, so early is best.

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

There was mention somewhere in all these messages about a sweet olive seedling? If someone has one not accounted for perhaps we could work something out.

Thanks
    Tony

• JoanM
    16 years ago

I need directions. Treefrog, did you see an email from a skydivejem? I tried to string your email address together from the clues. I hope I got it right. Remove the underscore and replace the at with an @ right?

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Joan, I didn't get it. Keep the underscore in.
    Actually my e-mail address is listed on my member page.

Lisa, Champion "Preston" is welcome as long as he doesn't eat Skipper or small children. And everyone else is Ok with it too.

My house is small, but air conditioned, so don't worry about the heat. There are shade trees, but they haven't been doing me much good this week with the heat index well over 100.
    Maybe we'll luck out with some cloud cover and a breeze on Sunday.

• growgrow
    16 years ago

I am little left out, my computer is totally gone, so I have hard time getting on line....
    I have not made my contribution to the food bank yet, what can I bring? Food, or drinks, beer, wine??? What are you missing, Treefrog?
    Lisa, my son is fine with dogs (we have 75lb chocolate lab), he would be thrilled to see even a bigger dog. :-)
    Kat, I would also love to see your garden. Could you please send me directions to my email. I have lost all the email addresses, and everything else along...Bummer
    Looking forward to Sunday!!!
    Veronika

• growgrow
    16 years ago

Treefrog,
    I have just accessed my email from another computer, and it looks like I have lost your email with the directions, could you please resend it to me again. I will print it from another computer. I really apologize.
    Thanks Veronika

• butterflygardener
    16 years ago

I have sent my address to Tony, Ricky, Cliff and Veronica. Michelle, I sent you an e-mail please e-mail me back for directions. Also anyone else interested in stopping by please send me an e-mail.
    I am planning on 10AM.
    Kat

• nytrinigemini
    16 years ago

Is anyone interested in mango seedlings or should I just leave them home? Unnamed mango.

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

T .Freak.........

did I read right ?
    do you want the phoenix roebelenii?
    It is small , but if you buy two more you will have yourself a threesome !

• tropicalfreak
    16 years ago

Michele,

Do Mangos grow pretty fast??
    I might be interested.

D'Ann,

Yes, I'll give the Robo a home. I like the singles.

Thanks.

Cliff

• nytrinigemini
    16 years ago

Hi Cliff I have no idea how fast mango grow.....my garden in only a year old now :-) My mango tree was already big when I've seen it....however my dad planted one from seed about a year ago and its about 3 feet tall already...he swears he will get fruit from it next year....

• growgrow
    16 years ago

All this mango talk going on gave me an idea:
    I am going to bring to the play date all different types of mangos from the Zills, so we can do that mango tasting we have been talking about for awhile!
    Veronika

• msmarion
    16 years ago

What a great idea Veronika! I had my first mango at Treefrog's the other day. Yummy.

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Veronika, thats a fine idea, hope you can pull it off. I have always been reluctant to grow just ANY mango especially without at least trying it.

I do have one growing which is about 6 inches tall and always wonder if this one is worth it or not. I dont know the name of it other than PUBLIX.

Thanks
    Tony

• gcmastiffs
    16 years ago

Too funny Veronika! I bought 10 pounds of different varieties of Mangos at Excalibur today, to bring to the Playdate. Between the two of us, there should be lots of yummy fruit to sample! I also got Canistel and SueBelle White Sapote.

The mangoes from Zills are superb!

Now, "ripen, ripen, ripen!"

Lisa

• nytrinigemini
    16 years ago

I have the same fear with mangos...not knowing if its even worth it...the tree we have outside right now has only given us a couple of fruits this year it was in shock from the last hurrican season when it was broken in half...anyway the point is that so far the fruit has not been worth it...I dont know if I was just too impatient and picked them too soon ...maybe i should have let it ripen on the tree,,,,it was a very light flavor and I guess I'm just used to mango in trinidad which is so sweet....I felt as if my fruit was watered down...and then growing them from seed you dont know what the fruit will actually taste like right because seeds arent necessarly true to the mother plant?

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Wasn't it Marie Antonette that said "Let them eat mangos". hehe

• JoanM
    16 years ago

Treefrog, I guess I must be screwing up the email address. Can you send me directions please to Joan2010ATaolDOTcom just replace the AT and the DOT.

Thanks

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

Cliff,
    the p robo is yours.......... I just looked at it.

You might have to monitor it for weeds..........

It was a volunteer in our yard. Steve dug it up and out it in a pot, Just needs some luv-in

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

I've sent directions to everybody who requested them.
    Did everybody get them?

• ginibee
    16 years ago

Would anyone be interested in cuttings (not rooted) of Juanulloa aurantiaca. Mine desparate needs pruning. I love the unusual blooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bloom

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Ginny
    Orange is my favorite color.
    It would be pretty in my succulent & epiphyte area.

• ginibee
    16 years ago

Cliff, I'll add it to your pink crinum.

• nytrinigemini
    16 years ago

Ginny,

I would love a piece of the Juanulloa aurantiaca. It is so pretty :-)

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

ginibee, count me in on that vining orange plant too please (if you can)

thanks
    Tony

• ginibee
    16 years ago

Whoops!! My above reply should have been to treefrog - got my TFs mixed up.

nytrini and Tony - will bring lots.

Ginny