Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maureen155

Very sick pup

maureen155
17 years ago

My puppy Iris (actually 2 years old, but still a pup to me) was diagnosed yesterday with steroid responsive meningitis. Has anyone else here ever had a dog develop this?

I was so frightened when we went to the vet yesterday. She was not able to walk because her legs kept going out from under her and she was obviously confused and terrified. They did x-rays and blood work and came up with this diagnosis. The vet was fantastic. The treatment is high dose prednisone for 5 days, then every other day for a couple of weeks. She does seem a bit better this morning, and is ambulating some, but is very tired.

A picture of little Iris:

Comments (10)

• lyam
    17 years ago

I hope your little doggy gets better Maureen! That's a cute picture.

Tim

• pllove
    17 years ago

Oh Maureen, I'm sorry little Iris, isn't feeling well!Sounds like the vet has a handle on things though..and that should be a relief.I have several pets and when one gets ill or injured..it throws me for a loop!Have you researched this illness & diagnosis and treatment up on the web yet ?Hope Iris and you get to feeling better soon!....she is a very beautiful pup. Hope you hear from others on this forum, that may know more about this particular illness.I'm sure it freightned the both of you. Peggy

• maureen155
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tim & Peggy -

Thanks for your kindness. Little Iris seems to be getting progressively better today. She is able to walk around a bit and is eating well. Her big brother (my older bichon Willie) won't leave her side, which is very comforting to her. I'll keep you posted on her progress.

Maureen

• solstice98
    17 years ago

Maureen,
    I'm so sorry to hear about Iris. I don't have any experience with this illness, but I've had a dog on prednisone before so here's something you might be on the lookout for: the drug can cause auditory hallucinations. If Iris becomes irritated or frightened, it may be because she is hearing noises that aren't really there. Or that the noises you are hearing are amplified for her.
    Hope all is well soon,
    Kate

• minibim
    17 years ago

At least a quick Google search seems to indicate that the outcome with the steroid treatment is positive, so that is certainly good news.

It's always scary when our pets don't feel well and can't talk to tell us what's wrong.

• maureen155
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kate -

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for the auditory hallucinations. So far, Iris is quite groggy and sleeping a lot, and doesn't seem to be experiencing that. However, if I don't get some sleep soon, I may :)

Minibim -

Thank you for taking the time to do a google search. I've also researched this a bit and feel confident that the vet is on the right track. My only real concern, other than this very unhappy pup I have here, is that he did say that the condition may recur. But at this point I'm just grateful that she's recovering and will worry about whatever happens when it happens.

Maureen

• julieyankfan
    17 years ago

Oh Maureen, I was so glad to hear that she's doing better. I'll put in a prayer to St. Francis for her. He always seemed to pull my dog, Muffin, through with all her ailments.

Julie

• solstice98
    17 years ago

Julie - thank you for reminding me about St. Francis. As a child he was one of my favorites saints (along with St. Anthony because I was always losing things!), but it's been a while. This week I've been watching my very elderly cat slowly fade and I know she won't still be with me by this weekend. She's had a great life and I've told myself it's just her time to go, but after 18 years it's hard to let go. Now that you've reminded me, I'm going to go sit with her and talk with St. Francis for a while. I think he'll make this passing easier on both of us. You deserve a big hug for this one. Thank you, from me and from dear old Roxy.
    Kate

• maureen155
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kate -

I'm sorry to hear about Roxy. These little guys so enrich our lives and it's hard to understand why we are only given such a short time with them. Just love her, Kate. It's all you can do and all she needs.

Iris is much better today - blitzing around the house, playing with her "giggle bear" toy that she loves so. She still tires easily and is still on medication, but it certainly looks as if the worst of this is behind us. When she was naughty today (digging up the garden), I just couldn't help but pick her up and hug her. I'm so glad she's better.

I talk with St. Francis too. Thanks Julie!

Maureen

• butterflygardener
    17 years ago

Maureen, Glad Iris is improving. It is so difficult to see our loved ones suffer.
    Kat

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?