Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thonotorose

Regarding feral cats

thonotorose
15 years ago

Thanks to all on the other list. I had felt that I would reply to the mention of feral cats on a thread about something else, but, after some reflection, I then thought a separate thread would be more effective in educating others about this issue and the solutions that are in place to remedy it somewhat.

Regards,

Veronica

Comments (8)

• gatormomx2
    15 years ago

Not sure what you had in mind . I can only relate my own personal experiences .
    Just this week adopted two kittens - from different litters . Both mothers were feral , spayed and then released .
    The kittens are highly affectionate and adorable and you would never know that they came from a feral background .
    The kittens came from a rescue group and best of all - they were plug and play = neutered , all shots for a year and chipped . What a deal !
    Lots of good people out there doing lots of good work .

• solstice98
    15 years ago

All three of my cats came from feral litters. The mothers were captured, they had the kittens, then were spayed and released back to the colony when the kittens were weaned. I couldn't ask for nicer, friendlier babies. (Wish I could have taken the mothers too but they were all pretty wild.) Like gatormom says, all three came to me spayed or neutered and with all shots. One of them was going to be released back to the feral colony because he and his sister hadn't been adopted so his ear is clipped. Usually I don't even notice the clip, but when I do I get a little emotional thinking how close he was to a really hard life and most likely a very early death.

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

Thank you for all the nice words towards rescue groups and for all the appreciation of the hard work we do!
    I do TNR and feral kitten socializing..it is a lot of work! But it needs to be done, as nothing but TNR seems to work...
    Right now, I am fostering a whole lot of kittens:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/OlyaGrove/KittensJuly2008
    and every single one of these kittens came from feral cat colonies...

I do have a few clipped ear cats in my house...
    Olya

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Adorable! The 2 black&whites are precious and the tabby with the Egyptian eyes is beautiful. With 3 cats and 2 dogs in my house I don't have room for more, but I wish I did!

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

Thank you :)
    Tabby with Egyptian eyes - that is a good description
    Are you talking about this baby?
    {{gwi:758138}}

Olya

• solstice98
    15 years ago

That's the one!

• barbcoleus
    15 years ago

I have to put in a plug for the cat club I was a charter member of-Platinum Coast Cat Fanciers. Yes some of us breed cats but we just had a show where nine rescue groups from the Lee/Collier county were invited. Most of the groups had been invited to the shows before so they were very eager to participate again. Areas were assigned to them to bring in and showcase their cats for adoption. THese areas were right inside the entrance so the gate had to go past them to see show cats. They weren't assigned to some dark corner nobody noticed. Some of the cats were entered in the Household Pet Division. The top winner was adopted as was quite a few others. I've been to other cat shows where there is no rescue group. I wish I had seen this post before so I could invite you folks to this event. I was really proud of this group.

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

It is nice of the cat club to invite and promote rescue group and adoptions...very nice
    Yet, no convincing in the world will ever change my mind on buying and breeding, while I am seeing the suffering and know how many animals are put down every day. Yes, when responsibly done, I understand breed specific groups reasoning...I just hope that most animals that are sold are spayed or neutered
    I guess I do not know much about the cat fanciers world....All I know I have 10+ fosters in the house, some black cats that no one wants...A feral cat that needs a leg amputated, and another semi feral who cannot walk straight after being hit by car/person in the head..
    I trapped 7 cats with my two cat buddies last night, for TNR, and found two abandoned babies...while searching for a nursing mom, Animal Services volunteer emailed me asking me to get one of theirs out...as there are so many of them, with babies, "scheduled for euthanasia" . I hate reading these lines, I hate thinking I cannot save every cat. No one can.
    Such is one day from a life of an animal rescue person; every day is something different. For every cat we adopt out, we have 10 lined up needing help...
    I hope more and more people are fixing their animals, consider adoption and do find a place in their house and in their heart for a black kitten!

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional