Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tony_k_orlando

Trying this out, sent for free 30 day trial today

tony_k_orlando
15 years ago

We dont use the fone a whole lot BUT there are times I feel its real important to have a home fone as well as a cell fone or some other option too.

I have tried other systems before and while they worked great, We had a need to send faxes at times and our tivo like recorder needed to dial out nightly also. The other systems couldnt provide a connection good enough for these items to work reliably, but they worked excellent for fone use.

The cost on this one is VERY LOW, and our needs have changed.

I should have this up and working in about a week.

I know there are some 'downsides' to everything but when you dont use something, as in our landline phone much if ever, why continue to pay the high costs?

Plus, with free long distance, I can call for monkey chow till I cant do it any more !

Check it out.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Check it out CHECK IT OUT !

Comments (13)

• jupiterplants
    15 years ago

Tony , let us know how this turns out.

My sister went with vontage for our mom a while back...... she sounded very " tin" ee when she talked , like she was up against foil or something. We kept asking her to repeat herself.

She got rid of it. You get to keep you old number with this , right ?

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi D'Ann.....

the answer to your question, the answer is Not YET and Yes. The company says, we WILL have the ability to port our current # over to the new system, however, NOT YET.

In our case, most calls now come into the cell fones which are calls we use, unlike the home fone, in which most are seeming sales calls or at the most, reminders for appointments.

If this fone system is horrible, out it will go, yet, what can one expect for 19.95 per YEAR? So I sound a bit tinny, my fatter wallet feels better. With my almost useless hearing, I am guessing I may not be able to tell the difference.

Letcha know

Tony

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Unreal ! I got the unit today and I DID NOT pay for any speedy delivery.

I have had TWO other internet fone systems that I tried before and I have to say THIS is the most simple to put in.

Just plug it into the USB port of your computer and wait a second and it walks you through the rest of the setup.

It took about 4 minutes.

So far so good. The ONLY possible problem that I personally may have is with my captioning fone that I use if I have to make an important call. My hearing is sooo blitzed, the captioning fone is ideal, BUT it didnt work on the last two systems and we had forgotten all about that fone when I ordered this a couple days ago.

I should know soon if the captioned fone will work or not.

D'Ann, if you want a test call, email me your # and see if its like the one your mom had.

Later
    tony

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, its going back ONLY because it does not support my captioning fone, no other reason.

The return process is very simple and straightforward.

Its probably a great deal for someone without anything like a fax, a tivo that dials out to get programming or special needs fones.

Its going back tomorrow.

• jupiterplants
    15 years ago

Tony, sorry it didn`t work out .

After having (and needing ) a cell phone..... then having ( and needing ) the internet service,

some times having a home phone doesn`t seem worth it. But then , I have a fax !

Most of my home calls are telemarketers , even though I signed up on the do not call registry.

I also turned off all the ringers except the one in the computer room. I don`t give out my house number anymore.....

Steve is up at 4 AM and in bed by 8 PM .

Telemarketers call up to 9 pm :( and wake him up !

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My neighbor used to get a lot of telemarketer calls too. I wouldnt have thought it would work however he got one of them tele-zappers off of ebay and says rarely does he get a call anymore.

The whole deal sounded good on paper. 30$/month now vs 19 and change for the YEAR. Even if it sounded crappy, my wallet would have been happier.

Gonna pack it up and ship it back later today.

Its pretty darn good and simple, just not for me. (sobbing)

• gatormomx2
    15 years ago

Magic Jack is the product featured on Orlando t.v. news this morning .
    A woman ordered this product and returned it . NO money came back . Her bill showed almost $500 charged . No resolution to her problems .
    The BBB has 300 complaints filed against this company .
    When it sounds too good to be true ...........

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hope I am not # 301 !

I used a one time use credit card # which helps.

Will letcha know if I end up with troubles or not. Sure hope the return process is as smooth as the install was.

It was cool, too bad I had to return it.

• gatormomx2
    15 years ago

If you are one of the lucky ones , you could be a news story all by yourself !
    Keeping fingers crossed for you ...

• junkyardgirl
    15 years ago

This has been proven to be a rip-off. Beware of things that sound too good to be true.

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess I should provide a lil update.

I tried it, it worked great as a phone. A lot of features and VERY simple to install. Sounded good to me.

I returned it because I have a fax machine which I use every once in a while and also some gadget that records pgms thats needs to dial out nitely to get the latest schedules. THESE devices DID NOT work on the Magic Jack, but phone calls in and out worked excellent.

I returned the device within the 30 day free trial and they acknowledged that they had received it back and there were no charges to my credit card at all.

Maybe I am one of the lucky ones, maybe there are MANY lucky ones out there and we only hear about the losers?

If someone needed inexpensive unlimited fone service, MagicJack may be for them, yet, I would hesitate to hesitate to suggest it because I am not sure they could /would follow the guidelines in the magic jack offer and feel they got screwed by them when in fact they actually screwed themselves.

Too bad I couldnt have used it, it is definitely a money saver.

• coffeemom
    15 years ago

I saw this for sale on QVC and thot of you, Tony.

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Coffeemom, it does my heart good to be thot of EVEN IF the stimulus is QVC.

Your kid needs one of these when he is away at school!