Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coffeemom_gw

The amazing shrink ray...

coffeemom
15 years ago

strikes again!

I first noticed my Dial soap was molded as to fit in the same wrapper but was in fact considerably less.

Yesterday I bought Breyer's ice cream on sale at Publix. Some sale. You get 1 and 1/2 quarts instead of the half gallon you used to get.

Humbug!

Of course if you're as old as me, you remember when you used to be able to buy a 1 lb can of coffee instead of 13 oz brick.

Comments (12)

• mistiaggie
    15 years ago

Oh yeah i've noticed all sorts of size changes. And things stay the same price or more. GRR!

• naplesgardener
    15 years ago

Breyers ice cream is a BIG issue with me. I remember being able to buy a quart size and that was all that I needed to get a butterfat high. lol. now they don't make the quart size, they make a pseudo-gallon and have so much air in it you don't get that buzz at all no matter HOW much you consume.

I think there should be a congressional investigation. I mean there aren't that many legal ways to get high. We want our sugar-fat buzz back. Give it to me and nobody gets hurt. (Well except me when I weigh in at the Publix)

Denise
    who just purchased an ice cream maker

• coffeemom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just hope Publix ice cream doesn't follow suit and shrink as well.
    Denise, if money was no object, I'd be driven to Cold Stone every night after dinner. One of my daughter's friends works there and told her they pour this huge vat of lard(butterfat) into the ice cream mix....like this is a bad thing.

SHRINK ray alert: Tropicana OJ has a new pour spout and shrunk a size.

• tropicalfreak
    15 years ago

Cereal;s are another victim of the shrink ray. Bah Hum Bug. It's a marketing ploy so you will have to buy more from them through out the year.

Furniture polish spray cans are smaller too.

• tropicalfreak
    15 years ago

...but I always liked how you could buy Coke in those 6 packs...in bottles. Then take them back to the store for a deposit on your next 6 pack. ..and the vending machines that had the little bottles of Coke and Nehi Grape and Peach and Orange Crush. ...Those were the days.

Tropcialfreak

• junkyardgirl
    15 years ago

The first time I experienced this was way back in the 70's with M&M's. There were large words exclaiming "New! Larger package! There just happened to be a regular package still on the shelf, so I looked at it, and yes, it was smaller, but it had an ounce more candy in it.

There was a big stink over this at the time, because someone threatened to sue them for deceptive advertising.

I noticed just the other day that my box of zipper bags (store brand) had 4 fewer bags than it used to. I'm ready to go back to aluminum foil and wax paper. Worked for my mom, and it will work for me! I mean, really, with frost free refrigerators, what are we protecting this stuff against?

• natives_and_veggies
    15 years ago

Have you noticed all the Coke billboards around? They're advertising this great new Coke bottle for just 99 cents. Funny thing is, it's 16 oz, and the old 20 oz Coke was a dollar in most machines and only $1.25 at most convenient stores... My math says that should be 93 cents at the most for a 16 oz.

• julieyankfan
    15 years ago

Try Blue Bell ice cream. They advertise that they are still 1/2 gal, and my DH says it's good stuff! Breyers taste like ice milk, not ice cream. Dairy Queen switched to ice milk years ago and yet they want over $3 for a small blizzard.

How about the potato chip bags? You open it up and there's less than 1/2 a bag of chips.

One good thing to note, Post finally went back to making Alpha Bits like they used to. They screwed around with them for years and they were horrible, then they disappeared from the shelves, but a couple of weeks ago, I noticed they were back and said "new" on the box. I bought a box and was in cereal heaven. They taste like they always did, not new.

Junkyardgirl, I've been taking a straw and just sucking the extra air out of the ziploc bags and you get an airtight seal without paying a fortune for one of those seal machines.

Julie

• scents_from_heaven
    15 years ago

For my ice cream fix it is Godiva, Dove or Ben and Jerrys. Bryers went out the door when the hald gallon container shrunk. The shrink ray hit the large hanburgers at most fast food places. A large or whopper size used to be that HUGE now the bun is the size the small bun used to be. Laindty detergent bottles shrunk before they went to the concentrated size. Oh lots of things have shrunk and then the prices icreased. Linda

• katkin_gw
    15 years ago

Dog food too. The bag got smaller, but the price stayed the same --- for awhile, then it went up. Like we are all so stupid we wouldn't notice.

• coffeemom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Right Linda. Remember when Burger Kings slogan was "it takes 2 hands to hold a Whopper"?

Tide is coming out with a new formula. I'll be on the lookout for a smaller bottle or price increase.

• tropicalfreak
    15 years ago

Anyone building a time machine so we can go back to, "back-in-the-day"?? lol
    I would be happy to relive my childhood years again. lol Those were the days.

Tropicalfreak