Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ariel73

Tampa get together

ariel73
16 years ago

Some of us in the Tampa bay area would love to have a get together. We are still trying to pick a day and place.

Anyone who would like to come is invited. I am also going to start a thread on the conversation page. I just posted here fisrt to let everyone know, since the conversation page isn't always very busy.

Comments (68)

• solstice98
    16 years ago

Yes, I'm still planning on Oct 20th, but I would like to get to the Tampa swap too. I always want to see another gardener's yard and it would be fun the meet more of the Tampa group.
    Evelyn, maybe we can carpool.
    Kate

• AmberSky
    16 years ago

Tmarie, yes it's open to anyone. Come meet people, you will find that the best thing about a swap is having people to babble about plants to.

• smittee
    16 years ago

I would love September or October Tampa is only an hour from me ...

• solstice98
    16 years ago

Smittee, we are already planning a swap in Orlando on Oct 20th so I'm hoping this Tampa swap is closer to the beginning Sept or the very end of August. Spacing them out a bit gives us time to start more cuttings in between.
    Kate

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

What about Sept 15 or 16th, third weekend of September?

I would love to have the swap in September, to get the cuttings going

Olya

• Martina DeLuca
    16 years ago

I would love to join in. Will have lots of Aroids potted up and ready to go.

• mboston_gw
    16 years ago

Anyone going from LAKELAND? I can pay gas cost, just don't drive 1-4.

• tampaart
    16 years ago

I think it should be (from my schedule) September 1st at my home on Davis Islands. Let's take a vote - all in favor say AYE!

• ariel73
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Aye!
    Now I will start checking for what else I have to trade.
    Will post soon.
    Ariel

• Irma_StPete
    16 years ago

Aye, Art! Saturday, September 1. Thank you for hosting.

• AmberSky
    16 years ago

September 1st (Saturday) sounds great, though if we can push it to September 2nd (Sunday) , Robin (Lady) could be there, and I promise, that will be worth it. She has the greatest plants!

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

I would love to come to the swap. In my humble opinion who ever hosts it should set the date. If I can make it on that specific date, great, if not, I will visit with my gardenweb friends on one of the other swap dates. simple as that.

Evelyn
    (waits patiently for the final swap day announcement)

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

Aye! Either Sept 1 or Sept 2

Should we start a separate thread with HAVEs and WANTs?

Olya

• ariel73
    Original Author
    16 years ago

September 2nd is Cindees swap

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

Then, Sept 1 is great, as according to the host :)

• AmberSky
    16 years ago

That it is. Drats, I was hoping to do both...plus the Orlando swap as well.

(Junky, I know!)

• ariel73
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am starting to put together a "swap album" so people can see what I have available.
    They are not pictures of the actual plant I will trade , but what it looks like in my garden. I have cuttings of these plants already rooted. If you are interested in a ginger please let me know because I am not going to pot them up unless someone wants it. it I have at least 1 trade of each of these plants. If there is more interest in a certain plant please let me know so that I can try to root some more. If there is a plant you know I have and it is not in my swap album, please let me know and I will TRY to see if I can root/divide it for you.
    I am still adding to my albulm, so be sure to check it occasionally.
    Also I have about 10-15 different coleus cuttings that I have already rooted but I don't know their names so I don't have them individually posted
    Ariel

Here is a link that might be useful: plant swap album

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

Ariel, you said it perfectly!
    I have my swap album started, but also, I won't dig up parts and pieces unless someone wants it.

Evelyn

Here is a link that might be useful: click and go to exchange/wishlist albums

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

I started a similar album as well - will post the link soon :)

• laura1
    16 years ago

I've been lurking a lot lately! (sorry) By Sept 1 we should be all moved (closed on house today). But I don't know what kind of shape my new yard will be in, what I'll have to trade or what I'll want to trade for!! I'm marking Sept 1 on the calendar so ya gotta have it on that date-hehe. I'll come just for the social!
    Laura

• butterflygardener
    16 years ago

Oh man! I was hoping to make it to this swap as I never have met you in person Ariel. I have plants from you that are doing great! But, this is the weekend for Cindeea's swap. Waaaaaaahhhhh!
    Kat

• springtime_fl
    16 years ago

Oh well, I will not be able to make it that weekend. I have a 3 day convention that weekend.

Gabriele

• kgardens
    16 years ago

I'm new here and I would love to come to this swap on 9/1. I have some herbs and coleus as well as a few succulents I can bring. I don't have a lot because I just started working in my garden this year. I hope that's OK. I will try to get some purple firespike started too. Hopefully, there will be enough time. I would just like to meet all of you helpful people. I've been lurking and learning a great deal. Should I plan to bring some food? Kay

• Lady
    16 years ago

I really wanted to come up to this but it is the same weekend as Cindee's and I am helping her and expect friends to spend the night Sat.

Evelyn any way I could trade your vanda terete diana for vanilla orchid or something else? Maybe I can talk Amber or Ariel into transporting since they are coming here the Sunday the 2nd.

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

yes Lady, that would be great if it would work out to trade. The Diana is fairly small, the cutting wouldn't be big, maybe you want to wait until a swap in spring time?

Evelyn

• AmberSky
    16 years ago

I can play transportation wench.

• tampaart
    16 years ago

So ladies and gents, what's a good time to have this shindig? 9:00 am too early - 11:00 am too late? You tell me (early rises) so it doesn't matter either way. I'll bring some folding tables from work and set them up in the backyard...signage maybe (easy directions - honest). I've started some key lime seeds, clipped some Brunfelsia, started to clean up the backyard, etc!

• AmberSky
    16 years ago

This time of year, early is rather good, as it gets hot. I'd vote to split the difference on your time and go for 10 am?

• jardinerafloridana
    16 years ago

AYE - I was away on vacation and was affraid you had this swap already. I was so happy when I read the date was September. 9:00 is fine or whatever time you say. I am so glad to be able to go to a swap in this neck of the woods. Tampa is only about 1 hour away. Thank you, thank you, hugs, hugs to everyone. LOL (can you tell I am happy?)
    Jardinera

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

10 - 11 :)
    I need to feed the cats, scoop the poo and water vandas in the morning

Thank you
    Olya

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

Olya, just set your alarm clock a little earlier ;-)

10 is fine for me, I just need to figure out when to get up.

Evelyn

• Lady
    16 years ago

Evelyn since Amber is willing I would love to swap. Did you want the vanilla or something different? I can send a big cutting with roots and don't mind if yours is small as long as it has roots.

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

Yes Lady, I would love a piece of the vanilla, I will bring a Diana for you and give it to your 'transportation wench' ;-)

Evelyn

• cindeea
    16 years ago

You guys are a riot! This is going to be one Swapping Huge weekend. Make sure you all share pics as we will share some from the Fort Myers gang, too!

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

Lady, here is a picture of the Vanda Terete 'Diana' I have started for you:

{{gwi:758631}}

Evelyn

• Lady
    16 years ago

Thanks Evelyn. I am so excited as I love my regular vanda teres. Your fruit in the back ground look so happy and healthy.

Transport wench I can show my appreciation with a cold glass of homemade sangria. I'm trying to wait patiently to see your trade list but its not easy.

• AmberSky
    16 years ago

Transport witches are no longer able to drink...or have caffeine...or chocolate (Whimper) or most fruit. (Sigh.)

I told my Dr that if she had taken away sex, my life would be over.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

LOL, Amber, I feel for ya babe. Some times life just plain sucks, don't it??

• smittee
    16 years ago

Ok ...I dont get to check this site real often and I really want to come with my two grandaughters. I scanned this conversation but didnt see where a date for either tampa or orlanda was set.
    Please PLEASE, WILL SOMEONE EMAIL ME and let me know when they are. I have waited a whole year to go to my first FLORIDA SWAP. I will be coming from Auburndale if anyone wants to CONVOY. yipeee I am excited!!!! I will crank my tens unit on high and off we will go. my emails ssmittees@yahoo.com or js4jc2day@hotmail.com Just put PLANT SWAP in the subject so I wont miss it. thank you !thank you! thank you! ,,,,in advance

• Lady
    16 years ago

Oh Amber I had hoped that the doctor wasn't still keeping all, or most, of the goodies away. FRUIT! Now don't that suck! I grew up thinking all fruit and veggies were good for you but now they say some have to much sugar or carbs. In ten years they will say water is bad for you and that we should be drinking martini's. OK a girl can hope.

• AmberSky
    16 years ago

Robin, I am willing to ignore my Dr on fruit that I personally grow. I figure it has extra good stuff in it, if it comes off of my trees.

Other than that, I sulk a lot. To add insult to injury, my hubby's dr told him to eat MORE fruit, so I have a house full of yummies that I can't eat.

And did someone e-mail Smittie with more info and dates?

• junglegal
    16 years ago

I'd like to attend this swap too. Has anyone posted their lists yet? I have a list on the fort myers swap thread. Only a couple things have been spoken for.

JG

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

I can't find your list Junglegal, where is the ft.myersswap thread??

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Evelyn it's on the Exchange page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here!

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

thanks marion, i never thought of looking at the exchange list. Too many lists to keep track of

Evelyn

• ariel73
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry I have not posted in a while, life has been very stressful and crazy the last few weeks for me. I won't bore you all with the details , but things are getting back to normal.

Anyways, I have added to my trading list and would love for you all to take another look. I would prefer to work out trades ahead of time since there are a couple of swaps going on. I don't want to bring all my plants to one swap and not have any for the other swaps.

Later I am going to try and list everyone I have trades with. If I missed your name please remind me, as I probably just missed it while trying to skim through all the trade threads.
    Thanks,
    Ariel

Here is a link that might be useful: plants for swap

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

We are looking forward to attending the upcoming Tampa swap. I made mention to family in Tampa yesterday that we are going to a swap in their area and while they never heard of one, they all, to our surprise seemed genuinely interested in attending too. Hope you all dont mind them attending. They have really nice well kept yards and will have various plants to share. We will be bringing various munchies too.

See ya then
    Tony

• tampaart
    16 years ago

If anyone isn't watching the other board, here is the address to my home:
    417 Chippewa Ave
    Tampa, FL 33606
    (Davis Islands)

Easy to find!

TampaArt

• ariel73
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am trying to list all my trades.
    Please take a look and make sure I am not missing something.

Naplesgardener,
    anise hyssop and "Flame" seedless grape
    for
    knockout rose
    Lady,
    rightia religiosa, coleus and edging
    for
    Begonia nelumbifolia
    Zingiber spectable yellow
    Variegated crinum
    and of course katuk

Cindeea
    mimosa and the unknown ground cover

Evelyn/Abendwolke
    salvia vanhoutteii

Oyla,
    I am interested in-
    Red epi. radicans
    Bamboo orchid - Arundina graminifolia
    Dwarf powderpuff seedlings
    For
    Hedychium 'Kewense'
    Pink watsonia
    African Foxgloves
    Ice cream bananas
    Salvia vanhouttei
    Talinum fruticosum

Do I have this right? If not, please let me know. I feel like I am for getting someone. Speak up, speak up.

I will also post this on the other swap, so please excuse the duplicate. I just want to make sure I have everyone.

I will also be bringing additional plants to the swap.

Ariel

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

Thanks Ariel, yes, I'd love to get a piece of your saliva vonhouttei. Let me know if there is a plant you'd like me to bring.

Here is what I have so far:

for Lady a vanda terete Diana cutting (Amber will take it to her) for a piece of her vanilla orchid

for Olya the violet, star grass, gloxinia, and blue eyed grass.

I have my list on the other post in this forum.

Evelyn

Here is a link that might be useful: for trade

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH