Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Mosaic Wall - yet another garden project...

solstice98
17 years ago

Lots of people saw this project in it's very early stage when they were here for the summer solstice swap. I hadn't done any work on it for 4 weeks but picked up the tiles this past weekend and put in several hours. I've decided to post pictures just to keep myself going on it. When I started I was thinking in terms of how many days it would take to finish it... now I'm thinking in terms of months! But I'm still excited about it and think it could be pretty cool when it's done.

It's a wall in my patio that originally had cabinets, a refrigerator and a JennAire that never worked, and a sink. We replaced the sink 8 years ago when we moved in and tore out the rest a couple years ago. It faces west so it catches late afternoon sun which makes the glass buttons sparkle.

The potting bench and 'garden stuff' cabinet found a home here after we took out the old rotting outdoor kitchen. Yes, it's almost always this messy so I'll be moving it to the other side of the lanai where it's not quite so visible all the time!

First I edged the area with teal colored tiles that match the tiles around the pool. Then I sketched out the spiral pattern directly onto the wall.

Gray tiles make up the bucket right under the sink connection. I used a real bucket handle from a kitty litter container.

After placing some of the glass buttons, I started breaking the white tiles and fitting them in. NOT a very fast process!

As of Sunday July 23rd. Lots done this weekend!

A detail of one of the spirals:

Comments (35)

• maureen155
    17 years ago

That wall is going to be incredible when you're finished.

• mistiaggie
    17 years ago

That's such an awesome idea! When I get a house one day I'll do it!

• lyam
    17 years ago

Very cool Kate. It's going to be a beauty.

Tim

• Bren2
    17 years ago

That is so cool! Can't wait to see the finished product!
    Brenda

• wanna_run_faster
    17 years ago

Kate,

That's incredible! You are a very talented artist! Have you done many mosaics?

• lyam
    17 years ago

I was just thinking about when we were over and I was so busy looking at the plants that I missed the wall until Kate said to excuse the mess LoL.

Tim

• wanda9fl
    17 years ago

I was just thinking of doing a mosaic and didn't know where to start.

You've inspired me! Yours is just beautiful!

Wanda

• Sylvia_marie
    17 years ago

Kate, that is looking way cool, I have never attempted to do a wall, just small stuff like stepping stones and small tables. I cant wait to see it finished. Are you using nippers to shape your white pieces?
    Sylvia

• solstice98
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Everyone! I like it too but it makes my back hurt so
    a little positive feedback is good motivation to keep going.
    This is the first and only mosaic I've ever done - except for a truly pitiful cat I did when I was 7 years old at some summer activity thing.
    I was initially inspired by the desk at the salon where I get my hair cut. Gary Lambert's place in Orlando used to have a great Starry Night (van Gogh) mosaic on the front of the salon's counter.
    I've seen wonderful mosaics done with little bits of broken pottery and dishware that I've liked but this swirly design is definitely 'me'. You know, the spiral is one of the oldest sun and solstice symbols so it fits, don't you think? The tattoo I've always planned to get around my ankle is very similar to this design - I drew it years ago and have carried it around ever since waiting to get the courage to have it done. When it came time for the wall, the spirals seemed perfect.

• solstice98
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry Sylvia - I was posting my message at the same time yours came through so i missed the question. I do use nippers once in a while but only on about 1 out of 20 tiles. I did the glass button spiral parts first, then the bucket. I'm placing mostly large pieces along the edges of the whole panel and along the button lines - it helps to define the edge. Then I put in any other big pieces and finally finish up a section with smaller bits. Mostly I'm lucky and can find something that fits. I keep a little hammer nearby and I'm getting pretty good at breaking off a hunk that's close to right. If the hammer fails me, then I turn to the nippers, but I'm not very good at it. Or maybe I just like the hammer better! What a stress reliever!

• carmiewest
    17 years ago

Kate,

That is soooo beautiful!!! You are very talented!!! I love every single thing!, the design, the tiles, the bucket. Is it difficult to set the pieces on the textured wall?

I need to show the picture to my sister. She is going to love it. We might steal your idea (but in a smaller scale). She has wanted to decorate her patio for years and some mosaic work around her windows would look great.
    I love doing mosaics but I have only done small things. One day I might do something bigger. I find it very relaxing.

I can't wait to see more pictures. Keep up the great work!
    Carmen

• triffid
    17 years ago

Seriously cool. And you haven't don't this before?!? Are you one of those people into lots of creative things?

I would like to know what adhesive you used and if you used something different on the smooth parts and the stucco. Will you wait until you have finished the whole thing to grout? And what are you going to use for grout?

I have a grill area in the back of my house that isn't covered. The plants are pretty nice but the stucco wall is boring. I was thinking of painting it but after seeing this I'm inspired to do a massive bamboo or banana themed mosaic on the wall.

• butterflygardener
    17 years ago

Kate, I sure enjoyed seeing this at your house. I wish I had the nerve to take on such a big task. You have done an incredible job on this. I want to see more photos as it progresses. I met a lady this weekend that just started a mosaic business. She is doing a beautiful mosaic strip about two feet wide all around her bathroom. It is all water lilies and water. It made me think of you.
    keep up the great work!
    kat

• tropicalfreak
    17 years ago

nice!!

cliff

• FlowerLady6
    17 years ago

Wow, you are doing an incredible job. That's a lot of work and you'll be so happy when you're done. Just look at each session as progress and a little further towards completion. Keep posting updates.

FlowerLady

• solstice98
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Update!
    Took this photo on August 20th.
    Progress is slow but each bit makes me feel pretty good.

Triffid - the adhesive I'm using is from HD - it's caled AcrylPro Ceramic Tile Adhesive '2 set'.

• solstice98
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry - I missed a couple questions.

No, I'm not using anything different on the smooth parts. The AcrylPro seems to work great on everything.

I'm waiting until it's all done before grouting. I know I'm risking having moisture get behind the tiles but I'm afraid if I don't do it all at once it may not look the same. Having it look good is worth the risk.

I don't know what I'm going to use yet, but I've already decided I'm going to use some of the sparkly additive. Have you seen it? Very cool. Comes in several colors including a pearl which is what I'm going to use.

• deborahmc52
    17 years ago

Kate, I have a bit of experience with mosaic, smaller pieces but am trying a table, a cement table top and bowling balls..coming soon! lol Make sure you use some sealer, not sure if you can use before grout, but definitely after..there are silicone ones I believe..you have to wipe the tiles after applying,as it does dull the finish of the tiles..I've been in touch with some mosaic artists on line and gotten great hints and encouragement from them..we want to do a small patio, but not ready yet..or part of the back wall with "The Great Wave" by Hokusai..isnt it fun! and you have done such a great job as a newbie! Keep the pix coming..try some yoga stretches for yr back..you go girl!! Oh yah, I say get the tattoo too..;>) Debbie
    Oh, any difficulty with the vertical surface?..does the adhesive hold or do you need to prop or secure them until dry?..thanks!

• solstice98
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Holds like a charm. No propping needed.

I initially tried troweling it on and then placing the tiles. Too messy!

So I use a pastry tube method: I fill a large ziplock bag with adhesive and cut off a bit of one corner. I squeeze goop onto the tile piece and then place the piece exactly where I want it. No mess (almost). One of the best parts is that I can set the ziplock down for days and easily pick it up again to immediately start. All I have to do is squeeze the little hardened plug out of the end and it's ready to go.

• deborahmc52
    17 years ago

Kewl!! thanks..now I'm antsy to start..lol..but not til we clean up the disaster-of-a-garage a bit..;>) Debbie

• gardener64
    17 years ago

Going to start my first mosaic and was looking thru every1 elses and ran across this wall
    is it done? would love to see a picture

• solstice98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeow - missed this post from January! Sorry for the late response. The truth is that due to a few family crisis, illnesses, distractions, etc etc etc... the wall pretty much was ignored from Aug 06 until this weekend. But I am thrilled to report that the tiling is done! Next weekend I'll start on the grouting, if I can find the product I'm looking for. I want to use SpectraLock Pearl Dazzle and maybe even their Glow in the Dark additive. The pearl sparkle will look good with the sun shining on the wall at sunset and the glow in the dark is just too much fun to resist.

I'm really happy with the way this turned out!

Almost done:

Last two tiles:

All the tiles in place! Woo HOO!

• zozzl
    16 years ago

That is really amazing Kate! Feel free to come to our houses when you run out of projects:) Pat

• FlowerLady6
    16 years ago

Solstice ~ That is absolutely wonderful! What a great job you have done. Such patience. Thanks for posting your progress.

FlowerLady

• gardenbrat72
    16 years ago

Wow, Great Job Solstice, you should be very proud of yourself!!

I want to do a mosaic on my bathroom wall behind my tub, one with a mermaid and under water scene. But it will be awhile, I was thinking of just starting to collect the things I want to use for it, then start once I have a good collection built up.

Brat

• Nicki
    16 years ago

Hey! Look at you Miss Thing! It looks GREAT!

Sooooo. How did you like the grouting? Hell, right? Putting down the tile is all fun and games, but the grouting.... uuugh. Drudgery! But how cool to have it sparkle and glow in the dark!

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

I'm new to this was browsing some old posts and saw your wonderful wall seems it's been a few years now since you completed it. Just curios as to how it's holding up. Has the Acrylic Pro adhesive done a good holding job.

• solstice98
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The wall was finished in May 2007 or there abouts but being a lazy crafter I didn't get it grouted for another couple months! I'm happy to report that it has held up beautifully without a single loose tile or glass button. I was afraid the larger 'ice cube' glass pieces might come loose when we had a week of freezing temps this past winter but they didn't. I'm working on a mosaic horse that isn't finished and went through the winter ungrouted that has suffered a little damage, but the wall continues to look good!

Kate

• coffeemom
    13 years ago

Absolutely stunning!

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Since the last picture was 3 years old and the topic was recently revived I thought it would be fun (at least for ME!) to post a new picture. I recently painted the patio and replaced the drapes I had put up 5 years ago. I use an outdoor fabric (Sunbrella or Waverly Outdoor) - I like the way it looks and it provides a lot more shade to the patio sitting area and to the west-facing kitchen.

With the dark wall around the mosaic (wall color matches the grout), the mosaic really pops and the bar stands out even more as a separate area.

Kste

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

WOW I like the color change on the wall It looks soooo good and thanks for responding. I'm glad after all your hard work it is still holding up. Hope you post pics of your horse. Sounds like a cool project. What will a horse be mosaiced on?

• GlazeGirl
    13 years ago

that is a wonderful wall. you have given me a great idea for a blah wall I have.

• bajablue
    9 years ago

I'm obviously very late to this party, but SO happy to be here! ;-)

Your wall is absolutely STUNNING, Solstice!!!! I'd love to see your other mosaic projects. Would you minds posting the links and/or pictures?

I have a question about the AcrylPro adhesive you used. Have you lost any tiles? I'm in the planning stage of my own wall mosaic and want to make sure I do everything right!

• bajablue
    9 years ago

Thank you for popping back in and happy that none of the wall tesserae popped off! ;) You've invested a great deal of time in this project and it shows. People tend to think mosaic art is easy (and some projects might be), but what they don't fathom is the incredible amount of time and creativity involved.

I've become extremely fond of using stained glass in my mosaics. eBay has some fantastic deals on scrap glass.

No doubt your Wonder horse is going to look wonderful when it's finished! I'm going to comment on that thread so I'll be notified when you comment (and post pictures *hint*) again.

Wait… did you hear that? I could've sworn it was a horse whinnying "Katre! I'm here! Come finish me!" Yes... I'm sure that's what I heard! ;)