Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Orlando/Central FL Swap 10/20/07

solstice98
16 years ago

It's a little early to be talking about October, but with all the other swaps getting scheduled I though I should make this one 'official'. There will be a swap at my place on Saturday, October 20th. Unless there's a hurricane brewing, the weather should be fairly dry and maybe a little cooler.

NASA is planning an orbiter launch for that day too so we could even have a good show!

See ya there!

Kate

Oct. 20 2007 STS-120

STS-120 will be the twenty-third mission to the International Space Station and deliver the U.S. Node 2.

NASA space shuttle

Kennedy Space Center launch pad 39A

Comments (46)

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

Thanks Kate, for hosting this swap. I'll be there :-)

I am starting a picture gallery with plants I have for swapping. Click on link below, and go to the exchange album.

Evelyn

Here is a link that might be useful: gallery page

• solstice98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Evelyn, what a great idea! I will do the same and start an album or slide show with available plants.
    Kate

• ariel73
    16 years ago

Kate,
    I am so sad! I don't think I will be able to attend because that is the weekend of my son's b-day. But who know maybe I can encourage him to have it the next weekend.

Evelyne,
    That is too funny I have been working on a "swap albulm"
    too. Great minds think alike!
    It is still a work in progress

Here is a link that might be useful: Swap album

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

Yes, pictures are great, I had mine for the longest time on photobucket, but there was a post recently about copyright stuff here on the gardenweb. Made me think and now I delete the photobucket albums as I upload the images to my website.... I am very visual, I like to see the plants :-)

Ariel, your plants look great! I would want a salvia vanhoutteii, if you can make it to the swap ;-)

Evelyn

Here is a link that might be useful: have and like to have

• zozzl
    16 years ago

WoW! What beautiful photos! You guys are so organized. I thought I might print out photos and have a notebook or something with the photos at the swap so people could refer to it. I am really glad you picked October,Kate. My cuttings and seedlings seem to be doing pretty well, and I am hoping to bring you a suprise as well.

Pat

• solstice98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ooo, I like surprises!

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

Kate - Count on me and Karen. Our next swap will be either Saturday, November 3rd or Sunday, November 4th. And I'm hoping to have a guest lecturer; someone who is an expert in plant propagation. Keep your fingers crossed.

Tell me what you'd like in the way of Crotons - a specific variety or physical attributes. Also, I've just sprouted Spindle Palms - 3 seeds per pot. They'll need a year before they go in the ground and should be planted as triples. But in 5 years they will look stunning!

• cindeea
    16 years ago

WOW Evelyn and Ariel, your albums are awesome! Evie, I am so happy you shared that georgous Lady of the Night with me. What a cool plant! Mine is happily growing among the branches of my maple tree-happy happy.

Kate, I so want to be there, but you know my situation. I will get there one day...I promise!

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

Kate,
    I figure you to be about 2- 2 1/2 hours from me.Definitely do able in one day.

• ariel73
    16 years ago

Evelyne,

I really hope I can go to this swap!!!! I am rooting more salvia vanhoutteii today.

Ariel

• solstice98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Salvias?!? I love them all and would be willing/happy to have a sample of any that anyone wants to share.

Crotons?? Ricky, I have some sunny areas and some shady. I would be most interested in one that can deal with shade and either grows large or spreads quickly. Of course, any bromeliads are also welcome trade items at this house!

Kate

• nova_gw
    16 years ago

Hi Kate! I am really going to try and make your swap. [The end of September and October have a tendency to be crazy at my house!] I have it marked on my calender. I don't know yet what I will be bringing as far as plants but I am always starting cuttings. Looking forward to seeing you again as well as my other GW buddies!

Susan

• Lady
    16 years ago

Kate I so wanted to see your garden and come to your swap but I work on Saturdays so maybe next time.

• solstice98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Robin - so sorry you will have to miss it! I started this one early in hopes that people could make arrangements but I know that won't be possible for most of those who work on Saturdays. We'll miss you!
    Kate

• zozzl
    16 years ago

Does anyone want any of the common versicolor brug(angel trumpet?) I don't usually root many because they are so common but if anyone needs any please let me know and if you want more then one? I don't care if you have anything to trade.

These have yellow buds that open to peachish color, very, very fragrant and extremely fast growing.

Pat

• solstice98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pat,
    I had a bad year for my brugs and lost several. Could you start one for me? I would love it!
    Thanks!
    Kate

• zozzl
    16 years ago

Sure Kate, I have started some already and I have ayellow/gold one also that is probably Dr. Suess or Grimaldi, who knows, lol! You can have both if you like.

Pat

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Kate, I am planning on come to your swap, save me some tipu seeds, please? I know it will be a fun time. How about I bring a broccili salad?

• solstice98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sounds great!
    I have already started harvesting Tipu seeds and there are lots more on the tree. I may try starting a couple but there will be seeds for anyone who wants them. This has become a beautiful tree and I'm eager for everyone to see it!
    Kate

• Irma_StPete
    16 years ago

Pat (zozzl), Yes, I would love a versicolor brug (angel trumpet seedling... they are not so common around here ...
    Irma

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

Hi,
    Marcia , Nicki , Are you going to the swap ?

I am rootin more of the elfers coleus. Who would like some ? Susan ( nova) how about you ?
    Steve and I are going to go to animal kingdom on friday. I was going to try to create a " cool box" in the van so the plants would keep till Saturday.

Kate, I wont be able to make anything to eat .But I can but something !

D`Ann

• KaraLynn
    16 years ago

I'll be coming to the swap! Your last swap was great, Kate, and I'm really looking forward to this one. I'm going to bring some kind of dessert this time, something with chocolate probably.

Kara

• zozzl
    16 years ago

Okay Irma,

I will save a brug for you. Anyone else want a common-type brug? Versicolor, yellow buds that open to peachish color, very fragrant. Grows like a weekd. Let me know if you do because I have time to root some more. I don't care if you have anything to trade.

pat

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    16 years ago

Hi Pat,

I plan on coming down for the swap. I would love a brug if you have one to spare! Thanks,
    Betsy

• zozzl
    16 years ago

Hi Betsy,

I will start one for you and get some others going just in case anyone else needs one!

Pat

• butterflygardener
    16 years ago

Anita, I can bring you a coral tree. I would also like to supply the s'mores.
    Did you ever get my e-mail?
    Kat

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

Anita, I emailed you too :)
    D`Ann

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

Kate - In the way of food, I'll be bringing a Boston butt, already to pull and serve, and a wee dram or two of some single malt. I have several Crotons set aside for you, a combination of sunny and shade. Would you like an Uncarina?

For everyone else:
    Linda (scents-from-heaven): Crotons - Pink Bravo, Rheedii
    Evelyn (abendwolke): Croton - Pink Bravo
    Katkin: Pink Bravo (and that's the end of those for this year.)
    Ariel: Croton - Kentucky, Uncarina
    Mel (sillybugs): Desert Rose
    Veronika: Colocasia esculenta "Black Magic"

For our swap (11/4), I have Pink flowering Dwarf Poinciana (Pride of Barbados) that have just sprouted. Most are 3 plants to a pot. I'm also starting some Yellow ones, 3 plants to a pot. I have three Tipuana that just sprouted from seed. And quite a few Uncarina that are ready to go in the ground.

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

Ricky, I will take one of the pink dwarf pon. if you don`t mind.
    D`Ann

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

D'Ann - not a problem there's around a dozen pots with seedlings, but they're not going to be ready until our swap in November.

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

Thank you Ricky :)

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Ricky, I'll take a tipuana seedling, if you have one to spare. I recently found out that the tree I have is an African Waddle not a tipuana. So of course I am after a tipuana now. ;o) Thanks!

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Ricky, I'd also like a spindle palm. What can I bring you?

• solstice98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

CHANGE OF PLANS!!!

PLEASE READ!!!

I'm sorry to do this just a couple weeks before the swap but I have to cancel. I've emailed Anita and I'm hoping she will be willing to move it to her house. A few of you were planning on staying there anyway and her yard looks pretty large in the photos so I'm hoping she can step in and 'save the day'.

I truly am sorry and was looking forward to seeing you all. Hopefully I can reschedule for a spring swap.

Hugs and apologies to all!
    Kate

• manature
    16 years ago

Kate, I can't tell you how sorry I am that you need to cancel. I was so looking forward to going to YOUR house, and spending the whole afternoon with you. I can't help but feel that this swap morphed into something much more than you planned, and that it was overwhelming to you.

I'm sure most will move on over to Anita's house, since that's where so much of the extra curricular activity was being planned, but I think I will just wait and go in the spring, when you feel like hosting again. It wouldn't be the same for me without you, Dear Heart.

Again, I'm sorry this has happened, but you know I understand.

Marcia

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

Kate , I hope everything is okay with you. :(

I will wait to see what is going on before I make hotel reservations.
    D`Ann

• scents_from_heaven
    16 years ago

Kate, I don't give a rat's a===s======== what your garden looks like. It was you I wanted to spend a day with. It was the joy of sharing time with someone I care about and other GWebbers I care about. Plants were just icing on the cake of friendship and love. Gardeners understand gardens and the work they take and that they are always a work in progress. Gardens are just an excuse to get together and share our love one for another and discuss our passion - plants. I am so sorry that things got out of hand and it saddens me tremendously. I know things have been hard for you this year and I understand better than anyone how things can become overwhelming. Know someone on the southwest side of Orlando loves you and cares. Linda

• butterflygardener
    16 years ago

Kate~ I was so looking forward to seeing you. I have a reputation of pulling weeds, you know! LOL! I too don't really care if your garden is pristine. Have ya seen mine lately? LOL! Hope you are okay. I still want to go "junque shopping" with you! This will give me more time to get some plants started. Maybe you could come down to Ricky and Karen's swap?
    Luv ya gal, Kat

• zozzl
    16 years ago

Hi Kate,

Hope everything is okay with you. Don't worry about the swap. I am sure it will work out one way or another. I actually have a huge backyard (extremely overgrown and weedy) but no shade so hopefully Anita can do it. Let us know how you are doing.
    Pat

• anitaathome
    16 years ago

I am sorry I did not respond to Kate's request / invitation to hold the swap at my house. I would love to do a swap sometime but am not quite prepared for that big of an event. Having a couple of overnighter guests and tours - at OTHER people's house (LOL) - was my idea of a good starter activity.

I remember her swap last year - or the year before? At any rate it was just perfect but was obviously not a small amount of work well before and not to mention during the event.

So I say LET'S ALL GO TO RICKY'S!!!!!!!!!! (Have you seen those pictures of his yard on his web site? We will get a garden tour AND a swap all in one!

If anyone from Orlando wants to car pool let me know. I have a big Dodge Grand Caravan I bought for showing my dogs that can hold a few people and still have room for plants. And if we trade for too many plants we can always strap people on the kayak rack on the roof on the ride home.

Anita

PS For those of you with whom I arranged a trade at Kate's, I am going to go over my notes and post to Ricky's invite what I think I had promised. Let me know if you are going to Ricky's and, if not, email me privately and we can discuss a mail trade or, if you are local to Orlando, a meet up. I have started all the plants I promised so they are ready to go!

• manature
    16 years ago

I think that's a grand idea, Anita! Ricky's sounds like fun, and I'm hoping I can go this time. Especially since it MIGHT be cooler.

Anita, what kind of dogs do you show?

Marcia

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

Yes, Anita... I was wondering the same ......

• anitaathome
    16 years ago

I show (ed) two Dalmatians. In conformation (the beauty pagent) both made their championship and neither they nor I as the handler are really good enough to go on to the "big leagues" so I stopped there. I also have shown them in agility which is where the dogs go on teeter totters and various obstacles. Serious fun. They are happily retired now and focus their energies on eradication of unwanted species (= not dogs or people) from my yard.

If you go to Publix and visit the dog treat section and see the Publix brand treats with a Dal on the cover then you will see my number two Dal, Eiger. He was selected because the Publix photographer lives in Winter Springs which is just around the corner. He is posed in front of the Tuskawilla Fire Station.

Thanks for asking! They are my babies so of course I love to brag on them.

I might have pasted in a photo below (not quite sure how to do this) and backup is the link

Anita

[IMG]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff278/anitaathome/IMG_2826.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:758940}}

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Cute fur babies Anita! I love the one on the right's face...just smiling and happy to be there!

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

Ill look next time im at publix :)

• manature
    16 years ago

They are beautiful, Anita! My daughter has a dal nearly 12 years old. Dexter is a lovely, sweet, highly energetic dog, and very loyal, to boot. She will miss him dearly when he's gone, I know.

Is Eiger the one with the white face or the spotted face?

Marcia

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!