Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hurricane plan

Posted by garyfla 10 Florida (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 4:17

Hi
The old saw "Prepare for the worst Hope for the best"
Seems like good advice ,up to a point lol
Curious as to others thoughts on this . the scariest of the possibilities are of course Andrew and Katrina.
In other words what if your house is unliveable or worse completely flatened?? Would you rebuild buy another or??
gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hurricane plan

We were the only ones in our neighborhood that shuttered for this one. Winds maxed at 40 and only an inch of rain.

If this house were destroyed...

If by water - outta here.

If by wind, probably rebuild on site.

o

HI
Why the difference in the plans?? Water seems by far the most damaging parts of past storms but have found this property faily dry experiemcing only one flood since 79. Think I'd rebuild on this site as the most expensive part is the land but would probably go live with relatives
until finished wouldn't venture a guess on how long that would take. Obviously won't live in motels for months and refuse to live in a tent!! Hopefully this is all hypothetical ?? lol gary

o

We're fairly surrounded by water here with a river, bayou and Gulf of Mexico and at 17 feet elevation. Historically, there is no record of flooding back to the late 1800's (per discussions with a succession of old-time residents). If we did get catastrophic flooding, I suspect our land would become river bottom due to a major change in topography. Wind I can deal with having grown up in tornado-land.

If it were a re-build situation, I could do a camper on-site for as long as it took, or even an extended stay type hotel. For me, that would be better than staying with relatives that amount of time

I'm all for hypothetical - better over-prepared than under for me.

Terri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here