Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jupiterplants

Flow bee hair cutter

jupiterplants
16 years ago

I am very frustrated with my last haircut. Once again , same person who cut it 2x before......... but then has a big brain fart. My curly head of hair looks like a mushroom cap. They agree , NO BANGS but if the top layer is cut to short to comb back / and it falls FORWARD.........its call BANGS !

Anyways, have any of you ever try the flow bee ?

I know , don`t laugh. I am seriously considering buying one. Even dh Steve who goes to the neighborhood supercuts has the same trouble. Only difference is his hair is kept short / grows fast/ doesn`t care.

But I do care !

If anybody has had any experience with the flow bee ( an don`t want to admit it ) you can email me privately

Down and out in haircut hell.

D`Ann

Comments (24)

• msmarion
    16 years ago

A guy I worked for used it on himself, but he pretty much had a skinhead. His sister is a hairdresser and she laughed at his haircuts all the time.

I understand your frustration in finding a good haircut. I've had some bad haircuts in my day but, once you find someone that understands your hair and what you like they are worth their weight in gold. Lack of funds has forced me to stop coloring and let it grow out.

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Ummm, welll, lets see how I can say this... I know, I have a friend, a dear close friend and he has used a flowbee for the same reasons you mentioned.

It has paid for itself (so HE says, I of course wouldnt know) over and over again.

Dont ya just hate a bad haircut? Too bad ya just cant stop it from growing when its 'just right'.

If you want to discuss this with my best friend, email me, I will get you in touch.

tony

• coffeemom
    16 years ago

Been in haircut hell. I totally understand. The prob with finding a great stylist is that they move eventually, like all S Floridians.
    Why is it they can't listen to you? In 1 salon I had 3 different stylists do the same thing. 2 great haircuts then 1 what the hell were you thinking?
    The best was when my hair was cut short. I went home and found a yellow line across the back of my head. When I went back they explained it was from the prev foil highlites. OK, but fix it. They did, but who lets a person leave with a line on her head?

• buttterflyy
    16 years ago

My hair is now part way down my back.. I've highlighted myself.. its long because... I had one hairdresser who gave me a great short cut that I loved, but she was down on perms. One day I gave myself a perm and then went to her for my haircut... she cut off every single shred of perm.... Found a new one when we moved.. great cut twice.. 3rd time my husband and I went together and she cut mine identical to his....and then she moved. I've given up and I'm too old to cut it myself anymore. lol Good thing I'm older and not caring as much these days!

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

I cut my own hair after may bad experiences. I use to cut all my kids and my hubbys too.Now that he is nearly bald he goes to a barber. I don't know how to cut half a head! I also cut my dogs hair after she got her eye poked by the groomer.Had to take her to the vet for antibiotics and it was touch and go as to whether she would lose her sight. THANKFULLY,Shes fine now

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

g.pond, Glad your bow wow is fine.

For awhile, I was putting my hair on top of my head in a pony tail and then I would cut it.

i think i will do that again ........ Shame that i can do a better job than those so called "experts"

do you use the flow bee thingy ?

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

D'Ann

check the attached link.

I just checked the receipt in the box ( I mean my friend did, yeah, thats right, my friend) and it was bought approx 17 yrs ago! WOW !

Here is a link that might be useful: Flowbee

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well Tony ya got me convince.......... if it is good enough for your friend it is good enough for me. I just need to let my hair grow out 6 inches. !

Besides I can always use if on my dogs if I don`t like it !

Sincerely, D`Ann
    who looks real bad with bangs LOL !

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

D'Ann, one of the blurbs during the infomercial used to be 'its humanly impossible to cut as precise as a Flowbee can.

While this may be true, its takes a lil time to get into the swing of its use.... umm so says my best friend.

You may still need assistance with a lil trim here and there but for the most part, its goof proof.

Looking back 17yrs, at the cost of haircuts, not to mention the inconvenience of getting there and back, complainin for weeks afterwards etc etc, I would say its a real time/money saver. I wish I could have gotten mine ( i mean my friend does) for the price there are going for now. WHen they first came out they were over 125$ about 12 hair cuts worth.

The way it works BEST is to maintain the haircut, not really whack a lot off with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: click here for comparisons

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tony,
    I might say , your hair cut.........I mean your FRIENDS hair cut looked great !

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

I will tell him

• ladybarber101
    16 years ago

O My gosh I hate to hear of the horror stories posted here...

I cant speak from experience with the flowbee but I have heard its used for maintenece as previously stated.. Remember the Movie WAYNES WORLD ...lol

I only want to be sure you all know state law in florida states that if you are unhappy with your haircut a personal service you dont have to pay for it. They can call the police and still sorry they will not get the money.. Go to the manager get it fixed and by all means let them know you are NOT happy..

I tell all my customers to be honest .. Rule of thumb is you can always take more off but never glue it back on.. Makes me crazy when people get so busy that they no longer care what the customer wants. Remember you are the one who got them as busy as they are and without clients the bills go unpaid..Besides you the clients are walking, talking billboards for the buisness.

My sister and I are both barbers and have been in the same shop for almost 8 years and too have had several people just disspaear after working with us for a period of time. A good sober stylist/ barber is hard to find but I must stress most people working in hair cuttery and super cuts are right out of school. They tried to hire me before I graduated and that is illegal to begin with..

Ladies check to be sure their cosmetology liscence is up to date ..

Guys see i they have a barbers liscence or cosmetology liscence.. Barbers get alot of clipper training and well stylist dont they get more color, perm, styling training..

Sorry for the long post..
    Donna

• AmberSky
    16 years ago

For me, it's worth it to pay a little extra for a very good cut. And a good cut lasts longer, before it needs to be re-shaped. I work hard to find a good stylist and then stay loyal to her.
    Of course, as everyone else observed, my good stylist is moving...:(

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi,

I went to the owner of the shop, he charges 40.00 and then I would give him 10.00 TIP.......... problem is he gave me 3 great haircuts. The last time he kept going to the phone, talking to people, and other job related things.

I didn`t even have him blow dry it , since I have curly hair. I never had trouble when i lived in Fort Lauderdale.

Cream rises to the top , I guess there is a price to pay for living in this sleepy bedroom town ! LOL

Im afraid its pony tail time for the rest of my life.

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

jupiterplants ! WOW, U R A big tipper! For that fee + tip I would suggest you have hubby practice on ya till he gets it right by taking teensy tiny bits off and then take each other out to dinner afterwards.

A lot of our experiences with haircuts is very similar to going to the dentist. You usually walk out feeling way worse than when you walked in.

It would be sooo nice to have a reliable consistent person to groom your hair .

I guess we arent alone in our feelings/experiences because the sales of the home grooming clippers and flowbee like devices is huge!

While I wouldnt want to be bald, I can see why some say bald is beautiful (no more haircuts)

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tony ,
    The trick with tipping good is that they remember you ! LOL

And they can ( and do) give a good hair cut. They just get complacent. Take you for granted.

And for the record, I NEVER go to one of those discount hair places.

I want my hair to be cut by someone who graduated from school with a A-B...... not a D.

I will not " wait in line" to get a haircut!

I need to grow out about 6 inches of hair. And my hair grows soooooooo slowwwwwwww :(

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

D'ann, your reasoning makes sense, its a real shame though.

Are you still pursuing one of them flowbee like contraptions?

You may be able to take a ride to see Lady Barber and be assured of a great cut, thats another option!

We need some medication to take that stops your hair from growing further once it IS ever perfectly cut to your liking.

And I thought I was the only one that hated haircuts!

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Absolutely !
    I have even recruited one of my girlfriends to help !

my bangs just need to grow , Grow, GROW !

Everyone has told me allmy life how they would love to have my curly hair. I say be careful of what you wish for !

• skchi2_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Wow .. so many messages yet not even one from a person who actually has used one. Well, if not me, then who ..

I bought the flowbee the first year it came to market, as I was frustrated with the time and energy it took to have your hair cut .. sitting there waiting .. is the worst part of the ordeal ..

I am an engineer, and I can see how this inventor came to his design .. just think .. almost every hair dresser cut hair by pulling them up and then cut to the same length with his/her scissors .. same principle in flowbee .. the vacuum suck the hair up and the blades cut them at the length of the plastic spacer you put on. The more spacer you put on, the longer your hair ..

I must say that I do not think it is designed for women's hair .. for guys it is not only adequate, it is superb .. because it is super accurate and versatile --- many different type of spacers for the layered look.

Needless to say I have been using it ever since and have not visited a barber shop all these years .. What a relief !!

The effect is terrific .. takes only 10 minutes .. I often got compliments on the 'layered look' of my hair .. The only thing is .. I need my wife to trim the small curvy hair grown at the back of my head .. connecting to the neck .. You can cut it there with the thiniest 'plastic spacer' but it is still not short enough and my wife see it and insists 'cleaning it up' with a rasor ..

My biggest worry is .. after all this time, these flimsy plastic spacers are cracking. I do not think I can get replacements .. I have one that I super-glued back ..

You sound like you know where one can still buy one .. Can you give me their phone number or the website link ?

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bernard ! so funny that you posted on this thread. I have decided that the flowbee would not be very good for the curly mop that God has given me that is supposed to be hair.

I did see it on eBay.............. and it got me interested. Now I just hold up a mirror look at my hair , pick up a curl and then I cut it ! Self taught hairdresser ! Glad you have good luck using the flowbee !

• deannac
    13 years ago

Okay...I use something like a flowbee for grooming dogs, it's called a clipper vac. This has several attachments that can go from a surgical length (poodle feet, no clipper burn) to a full 2". Flowbees only work with DRY hair, and I'd NEVER suggest that anyone with curly hair (especially a woman) use this. You'll end up with that 70's fro!

My hubby has curly gold/brown hair. I kept after him for YEARS to quit cutting it! He finally quit a couple of years ago...(now women follow him around HD...too funny).

My OWN hair is below my waist (just had it trimmed 3 weeks ago) and I would have hair to my calves had I not gotten it sucked into the Clipper Vac 5 years ago...sigh.

It costs me about $.80 a MONTH to maintain my hair, and it's softer than a 3 year olds, despite being terribly thick ;P

Oh, the longer it is, the more you can do with it! I LOVE to see the shocked look of my clients if they happen to catch me with my hair down. Some have been my clients for years and had no idea...my little secret, lol!

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay , I have a confession...... I'm in a ponytail. A curly ponytail that screams out middle age lazy - ness !

Clipper vac for Dogs and D'Ann. Sounds like a winner to me ! Ill check it out !

Thanks for posting deannac

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

My cousin is a hair stylist in L.A. I know from her that Curly hair should be cut while it is dry not wet. My mom, for example, has very curly hair and it is impossible to tell where her ringlets are going to end up when its wet. So she always has her stylist dry cut her hair and it makes a big difference. Also adding a very small amt of conditioner to your hair after the shower. just put a dime size amt on your palms and rub it into your hair. More if its long, will help eliminate frizz. Don't comb it after intitially combing the conditioner through and let dry naturally.
    There is a good product called Zero Frizz that I use because I have some curl and frizz although my hair is longer. You must put it in when your hair is really wet after the shower and let it dry or with that product you can blow dry it out straight with a large round brush or vent brush.

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sultry , you are so right ! Curly hair should be dry when cut. Why don't more hairdressers know this ?

I wash my hair and then the next day I put a few drop of olive oil in an I just cut away !
    Everybody wanst to shampoo me first.............