Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junkyardgirl

How many plants are YOU bringing in for the storm?

junkyardgirl
15 years ago

I'm actually running out of room now. I have all I can possibly bring into the front two rooms, and am now loading up the garage with the brugs in pots and other more important plants, and tossing the rest onto the floor of the aviary and onto the back porch. My house looks like a jungle!

I'll be spending most of the day doing this and cleaning up clutter around the yard.

Comments (7)

• piri
    15 years ago

I'll be moving a 3" Mango, 2" Meyer Lemon/ Key Lime, Basil, and a pot with a young mango and avocado to my covered and screened front porch. Everything that's really delicate was inside already.
    Do you think I should bring the mango really inside? That's the one I'm most worried about taking wind damage. I'm inland.

• junkyardgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Depends on where you are inland. The last storm track has it going right up into Charlotte Harbor and up just east of Tampa. I'd play "better safe than sorry". Mangos are pretty sensitive plants.

• wanda662
    15 years ago

No more! I'm not moving anymore plants, maybe a few (one or two). If they don't go in the ground I'm doing away with them! I've lived most of my life in Fla. and most of what we had was what grew in the ground.
    I love my Plumeria but my life doesn't count on me taking them in.
    I did take in my new pepper plants but thats it!!
    Yea, right!!

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

I brought in my 2poinsettias, Xmas Cactus,12 Hoyas,coffee plant, 2 Mangos,2 gardenias, 20 small assorted succulents, and my Huge Desert Rose. I'm sure there something I forgot to list, Boy am I exhausted. I think I need to stop buying plants, LOL...I live inland too, and I think the storm is headed straight up our way after landfall, Argh!!!

• the_musicman
    15 years ago

none

well that's not true.
    I filled up my shed completely. Most of it is stuff... patio chairs, tools, random crap from the yard. But I did store my collection of cacti and succulents in there. I don't expect them to take tropical storm conditions too well. A few new cuttings and seedlings are in there too. Everything else that is in pots is in a sheltered location on the side of my shed, all crowded together for stability (and company. plants talk, after all).
    Nothing came in the house. Ha, except the damn plastic X-mas tree that WAS out in the shed. It came in the house to make more room.

Everything good and positive to those who will get this storm worse than me!!

• gcmastiffs
    15 years ago

None! If my plants can't tolerate a measly Tropical storm, they do not deserve to live(G).

I do get real worried over Cat 2-4 Hurricanes. I'm very happy to get the much-needed rain this storm is bringing.

I'm normally beside myself with worry over hurricanes. I'm a native, and I know what they can do. This time, I'm not concerned at all, and am prepared anyway. Have plenty of supplies and 2 generators. We lose power here in nearly every windstorm. Yawwnnn.. I have battery operated fans and lights.

The dogs are bored, running laps in the house and tossing toys in the air. I'm letting them out less often, because wet dogs don't smell very good!

Hope everyone is safe and that there is no damage.

Lisa

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

All my orchids and new seedlings.Blue bottles were a big threat and windchimes and other danglies on the porch!
    And of course the DUCKLINGS!The heavy items we lay down.Don't think thise concrete birdbaths and cherubs will go to far in THIS storm