Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylvia_marie_gw

Running

Sylvia_marie
15 years ago

Bihai, 10-12 halves is quite an accomplishment, I've only run 1 and that wasnt a good experience. LOL A full marathon before your 50th is something to brag about. Good luck and happy running and remember...HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE! I speak from experience..hahaha

Sylvia

Comments (6)

• bihai
    15 years ago

I know....I had a full blown heat stroke many years ago while running a 10K in Southern California, and had a very bad episode of heat prostration a week ago. It's just so hot.
    Thanks for wishing me good luck, I think I will need it. After doing 16 miles as my longest run so far, I actually wonder exactly how I am going to tack on the extra 10 miles.

• ariel73
    15 years ago

That is so awsome!!!
    I wish I was in good enough shape to do a 5k.
    I just joined the Ymca and have started a fitness routine. I am hoping to be able to run the the 5k that the Hillsborough County's Sheriffs Office put on every fall.

Good luck, I know you will do great!!!!

• Sylvia_marie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well my one and only half marathon turned into a heat stroke too, carted me off by ambulance and had to stay at the hospital overnight! I dont even remember finishing the race.
    Ariel..good luck with your 5k, with all that exercising you will be doing, it will be a piec of cake for you.

I was thinking of joining the YMCA for swimming lessons.

• coffeemom
    15 years ago

"I go running when I have to. When the ice cream truck is going 60."
    Wendy Lieberman

• bihai
    15 years ago

I am thinking of doing 18 tomorrow. I am supposed to do 18 next weekend but we are going to Amelia Island for Fri-Sat-sun so I think I need to squeeze it in tomorrow. Wouldn't you know tomorrow is going to be really hot. Even if I start out at 6am it will already be about 75.

• wanna_run_faster
    15 years ago

I've done a few marathons and a few half's. Last marathon was probably like 3 years ago. Physically, if you're prepared, the marathon is do-able. The hard part was the mental part. It helps if you can do the first 13 miles as a group run, and the last 13 as an individual feat. I would run past the mile markers that said 21 and then turn around and ask 'what mile is this' and honestly have no clue if it was 18, 21, or 26. And I never had rust on my clothes after a half, but after a maraton a ring of dirt would coat my socks, my underarm & groin area's. The stuff would never come out in the wash. I could only guess that it was heavy metals being flushed out of the lymphatic system. Afterwards, you feel euphoric for at least 2 weeks!

We used to meet up at 2:00 am to start our summer long runs. It would be us, the homeless, and the drunks on their way out from last call down by the beach.

Bihai, what race are you doing? At least the fall in (SC? NC?) is great running weather. After training in Florida all summer, it should be a "relatively-easy" run.