Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scents_from_heaven

Gardeners and treassured friends, please check in

scents_from_heaven
15 years ago

All of my treassured friends and fellow gardeners please check in and let us know how you and your gardens fared so far. Hope you all had minimal damage and are okay. Linda

Comments (31)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    15 years ago

We ran out of whiskey at 4:00 this morning. Bloody storm, who needs this? Can't find a damn clean shotglass with all this noise - wind blowing, rain splashing on the windows. Is that the floor? How'd it get down here?

Somebody said ice? Who the h*ll puts ice in good whiskey? Pour him some rum! Blinkin' amateurs...

I'd walk the dog, if I had one, just to get some fresh air.

• the_musicman
    15 years ago

Tampa checking in. No rain. Variable wind, gusting to about 20mph. The garden is happy to have a cool, breezy summer's day. I may go out and mow the lawn later.
    We dodged a relative bullet. Could've been worse.

• the_musicman
    15 years ago

fawnridge,

best-post-ever

*cheers*
    hahahahaha

• scents_from_heaven
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry the single malt ran out and yes floors do tend to do those things. Glad to know your sense of humor survived. Linda

• jupiterplants
    15 years ago

Well it 12:31 PM and so far nothing worst than we get in our summer thunderstorms.....but the thing isn`t weakening at all !

Here in Jupiter farms we are soaked... haven`t checked the rain gage lately but we were well over 5 inches a little bit ago .

What is the most irritating is the national weather alerted out of Miami interrupting TV every 15 minutes to tell us it is raining,

and we COULD, have flooding , and we COULD, have tornados !

No kidding !

A horse farm in Wellington got demolished by a tornado ,

and some jackass decided to go surf sailing and got slammed into the ground twice. He is in serious condition.

Someone took pictures.....film at eleven..............

D`Ann

• tropicalfreak
    15 years ago

Nothing much over here In Ft Lauderdale. Just breezy and gusty at times. Little bit of rain off and on. A few down pours here and there. Like this kind of a Tropical Storm. The plants are very happy. Hope the lake is getting a fair share.

Tropcialfreak

• hopeful_in_Brevard
    15 years ago

I just want to know who did the rain dance on the west side of the state. You sent it over to us in Brevard. The wind is pretty brisk here in Melb. and were haveing a lot of rain. I brought some coleus in earlier but there are still a few out side. So far the oak trees and the house in helping to protect things outfront. My large wind chimes are just gently swinging. I have a leak in my roof in my bedroom. My son worked on it the other day but I guess there is a new roof in my future. LOL. The good thing is the aquifer is being recharged. We need this type of Tropical storm each year. Nix on Charlies, Jeans and Frances. Just heard a transformer pop! I just hope we don"t lose power. I told DH if we lose power this year were going to get a generator.

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

Greenacres area ~ Rain and more rain since yesterday afternoon. Really got strong around 1:15 last night and that's about when the tornado lifted that three stall barn out in Wellington. We've had quite a few heavy downpours and lots of strong gusty winds ever since. They are slacking off finally though, and I saw some sunshine bit ago, and a tad of blue sky. Things look and sound relatively quieter out there right now. Nothing was blown over that I could see. I didn't bring any plants in or wind-chimes either. I forgot about the chimes until it was too late. So glad this did not develop into a hurricane. The rain is moving on further north, and dumping a lot out in the ocean. We probably got about 5-6" of rain. I am antsy to get outside to play in the gardens, probably tomorrow.

FlowerLady

• junkyardgirl
    15 years ago

Wind? What wind? No wind to speak of here in North Port. A few gusts, but I've seen worse thunderstorms. Just stopped raining, so I guess I'll go see if there was any damage, but I doubt it from what I can see out my windows.

Phew!!! Dodged a bullet this time! Sorry for all of you getting all the rain. I heard that the Okeechobee area needed it because it was 3ft. down this year.

• katkin_gw
    15 years ago

Here in PSL, I had some little trees break or blow over, so I'll have some cleaning up to do. It was really windy and lots of rain. But right now it is getting quieter, maybe it's the center. But we were lucky this time. ;o)

• the_musicman
    15 years ago

North Tampa, checking in again.

Just got back in from mowing the lawn. This is my kind of day! Breezy, cool, nice clouds, no bugs. No rain though, either. The radar says the rain has been just 20 miles east of us... all day. We'll probably get some when the storm shifts back west again. Hope so. Some of my plants are actually drooping because we have not had a good rain in a few days!

My heart goes out to those of you who are experiencing the worse side of this storm.

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Its been raining here and winds gusting off and on between 40+ mph since early morning, Sebring Highlands County...I Love the rain but can do without the winds! As I type, it's 4:40 and it is still raining pretty hard,winds slowed down a little to 30+ gusts. Lost power for about an hour and a half(Not bad at all). Will let you know when it finally lets up. Will see what the yard looks like soon, I hope. Glad to hear most are okay! Stay safe, its not quite over yet, who knows where she will go next?

Saw the same video on the wind surfer, definitely wasn't using his brains...

• suegrew
    15 years ago

Just a few wind gusts. No rain but it is misting right now. School cancelled today here in Pinellas-my son was pleased.
    Nothing damaged in the yard. So relieved that I didn't have to move all my potted plants under cover.
    My fingers are crossed that Fay disappears over water but so far she's putting up a fight. Let's hope she doesn't intensify.
    Good luck to all and read Ricky's above post. I like his attitude.
    Sue.

• wanda662
    15 years ago

I guess my 12 pack didn't make it! I would gladly send all this rain to you on the west coast! My sister is living in California and I told her we have had 7" of rain and she said "we don't get that in a year"!
    Wish I could show you a picture of my area, flooded!

• katkin_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Wanda, glad to hear from you. There was a tornado touch down in Stuart on US1. PSL is flooded as well and we are still getting hammered.

• Melissa Houser
    15 years ago

We're right on the county line between St. Lucie and Indian River counties, so we're getting more rain now. I posted pics of the flooding around my house, but we're fine and we still (miracle!) have power.

I'm hoping that the additional rain doesn't bring water all the way up into the house! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread with my pics on it.

• Sylvia_marie
    15 years ago

It's still pretty windy and rainy here in Rockledge, kids are happy they dont have school again tomorrow. Sigh...Yay..

• SusieQsie_Fla
    15 years ago

Hi, Guys
    I'm sad to report that all my gardens have been washed in the salty waters of the bay. My container plants were sitting in it, too and many were knocked over by the winds.

I guess I'll cut everything back and wait and see, but I think I'm done.

I'll spare ya'll the gorey details, because it sounds alot like my testimony from Oct '05....even though Fay crept in slowly compared to Wilma slammin' her way in, the surge of Gulf water in the landscape had the same disastrous effect.

Take care, the rest of you enduring it right now!

Susie

• lakeron
    15 years ago

Just NW of Lakeland, Kathleen area, we had nothing. A couple of 5 minute sprinkles and max winds of 10 mph. That was today. But hopeful in brevard is starting to get even as Fay is throwing chunks of the Atlantic my way nothing serious as yet. Understand just south had lot of flooding.

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Woke up to an intense little downpour and decided to check the pool (full again!) so while it's draining and my hair is drying I checked the NHC update. Somebody needs to tell Fay it's time to move on! I know Central Florida is a nice place to be, but she's worn out her welcome.

We've had LOTS of water here in far eastern Orlando, but the wind hasn't been bad. I've got some banana stalks down and the cassia is laying in the roses, but that's all.

I've added a link to another really good weather site for central and south Florida. This is the South Florida Water Management District site. Go there and click on "Weather" in the column on the left. It will take you to almost realtime radar and satellite images, the NHC track, all the predicted tracks, rainfall amounts, etc. This is the site address where the link will take you: http://my.sfwmd.gov.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Weather

• linda_leaf _z10a_southwest_fl
    15 years ago

Everything is fine here in Port Charlotte. We had just a blustery day with less than an inch of rain. The outer bands of rain missed us completely. My nephew and family just moved to Cape Coral, so I am waiting to hear how they made out. My heart goes out to Suzieqsie and others in Fay's path. We have opened up a few of the hurricane panels so it isn't quite so dark inside the house. We are thinking about leaving a few windows covered until we are done with hurricanes for the season. My orchids are all squeezed together in the lanai and three even decided to open and give me a bright spot to appreciate.
    Linda Leaf

• wanda662
    15 years ago

The frogs and ducks are loving this weather. I listened to the chorus all night.
    Channel 5 said we got 10" in Jensen. St. Lucie has a lot of flooding too so take care Katkin and everone else in that area.
    Looks like its moving on out in our area.
    BYE FAY!

• beth7happy
    15 years ago

Rockledge, Brevard. 8 am. STILL raining. The pool has been pumped three times - thank goodness there is still somewhere to pump...water recedes in between squalls (showers only, so far this morning). We know, for sure, of > than 10" and there's more to come. Glad the water is still outside my house...not so for others in the area. Space Center and schools are all closed again today. Many roads are impassible. Plants? Oh boy. They can be replaced. most will probably survive.

• Sylvia_marie
    15 years ago

I did a walk through the garden this morning and all seems fine, fertilized and moved the plants out of the lanai so they could get some good rain, fertilized all my hoyas that have been hanging in the oak trees, poor things some barely had any soil left. The pool didnt overflow, some banana plants are tilted sideways but other than that all is well. Still raining and a bit windy here in Rockledge, Brevard, 10:18 am.

• tammynewb
    15 years ago

Hi All! I thought I'd check in from Cocoa, Brevard. It's after 4pm and we are still getting a bunch of wind and rain. So far no damage so I'm grateful. My fibromyalgia is going crazy, my kids are getting antsy and my dog's poor bladder is bulging because he hates to go out in the rain but other than that we have been very fortunate. My poor husband has been out in the weather all day since he's a police officer, but luckily the bad guys don't like to get wet either. We haven't lost power which I consider amazing. So I hope everyone is safe. Best of luck!
    Tammy

Something I did today to kill some time:

SCENE:
    -Tammy can't sleep. After taking another half of a sleeping pill she gets out of bed and opens the bedroom door.
    -As an after thought, Tammy slips into her sandals, so as not to bump her toes trekking through the house at 4am to get outside to the back porch to listen to the rain on the metal roof from TS Fay.
    -It's dark.
    -Tammy can't see, but it doesn't matter because Tammy knows her way around the house with her eyes closed.
    -Tammy reaches the back door and flips the light switch on the wall for the back porch light so that she can see the bugs that are just waiting behind enemy lines for Tammy to make one wrong move so that they can drag her into the night and chew on her flesh so that she is never seen or heard from again.
    -Before Tammy can open the door, she feels something with lots of tiny legs scurry across the top of her foot.
    -It's still dark.
    -Tammy has not opened the door yet.
    -She vigorously shakes her foot trying not to screech like a banchee and takes several steps back.
    -Nothing.
    -Tammy takes a step forward with her right foot. She hears and FEELS a sickening C-R-U-N-C-H under her right sandal.
    -Don't move.
    -It might have been a Froot Loop.
    -It might have been a cookie crumb.
    -It might have even been a piece of dried Play-Doh that was left on the rug over the weekend.
    -Please don't let it be a giant bug.
    -Tammy opens the door and lets the light from the back porch spill in.
    -What lies before her on the floor in a crushed pile of gooey bug guts and oddly colored slime, turns Tammy's stomach.
    -It was one of those giant flying cockroaches.
    -The ones that no one can get rid of.
    -The ones that would survive nuclear fallout.
    -The ones that live under your house, planning a coup de grace while you sleep.
    -THIS ONE never knew what hit him.
    -Which was good.
    -Tammy had ALMOST gone out with no shoes on.
    -Which was bad.

Tammy has had the heebie jeebies ever since.

• Sylvia_marie
    15 years ago

Tammy, I cant believe you picked it up! I would have shoved it outside. LOL

• solstice98
    15 years ago

That was a true Florida story! Thanks for sharing! lol

• lynne_melb
    15 years ago

We are fine in north Melbourne. I provided details in the discussions area under Auntie Jan's thread.

Tammy, I haven't even considered the remotest possibility of ever having one of those disgusting things in my house. I probably would have fainted.

Somehow my unintentional swimming with the baby black swamp snake in my swimming pool last week doesn't seem so bad. What is disturbing is that I screamed so loud that it could have raised the dead, yet not one of the neighbors noticed. Good thing it wasn't an axe murderer.

Good luck to those still fighting Fay.

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Lynne, good to see you check in. I was afraid you were getting flooded out over there.

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Glad to see SusieQ!! We'll help ya replace those plants, girlfriend. You guys always take suck a washing and beating down there!! Still getting rain bands here, 1/2 the yard is under water. Feeling sticky soggy and I wake up in the middle of the night to lightening and siginging with the frogs...still, we need the ground water, give it a few days and hopefully we will begin to dry out.

• lynne_melb
    15 years ago

Thanks Kate. We are fine, but I did post a pic on the discussion side.