Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Can we talk about photography?

solstice98
17 years ago

We see some beautiful photography on this forum and I thought it might be fun to share some talk about it. I go to the photography forum once in a while but they are usually way over my amatuer head.

I would like to know where you are at with your picture taking. What are you struggling with? Where would you like to be? Maybe we can help one another get even better at this.

Kate

Here's me:

CAMERA - I'm really enjoying my new 4.0 digital (Canon A85) but am still pleased with many of the photos I took with the old Nikon Coolpix 2.1. I'm convinced the composition of a picture is much more important than the quality of the camera or lens.

SKILLS - I think I do pretty well with composition and balance but don't always take the time to set up a shot. An OK image misses being a really good one because I didn't fix the background, remove a yellowing leaf, pull a few weeds, wait for the light to get a little better, etc.

CHALLENGES - I don't really understand the technical side of photography so once I leave the automatic setting on my camera, I'm lost. Partly, that's what this posting is about. Maybe we can each share one or two things we know!

WHAT I'M WORKING ON - I want to be able to take a picture at night that shows what I see at night. Dark scenery with deep blue sky and stars or moon shown in some detail. I don't want to take a picture of the Crab Nebula - I just want a pretty shot of the horizon with some stars behind a line of palm trees. You know that shot? You've probably seen similar pictures. How do they DO that???

Comments (24)

• minibim
    17 years ago

I'm pretty sure I was born with a camera in my hand; can't honestly ever remember not owning or using one.

It was a sad day for me when the camera repairman said, I just can't get the parts anymore for the Minolta XG1. Absolutely loved that camera and it has always made me a Minolta camera person. The Maxxum's had been out for years at this point, but I decided to "tinker" with a digital camera instead.

I really didn't think I would ever become a digital camera fan, it just seemed so "phony" to me! After playing with a couple of point and shoot types, I could definitely start to see why the digital was fun, but I could also see a lot of limitations too.

Bought the Minolta Dimage Z1 (which is what I still have) and it has a lot of things I really do like, but still some limitations to me. I'm still a long time 35mm person and I really don't need a "menu" and have to scroll thru a bunch of stupid crap that doesn't help me to take a picture. I also prefer that I could control speed, aperatures etc. Instead of having to turn my dial to the "running guy", the "mountain", the "close up face" - is really choosing my shutter speed too much to ask?

I bought the Minolta Dimage A1 last year, which is really just one notch below a PRO SLR digital - but I promptly took it back. Box stated it had "macro", macro on it was 12" which wasn't gonna cut it at all for me.

I am really chomping at the bit for the Minolta Maxxum 7D, but it's an expensive propostition between body and lenses. If I came across someone getting rid of some older Maxxum AF lens cheaply, I'd probably go ahead and get the body.

In the meantime though, I am getting ready to replace the Z1 with the Z6

• AmberSky
    17 years ago

I'm a cannon fan, and loved my Cannon A1, with it's beautiful telephoto lense, but it was stolen.
    For my birthday, K got me a Nikon Coolpix L 4, which promises to be more than a point and click, but I've yet to decipher it. Putting my hands on a lense and turning it as I watched the picture resolve was SO much easier.

What is the hardest for me is composition. I just do not have an artists eye. My daughter, who does, can take stunning photos with any camera. And she has a lovely Cannon, though it lacks the wonderful Telephoto lense that mine used to have. She likes the Micro lense better, anyway.

• scents_from_heaven
    17 years ago

Minibin, have you checked out the following website?

Here is a link that might be useful: cameras

• scents_from_heaven
    17 years ago

The link below shows what I want. I work with the Nikon D70S and I like the way it handles, etc. I don't always like the weight to carry around all day, but that is the joy of being a photographer. I am looking into a smaller camera just to have fun with.

Kate, you need to set your camera to the night setting, which generally is a picture of a man with a star or moon over his shoulder. Shooting the picture is not fun unless you can be very very still while the picture is being taken. It is best to use with a tripod due to the fact you generally have two shutters going off. One that is taking the picture of whatever is closest to you and a second to pick up all the background. I would be willing to come over and walk you through all your settings if you like or meet you somewhere for coffee or something and walk you through it or whatever.

Minibin, you do have good taste in cameras and I can tell by your work that you are good at what you do. Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: my camera want

• coffeemom
    17 years ago

Ok, I'm an old f*rt and haven't gone digital yet. My daughter did get a digital camera from Grandma tho, so maybe she'll let me use it. It seems to "eat" batteries. I went with her to buy it and after spending time with a very nice and knowledgable salesperson, he did admit better pictures are taken with film. Huh?????
    I want it easy. I point and shoot my Kodak Advantix, drop the film off and pick it up in an hour. I'm sure I'll be phased out eventually like 8 tracks.
    I have been known to dabble in 3D. I have an old Stereo Realist but the problem is finding anyone to do the developing.

• scents_from_heaven
    17 years ago

Composition is the easy part for me as I can see what a picture will look like by what I see in the viewfinder. I do not use the digital viewer on the camera to determine my pictures. I look through the viewfinder and it helps me spot the glaring problems with my pictures. My old camera died and I have not obtained a new one yet.

I am experienced with the Nikon I use at work and the other night I was blown away by some of the pictures I had managed to take. The expressions on the child's face as she gazed into the eyes of Cinderella is indescribable. You had to see it to see the magic that was taking place. The awe and joy on the child's face and the love and pure magic on Cinderella's face. That is what makes photography and my job so enjoyable.

I will be shooting weddings and birthday parties soon and can not wait to create the same magical pictures for the bride and groom and for the children. To me this is something that I feel I was born to do and just wish I had discovered it sooner.

Photography is easy once you learn how close to get to objects, how to be ready for that magical moment and to anticipate. As long as you realize that what you see in that viewfinder is the picture you are going to see in print, you soon learn composition and develop an eye. Practice, asking a good photographer for advice and learning by trial and error is the way to go.

All of you do a good job and your pictures are enjoyable. Thank you for sharing them and please keep sharing. Linda

• minibim
    17 years ago

Yes, the digitals do eat a lot of batteries, but I think the "knowledgeable" camera guy is wrong about film.

I'd think you'd be surprised just how easy a digital is. I've got a card reader in my computer, plug the card in and the computer reads it like it would a cd.

When I want prints I upload them to Sam's Club for 17¢ each and pick them up in an hour.

• scents_from_heaven
    17 years ago

Digital in a way is better than film, but then film has some advantages that digital doesn't. I just spent an hour listening to some of my professional co-workers discuss this ttopic. The final concensus was that digital was the best for today's needs and technology. I think it all depends on the photographer's likes and dislikes about what they prefer to use. The lens is the most important part of the camera and that is what makes your pictures unique. Linda

• mistiaggie
    17 years ago

My digital is great because we can just hook it up and plug it in and let it charge. It's a Sony CD Mavica and we've had it for four years.

• tropicalfreak
    17 years ago

coffeemom,
    you need to get the energizer e2 batteries for digital cameras. mine was eating thme too until sis told me about them. the batteries lasted 3-4 months.

i consider myself a learning beginner. i always wanted to learn photography with the all the lenses etc.

cliff

• msmarion
    17 years ago

DH has two digitals a Fugi and a Sony something that cost lots. He also has a Contax it's at least 30 yrs old it takes much better pictures than any digital I've seen. Digital is too complicated for me, too many buttons. I still haven't figured out how to use the vcr!! or the DVD or the CD player in my car.
    But I do have a computerized sewing machine!

• buttterflyy
    17 years ago

Mistiaggie.. I also have an older Sony Mavica 0- 10x optical.. I really love the camera, but its only 1 mg, so you can't enlarge any pictures. I'm looking for another right now.. considered the minolta dimage.. I want one that takes really close macros, has possibility of macro, telephoto and wide angle lens attachments.. .. So many to choose from.. and when I think I've found one, then I see another with more options.. I also want one with at least 4 mg.. I can't wait to see what others have to say.. might be the most help I've found in choosing a new one.
    Linda

• solstice98
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You might want to visit the GardenWeb Photography Forum and check out some of the pictures there. When you see shots you like, ask them what they use. Here's a link to one of the most amazing things I've seen. A very close macro with a perfect water drop and the photographer reflected (upside down, of course) in the water drop! Wow, right?

I asked about the camera and settings - and got way more information than I know what to do with. But those of you with more experience may understand it better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Water Drop photo

• scents_from_heaven
    17 years ago

Kate, sent you an email to explain a little of what she posted and also to explain a little about your camera to you and photography skills. Linda

• abendwolke
    17 years ago

I was using the CD Sony Mavica, and I still do, when zooming is needed, but the shutterspeed is very slow. Right now I am happy with my Canon S80, it is not too small to disappear in your hand and not so big that it couldn't travel everywhere ( compaired to the huge Mavica).
    And yes, I don't take enough time to set up, so I have to rely on Photoshop to clean up the mess ;-)

My challenge at the time is finding a different online photo storage place, seems my photos.yahoo is not letting me link my images to this forum.

Evelyn

• mboston_gw
    17 years ago

I love my Power Shot Pro1 but I just can't get those butterflies to stay still long enough to get great shots, especially of the Swallowtails!

I also tried shooting a video - wanted to record the butterflies coming in over my fence and swooping down and up through the trees. Can't seem to be able to keep up with them or they are so small you can't see them in the video.

Any suggestions?

• solstice98
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Linda, thank you for the very detailed explanation. As I explore more settings and play around with it, I may have some questions.

Evelyn, as you know, I use photobucket and really like it, but I understand your reluctance. Your pictures really are out there for anyone to use.

On the film vs digital discussion: if you currently use film and like it, then there's no need for you to change. But if you want something that you can manipulate easily, that fits into a small purse so you can have it with you all the time, and that takes an almost unlimited number of pictures then don't be afraid of the digital. On an automatic setting in normal daylight you will instantly be able to take pictures that rival most film pictures. I think the salesman who said film took better pictures was just trying to sell some leftover cameras! Maybe at a very high end it may be true but for most camera uses, I think digital is the way to go. (Keep in mind that this is simply the opinion of a non-professional!)

• solstice98
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I found the old tripod and dusted off a small telescope DH bought for me years ago. Then I found out there is no adapter so I can use the Canon A85 with the telescope! I wasn't ready to admit I couldn't do it though so I tried holding the camera to the eyepiece on the 'scope. I can't say it worked, but I think it was an interesting first try. And it makes me want to keep working on it.

• mistiaggie
    17 years ago

Holy cow! That is awesome!

• maureen155
    17 years ago

Kate -

If you ever have the opportunity to do it, you may enjoy attending Nikon school. They offer one day seminars that cover almost anything you'd want to know about digital SLR. I attended one of their courses a few years ago and it was wonderful. I think there's one being held in Orlando this coming January.

Maureen

• solstice98
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I took a couple pictures yesterday that I really like. Thought I would share them.

Along my neighbor's retaining wall at the pond - nice reflection of their palm trees.

Sunset through the Spanish Moss.

White Peacock Butterfly feeding on the blue porterweed.

• julieyankfan
    17 years ago

Solstice, were they taken with film or digital? They are beautiful.

Coffeemom, you made me laugh! I just finished my last roll of Advantix film and I swore that was the end of that camera, even though I loved it. It's time to get a digital, but I want at least 6 mp and 10x optical zoom for a good price. Does anyone know if you really need 6 or more mps in a digital camera?

My first camera was a Canon AE1 program, which I still use. I bought it in 1983 and the first pick I took with it was my son taking his first step. I love that camera. I took a quick course at the local vo-tech school on photography, but I could never figure out the f stops and aperture stuff, so I always left it on auto mode and I have albums full of great pics. I got the Advantix one Christmas since I was always complaining about lugging the Canon around. It took great pics and I loved the Advantix film. You could take the pics in 4x6, 4x7 or panoramic.

I still don't know if I want a digital SLR or not. I hate to spend a lot of money on something, just to find out that it's in a year or two.

Julie

• solstice98
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Julie,
    Any photos posted by me in the past couple months, including the butterfly and moon pictures, were taken with a Canon A85 digital. It's a 6 mp and really takes great pictures. Its does much more than I know how to do with it, although I'm getting the hang of it as I practice and test more. Almost everything I've posted was taken on the automatic setting.

Anything I posted prior to that - and some were pretty nice if I do say so myself - were taken with an old Nikon 2.1 mps! No options on that one - it was all auto setting.

Kate

I took this one this weekend at Diana's swap with the Canon. I put it on the Portrait setting to get a sharp focus on the flower and a nice blur on the background.