Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Goodbye to a great dog...

solstice98
14 years ago

I guess I just need to share this.

We had our elder Sheltie put to sleep yesterday and it's breaking my heart. Bandit came to us 9 years ago through a rescue organization when he was about 6 years old. Not sure why we knew he was the right dog for us, but his story touched us and we did an 8 hour round trip on New Years Day 2000 to get him.

He came with some odd baggage but he was always affectionate and a wonderful, athletic clown. Once we got used to him going insane every time the phone rang and his desire to eat the UPS man, we were able to just enjoy the good things about him! We never did discover why he would leap into your lap and start licking your face anytime you use a word that started with br. (breeze, brush, bring, brussel sprouts, anything with br) We just learned not to do it if we didn't want instant and close company! LOL

We also learned to be careful when calling him because he would respond so quickly. Furniture didn't seem to be an obstacle for him and he would leap over the sofa to come when called. He always saw himself as a lap dog and when he needed a cuddle he would just flop over on your lap with a big doggie grin on his face. Until his arthritis got so bad, he slept on the bed between our feet. It was almost as if he was making sure that this was a family he would not lose. We were his pack.

Strangely, all the cats loved him. They would rub on him, sit right next to him and curl up beside him to nap. We always wondered if he smelled a little like catnip to them! Each morning until the last few months he would have to take a walk around the pool each morning, checking out the yard to be sure everything was OK. We called it his daily perimeter check. What was funny was watching one of the boy cats trail along beside him like a little sidekick. He would trot along, stop at the same time and appear to be looking at the same things Bandi Boy was looking at, then look up at the dog's face. It was like "See? I'm helping! Right?" Seiously cute and it happened every day.

We really loved this dog and will miss him terribly.

Kate

Comments (11)

• olyagrove
    14 years ago

Oh Kate I am sorry for your loss

Reading your story about him made me smile - what a fun and wonderful dog!
    Olya

• msmarion
    14 years ago

((Kate and Jim)) Losing a pet is just so darn hard. Rest well sweet boy.
    Marion

• stuartwanda
    14 years ago

Kate, just know he will always give you a smile even though he isn't here with you. My heart is aching with you thinking of all the ones that have blessed my heart through the years.
    (((Big Hugs)))

• ginibee
    14 years ago

Kate, my heart aches for you. There is no love like the unconditional love of a pet and you have some very happy memories. I know you will always think of the joy he brought to your family just as you brought joy to his life. (((HUGS)))

Ginny

• katkin_gw
    14 years ago

Kate, just got my pc running again and was so sorry to hear of your loss. Pets become members of the family and it is very hard to watch them go. Just know that we are with you in thoughts and prayers. :o)

• tropicalfreak
    14 years ago

Kate,

I'm sorry for your loss. Over the years, I have enjoyed seeing pics and hearing stories about your Bandit. : )

Thank God for memories. : ) They keep those we lose close to our hearts.

Cliff

• crueltyfre
    14 years ago

I feel so bad for you, we've all been there and know how horrible it feels. But he's in a great place and will come visit you to let you know he's ok, listen carefully and I'll bet you'll hear his footsteps or collar. I know that sounds like I'm a fruitcake, but it's happened to me and everyone I know who's ever lost a loved one.
    Lori

• trinigemini
    14 years ago

Kate I'm so sorry for your loss. It never gets easier. I had my first real experience with this last year when I had to put my baby to sleep. I was so depressed we had to get another dog within a week.

Cruelty free....I don't want to sound like a fruit either. But after we put my baby to sleep I could have sworn several times that I heard her paws clicking on the floor. Hubby heard it too one night. I like thinking she is still near.

• tomncath
    14 years ago

Getting misty-eyed here, we are one big family, including our pets. I know you're aching Kate, and I ache with you. Thanks for sharing those wonderful memories of Bandit.

Tom

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, friends, for your kind words.

Yes, I feel like he's still here. He often slept near my feet under my desk so when I'm sitting at the computer I keep reaching down to pet him. But he's not there.

• gardencpa
    14 years ago

What a great tribute. He knew you loved him when he was alive and we know you loved him now he is gone. No dog or person could ask for more.

Melissa

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath