Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mistiaggie

Getting out of a 'Funk'/Getting rid of distractions

mistiaggie
17 years ago

Not depressed or anything, but just seem to "waste" away the weekends. We're still unpacking and we're almost there. But it seems never ending. I will get up and have intentions on getting started on something and do good for awhile only to have my inspiration dissappear.

The one good thing is we don't have cable tv anymore so I've rarely been watching it. The internet...lol been surfing garden stuff a lot. We were going to go to Fairchild today but the rain dampened that plan and then with the rain again we didn't do much in the yard. I felt so overwhelmed when I went out to do a few things.

Anyway, excuse the blahness...any hints on beating the distractions...or finding time/making time to do the things you want? I'm a hobby collector...I collect hobbies. LOL, I want to do everything but I know I just can't. So, I'm trying to let myself not do something. I want to learn to sew more than a pillow. Rather, make some nifty pillows for the futon and bed. I want to make a purse. But half of me is like, just go buy one!

Anyway, just rambling. Figure I'd liven up the conversations page a bit.

Comments (9)

• solstice98
    17 years ago

I bet you are just exhausted from the move - physically tough & emotionally draining. Take a couple weeks off from the unpacking and anything that you have on your 'should' list. Announce that you are taking a 2 week vacation so no one has expectations. Sleep in, treat yourself to a favorite food, make a pitcher of mojitos and pick up a fun book! You've worked hard, Girl, and you deserve a break!

It will all be there when you are ready to go back to it.

• msmarion
    17 years ago

Misti, I know from where you speak!! I have ADD, so getting focused is a daily struggle at our business and at home. I make lists, even if it's not something that will be accomplished for weeks. If you see things as one task at a time and not the whole picture I find it easier not to get overwhelmed.
    If you'd like to learn to sew I can certainly help you out even long distance. My first suggestion is to pickup a sewing book Readers Digest has one that's my all time fav! or Simplicity has a great one I don't recall it's name but it's spiral bound, that's the one I used when I was teaching beginner's. If there is a Joann Fabrics (their patterns ate always 50% off) in your area check out the pattern books for patterns for nifty pillows.
    Kate's right you two have been working hard. Kick back for a bit. Remember Rome wasn't built in a day! I've still got boxes that need to be unpacked and I moved here 4 years ago. Don't sweat the small stuff.
    If I can help further with sewing advice email me @ marion@chromehorseperformance.com. I'd love to help!
    Marion

• wanna_run_faster
    17 years ago

Well, Misti, I'm sorry you didn't try to go to Fairchild! I would have seen you there! We drove through unbelieveable rain but there was no sign of it at Fairchild. It was a cool, breezy, overcast day. I took a ton of pictures, the orchid house is spectacular!
    As soon as we got back up to Broward, we could feel the heat & humidity again. (Don't know why it was so much cooler at FG - might have just been the after effects of the earlier rains?).

Anyway, make sure you go next weekend, it is definitely worth it!

• mistiaggie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That stinks Wanna run faster! We just didn't want to deal with driving down and then "wasting" gas if it had rained. I'm glad it worked out for you. We've been twice but we love going because there's just so much to see!

• solstice98
    17 years ago

Do you have Fairchild photos? I've heard so many wonderful comments here but haven't made the trip down there to experience it.

• deborahmc52
    17 years ago

Misti..I was right where you are last Aug..and I have ADHD too! It's so hot and there is sooo much to do! I worked non-stop, my beau had to return to NH for business for some time and I was in shock, leaving 50+ yrs, friends and life up North..stop periodically and rest! Make sure you eat, drink lotsa water, laugh, get out of the house, take a walk or a ride..it's very tough to see it all and not work yourself into the ground..pls, I got very sick, there really isn't a need BUT it's hard to just 'kick back', espec if it's not yr nature..lol..like some of us. Try some yoga or deep breathing too..it helps..good luck, it'll all settle in after a while..Debbie

• tropicalfreak
    17 years ago

i haven't been either and i live down ehre now. alwasy dreamed of going when i lived up in orlando.
    guess i should just go one day during the week.

cliff

• solstice98
    17 years ago

Cliff - I bet Fairchild has a volunteer gardener program. This could be the thing you've been looking for! Volunteer, meet some new people and learn a little more about exotic plants.

• scents_from_heaven
    17 years ago

Misti, take one small task, complete it and reward yourself with personal time to work on something you love or go somewhere you want to go. If you take life in small steps it will be much more enjoyable. Remember, Rome was not built in a day and even God rested each week. Take one day a week just for you and your sweetie. Go on an impromptu picnic, go to a movie, go window shopping, nursery hopping anything that is relaxing, enjoyable and takes you away for a while. You will come back more energized and ready to work once again, but remember one step at time and then relax. You can always share with us how you are feeling and doing. Wish I lived closer so that I could assist you. Linda