Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalfreak

Vidalia Onions from Georgia....

tropicalfreak
15 years ago

Just curious if anyone has ever ordered them from Georgia? I cam across a cool site. They have sauces, salad dressings and you can buy vidalia's. Ten lbs worth is $15. If I could find a Green Market down here that sold them I would be happy. There doesn't seem to be a Farmer's Market anywhere.

Anyone down here know of one or two?

Tropicalfreak

Comments (7)

• scents_from_heaven
    15 years ago

Cliff, you have to be careful when ordering Vidalia because a lot of onions are called Vidalia but the true Vidalia have to be grown in or just outside of Vidalia Georgia. We had a lecture at one of the garden centers in Tallahassee on Vidalia and onions called Vidalia. It is the soil in Vidalia that makes the onions sweet. I know that they are grown in the strawberry fields along side the strawberries here in Florida and they are not bad. Here is a good link to order from. Linda

Most people know Vidalia because of its onions. The Vidalia onion was first produced about 1931 when a farmer's crop contained some particularly sweet onions. Other farmers started producing the same onion, and in the 1940's the Vidalia onion became an item sold to tourists.

Vidalia onion growers have protected their brand, and today all onions labelled Vidalia must be grown in one of thirteen different specific counties in Georgia or in specific portions of seven other specific counties. Because of their taste and reputation, they are able to command an increased price in the marketplace.

In 1990, the Vidalia Onion was named as the "official vegetable" of the state of Georgia. Year 2000 production was estimated at 40,000,000 fifty-pound (22.68 kg) bags.

Here is a link that might be useful: Onions

• tropicalfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Linda. Some great info.

You think I can just wait and find some at the Green Markets that open in a month or two? (if I can find them)

Cliff

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Cliff,
    Check your local Publix. They have some labeled "Vidalia Style Sweet" and some that are "Vidalia". First of all, I don't think Publix would benefit from lying about it. And secondly, it would be too easy for the Vidalia growers of Georgia to verify if it was theirs or not. If it says Vidalia at your grocery store, I think that's exactly what it is. The Vidalia growers association sells massive amounts to big grocery store chains.

Buying anything over the internet is always 'buyer beware'!

If you find them, don't stock up too much. They don't keep like other onions. Too much sugar that breaks down too fast.

Kate

Favorite uses for Vidalias:
    1. A big slice raw on top of a grilled burger. Actually, a big slice raw on any sandwich!
    2. Greek tomato salad: Cut up into bite-sized pieces with tomatoes and cucumbers. Add salt and let sit in fridge until the tomatoes release a lot of juice (at least an hour). When chilled and juicy, add a couple tablespoons of a good olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, then serve with a good crunchy bread for dipping into the juice left at the bottom of your bowl. This is good served with anything. You can even chop all the pieces smaller and serve it over the top of grilled or baked fish. Try it on salmon or tuna steaks!!!

• wanna_run_faster
    15 years ago

TF, not sure if they have Vidalias, but they're an organic farmers market on Hollywood Beach. It's right on the boardwalk by that big, run-down, deserted looking hotel and it's only one day on the weekends (I think).

• tropicalfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Helen,

So, that's where that Market is? When we lived in Hollywood east of US1 and a block off the Blvd, a couple months in a row we went looking for it, but only by car and there would be nothing at the end of the street the paper said it was at.

You are talking about the hotel that you see as you go across the bridge coming down Hollywood Blvd to get to A1A?

Thanks for the info.

Cliff

• scents_from_heaven
    15 years ago

The ones labeled Vidalia are the true onion. The ones labeled Viadlia like as sometimes the same onion plant but grown outside of the area in Georgia that gives them their particular flavor. A local farmer's market generally will not offer the real onion. The extension agent and farment who ran the lecture brought the same onion stock that was grown in the areas inGeorgia that produce the wonderful union and them samples grown in other areas. The real Vidalia onion was sweet almost had the taste of an apple, but the ones grown outside the region had some heat to them though not like a regular onion. I learned straight from the horse's mouth so to speak and then spent some time in the Vidalia region region while visiting relatives. Linda

• junkyardgirl
    15 years ago

I haven't even found one labeled "Vidalia" down here that tastes right. None of them are as sweet as the true Vidalias. Someone said it's because of the shipping and storing.

Florida sweets aren't bad. They're only around for awhile, like Vidalias. The Sweet onions Publix sells are Texas Sweets, and most of them are grown in Mexico.