Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalfreak

When You Are Laid Off.....

tropicalfreak
15 years ago

..can you draw unemployment? The owner announced with much regret, that he will be closing the business. He can't afford to keep it running anymore. This may be our last week. It started hitting me today. If anything, this job was great therapy for me. Nothing like working with animals. Especially dogs.

Worried that I may not find something for a little while with the economy the way it is.

Hope anyone in Fay's path will have minimal damage if any. Take care.

-Tropicalfreak

Comments (21)

• barbcoleus
    15 years ago

Unemployment is a rough situation but at least you're not in construction. There always seem to be jobs for people who work with animals. Good luck and don't worry you'll find something.
    Barb

• ladywingr
    15 years ago

All you can do is ask at the unemployment office. All it will cost you is time and gasoline to get there to file the application.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Unemployment Compensation Website

• lynne_melb
    15 years ago

I don't know the answer Cliff, but wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear this. Take care and good luck.

• wanda662
    15 years ago

Cliff go and check it out but I'm pretty sure you can get unemployment. Now if you were fired then it is harder. It's only for 6 weeks or so and will give you time to look for another job, which you have to do for unemployment anyway.

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    15 years ago

Hi Cliff. Sorry to hear about your impending layoff. I lost my job on May 1st due to a corporate buyout. I knew it was coming and have been actively job hunting since April!!! It's pretty rough out there right now so hang in there. If you do get laid off be sure to sign up for unemployment on that very day. Benefits (if you are eligible) will not start until the day you sign up. You can do all of this online. If you are eligible you can collect benefits for six MONTHS and then you may possibly be eligible for another 13 weeks I believe.

Good luck!
    ~Betsy

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Cliff,
    I'm sorry about the business closing. Go to the link below and you can sign up for unemployment on line. Unemployment payments are for people who are out of work through no fault of their own. You fit that group. There are some requirements but the site will walk you through all of that. Specifically, you have to have been working for the previous 12 months.

Even being fired isn't enough to ban you from payments unless it was for something egregious like stealing or punching out your boss. Even if they initially deny coverage, you can appeal and most people win on appeal. Ignore the attorney websites that tell you most claims are denied; it's a lie.

And this site will provide more information.

http://www.floridajobs.org/Unemployment/index.html

Good luck, Cliff, and keep us informed on what's going on with you.

Big hug!
    Kate
    (I attend lots of unemployment hearings as a part of my job so if you have any specific questions, let me know!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Unemployment On-Line

• coffeemom
    15 years ago

As far as I know people are still spending bucks on their pets. The problem will be the jobs that are out there won't pay as much as you're used to. Try the doggie resorts or grooming salons. They love people with experience who get along with animals.

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

Tropicalfreak ~ sorry to hear about you losing your job. May a wonderful job working with animals come your way.

FlowerLady

• natives_and_veggies
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry Cliff. We've had a lot of lay-offs recently at my job, and in my industry. So far I've been spared, but I really feel for you.
    Susannah

• lakeron
    15 years ago

Cliff,
    Did you have any regular customers? Get their names/phones so when you interview with another company you can put that on the table. Who would you hire? "I need a job" or "I had regular customers and will call them with my new location."
    Every advantage counts.

• imatallun
    15 years ago

Excellent advice, lakeron, and good luck Cliff!

My own bit of advice is that if you fax your resume, do NOT use a template from Microsoft unless you enlarge your phone number(s) and e-mail address by at least 4 font sizes. Those microscopic contact numbers become hierglyphics when faxed, even if the recipient has 20/20 vision and a good fax machine.

And remember, when a door closes, a window opens...I bet you find something that will pay better and you will love more.

• tropicalfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Cliff

• tropicalfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

P.S. I meant to ask if any savings one has affects the amount of unemployment you can get??

Cliff

• scents_from_heaven
    15 years ago

Cliff, you can draw unemployment and the money is based on your salary from the job you were laid off from. Get your application is asap. I am sorry to hear you were laid off and I wish you the best of luck locating a better job. Linda

• lakeron
    15 years ago

Your savings are not a factor. In fact I don't believe investment dividends are even counted as the only questions I remember that were asked on the weekly claim form was "Were you able and willing to work? Did you look for work? Did you refuse any work? If you had work how much did you earn?

So your 10K monthly dividend checks are safe. :-)

• solstice98
    15 years ago

That's right - those are the questions they ask. It's only about the job you lost and the wages over the past 12 months. Don't delay. Go online and sign up tonight.

Kate

• tropicalfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Today was our last day of business. Sad day. This week will be wrapping things up.

• julieyankfan
    15 years ago

Cliff, just a thought that might help out - how about dog sitting till you find something permanent? Maybe you could contact those customers you had and ask if they would be in need of a dog sitter/walker. Hey, it might turn into a little business. Good luck.

Julie

• lakeron
    15 years ago

One more tip. Keep a record of when and who you contacted for work. Remember the question "DID YOU LOOK FOR WORK?"
    Sometimes they will ask you to list the people/companies you contacted. Don't remember the exact form but do know salient points: date company/address who(name/HR Dept.) and how(resume/interview/application).
    I kept that info in a notebook that I took with me whenever I went to the office and they sprung this on me.
    Good idea from Julie. Another reason for getting clients information. Kinda like the mechanic that had the garage close and does oil changes at people's houses - cash only, no records.

• tropicalfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I was turned down and the this sheet of paper is soooo confusing. How can they get an income average from months when I wasnt even working?? Why doesnt this year have any bering on the "wage credits"??

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Don't take their first 'no' as a final answer. Ask for a conference. They can explain exactly what they are looking for and will give you an opportunity to produce the documents they need.

For claims filed in August 2008, they should be looking at the period from April 2007 through July 2008, I think. During that time you must have worked a certain amount of time. Talk to them and find out where the gap is and if there's anything you can do to document wages during that period.