Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflygardener_gw

Skeptical neighbors

butterflygardener
17 years ago

When I first told my neighbors, just behind me, I was putting in a BF garden they voiced concearns that my "cats" would eat their plants. I assured them, my "cats" would only eat "select" plants which were specific for them! I have spent a lot of time educating their daughter (10-ish)about the different butterflies, moths, and skippers which inhabit my yard. Now my yard, as many of you know, is a little "wild" shall I say? My neighbor called me to the back fence a couple of days ago and I thought "oh boy, now she is going to ask me when I am going to trim up my plants which are growing up and cascading over to her side of our shared fence". On the contrary! She complimented me on attracting so many beautiful birds and butterflies and other wildlife to our yards! I came in with moist eyes. Even my indifferent hubby and son had to admit it was "pretty cool". I just had to share this with my gardenweb friends as I know you of all people can relate and appreciate a changed mind!

happy gardening!

Kat

Comments (7)

• solstice98
    17 years ago

Kat - I am so happy for you and I can feel your pride. Well deserved.
    I also have neighbors who laughed at all my garden work initially. I constantly heard "what are you planting NOW?". It's all good-natured, but they truly didn't get it. Now they all realize the "wild looking" plants in my yard are the ones who attract the butterflys that visit in their yards. Even when I think my garden looks terrible and weedy, they compliment me and how pretty it is. They still kid me about it but now they really do want to know what I'm planting!

Congrats on converting a neighbor!
    Kate

• FlowerLady6
    17 years ago

Kat ~ That is such a great story! What all plants do you have growing? I'm trying to plant more hummingbird and butterfly attracters.

Happy Gardening to you too ~ FlowerLady

• butterflygardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for your replies! Kate ~ I love your garden and all the great pix you post! Thanks for the input!
    FlowerLady ~ I was so tickled you gave me a heads up on the hummingbirds! I was going to reply to your post today. My DH saw our first hummer of the year yesterday! This is our third year seeing them in our garden. I have so many bird attractors now, lobelia cardinalis, firespike, firebush, dwarf powderpuff, salvia (all diff. colors) coral honeysuckle, cape honeysuckle, turks cap, dwarf poinciana, porterweed, just to name a few. Those are just the one's I can think of off the top of my head for the hummers. I have several berry producers also. Many natives and some annuals thrown in here and there. E-mail me if you want to plan on stopping over and I would love to share some cuttings. mom of cfr @aol.com (no spaces tho)
    Kat

• gcmastiffs
    17 years ago

Kat, your garden is wonderful! Because of you and Katkin, I have adjusted my opinion of Butterflies, from unwanted pests, to "my friends love these critters, give them a break!"

I still don't like it when the Orange Dogs eat my citrus, but I now own quite a few "butterfly" plants and plan to add more. Your enthusiasm for Natives, and nectar plants is catching!

I talk about your gardens often, describing the "living color" that is everywhere on your property.

You have taught me a lot.

Thank you....

Lisa

• butterflygardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lisa, What a nice thing to say! I am so happy you are getting more caterpillar friendly in your garden. I love the "flying flowers" in my yard. It is so neat that we have influenced each other in our plant choices! I can't wait for peaches! And if I could keep those #@%* squirrels off the figs I would like those too! LOL! When you are ready for more bf plants let me know!
    Call me if you need me to relocate some of your "orange dogs" I have a wild lime just waiting for them.
    ~Kat~

• solstice98
    17 years ago

flying flowers --- I like that.

• FlowerLady6
    17 years ago

Kat ~ I just found this message this morning 4Oct., and will email you from home as I'm at work right now. This morning I was looking out the window over the sink while washing dishes, into the secret garden. The flying flower activity at the firebush was going strong, sulphurs, zebras, gulfs, and maybe a couple of others. I also have the purple porterweed that the butterflys love.

Haven't seen hummers again, but keep looking for them. Glad to hear you've had them three years in a row.

It is starting to be really wonderful out, breezy, not as humid and the temps are milder. Sure am looking forward to some chilly weather. Last year right after Wilma blew over we went outside and had to come back in and find flannel shirts as the temp had dropped to 58 degrees. That was a blessing considering we didn't have power for 13 days and had all the clean up work to do.

Have a great Wednesday ~ FlowerLady

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living