Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junkyardgirl

For everyone who loved the song 'American Pie'

junkyardgirl
15 years ago

This is the best 9 minutes I've ever spent watching a video. If you remember Don McLean's song "American Pie" and ever wondered what it meant, this will tell you.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Meaning of American Pie

Comments (6)

• coffeemom
    15 years ago

Thanks for the 50's flashback. The first job I ever had as a dog groomer had me working for a great lady who saw this concert when it came through Florida. She saw Buddy Holly in person!!!!!!! I was so impressed you would not believe.

The Vet I work for now was working at a farm in New York one summer and that's how he just happened to fall into WOODSTOCK!!!!!

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

I love the song and still listen to it on the oldies station.Dont remember Buddy as I was a tad young.
    We always tried to figure the meanings out,mostly we felt it was about the end of the world.
    Thanks

• minibim
    15 years ago

.... and if you are a country fan or trivia fan - Waylon Jennings was supposed to be on the plane and gave up his seat to the Big Bopper.

-------------

Signed, Poor me longing for the days of REAL country like Waylon, Bocephus etc!!!! lol

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Being old and a Buddy Holly fan, the song was never a mystery to me. I clearly remember talking about it when it first came out but I haven't thought of it in years and never thought about it being a mystery!

My brother in law was in a Buddy Holly tribute band for years and is sort of an expert on his life and those times.

• hopeful_in_Brevard
    15 years ago

Thank you Junkyardgirl. I just spent about 45minutes listening to Don McLean. I always loved American Pie and Starry Starry night. I love Van Gough and read "Lust for Life" and also "Dear Theo" the actual letters from VanGough to his brother Theo. Don McLean mirrored my feelings for Van Gough exactly. I always felt he was to gentle for this world. I so enjoyed the videos.
    I was touched by "Tapistry". I always wondered how someone "McLean" could have had so much insight into life at such a young age. Again Thank you.

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness, what a wonderful tribute...I played it and watched it 3 times and saved to watch again. I love this song, the stories about Don McLean have always been (like solstice said) a part of an old farts memory!! So much of the story I had forgotten, but every time it comes on the radio, I crank it up and sing along.

Starry starry night is a song of Buddy's that I sing myself to sleep with. Before I go to bed I usually sit on the patio for a few moments, say my prayers, count my blessings and look at the stars...Starry, Starry night just comes out of my mouth.

THANK YOU for posting this, it is great!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?