Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kayjones481950

New Floridian!

kayjones
15 years ago

A few of you already know me - I moved to Panama City Beach on Sept. 1st - LOVE IT! The flowers are incridible - can't wait to get my tropicals in the ground. I have a beautiful yard that is 1/3 acre, chocked full of plants. I look forward to calling myself a 'Floridian', but 'they' tell me you have to live here for 12 months for it to be 'official'! LOL

Comments (12)

• Lisa Brown
    15 years ago

Welcome! A year probably does it. Maybe a full hurricane season is the key lol. Make sure you head over to the other coast (my favorite) so you get the whole package. :o)

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Welcome to the state of erratic weather.
    Make sure you get plugged into your county extension service for all the free publications and info you could ever dream of.

• junkyardgirl
    15 years ago

KAY!!! So good to see you! I'll get to see you in this forum more often now that you're actually down here.

• scents_from_heaven
    15 years ago

Welcome. and yes, PC is a nice area. I lived in Tallahassee a long time before moving to central florida. Looking forward to getting to know you better. Linda

• the_musicman
    15 years ago

Hi, and welcome.

Everyone has a different opinion of what makes a Floridian.
    I say that when you find yourself cursing the "danged snobirds" and "freakin' tourists", you've probably attained the status of . . . Floridian.
    happy gardening :)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    15 years ago

Welcome to FL. I haven't been here but 6 mos or so either. However, I have lived in 12 different states and seen plenty of Snowbirds in AZ and went through both H. Katrina, and got flooded out of my house in H. Rita while in S. LA, I lived outside the east gate of Yellowstone Park once in WY for a couple yrs and we had plenty of tourists there!! Soooo does that make me a Floridian yet? LOL!! I don't really care, I like learning about new cultures and seeing new things and luckily my dh and I have jobs that allow that. FL is just great.
    ~Lenette

• mboston_gw
    15 years ago

Welcome...but I was told when my family moved here in 1965 from Maryland that you weren't a Floridian till you had to dig out your coat to wear in January. I think it took me two winters before that happened!

• lakeron
    15 years ago

While it is permissible to say, "When I was in (Indiana, England, France, Japan) they did it this way." Saying, "The way we did it back home ...." is grounds for deportation! If it ain't a law, it should be! :-)

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

the saying most hated by the Floridians is
    THATS NOT the way we did it up north!
    Especially to church people. Yes. there are other colors for church carpet besides RED!!!!

• gatormomx2
    15 years ago

To find tons of info about your area , go to Soulutionsforyourlife.com . This will send you to the University of Florida and their vast resources .

To go directly to the Bay County link , try this :
    http://bay.ifas.ufl.edu

• Lisa Brown
    15 years ago

LOL - I wear my long johns in January!
    But Central Fla is the furthest "North" I have ever lived!

• kayjones
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to each of you for the warm welcome! Please keep the hints coming - I am learning something different and new every day!

Right now, I am basically emptying boxes, buying furniture and trying to set up a 'home' - I'm too tired to do much of anything else.

JYG, I forgot (if you ever told me) where you live - if you are close enough, let's get together! Of course, I would love to meet any of you - I love making new friends.

I do take time to spend 2-3 hours with my little grandsons each day during the week and all day on the weekends - they are such a delight.

Sunday, I swam in the ocean (can't swim), got knocked down by the waves, and got sand in unseen places, but had a good time. I only spent 30 minutes on the beach so I can get my body acclimated to the sun - I surely don't need a sunburn!